Propane Restrictions

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by strangiato, Sep 20, 2020.

1. strangiato

strangiato Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey All,
    Just wondering what folks know about the restrictions of pulling a popup with a 20lb propane tank (and even a few 1lb tanks) through a tunnel. Living in SE PA, there are a few highways that I plan to take in the future that include tunnels through mountains in PA, and also under water if I head south to Baltimore and/or Virginia Beach.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Majority of them have a restriction for the amount that can be transported through them..usually over 100lbs.. I have gone through many carrying the 2x 30lb tanks on the tongue and a 20lb tank in the bed of the truck. With no issues..

The bigger restriction is some of the longer tunnels you have to shut off the tanks while passing through (same goes for ferries and a few bridges).

3. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Member

Do a google search for the tunnel you are going through - chances are it has a web page that will describe the restrictions. For example, a search for the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel provides a page on carrying hazardous materials (FYI in both Maryland Tunnels - Baltimore Harbor and Ft. McHenry - vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers) are prohibited in the tunnels. They even provide the regulation if you are interested (COMAR Title 11, Subtitle 7, Chapter 1).

The other issue you may run into is actually paying the toll. Again looking at Maryland they are all electronic using EasyPass (they used COVID as an excuse to go all electronic on a temporary measure and then made it permanent). Where I live I have no need for an EasyPass. Never fear, they will take a picture of your license plate and charge you 1 1/2 times the usual rate.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

When I travel I have to look up every bridge/tunnel manually as I haven’t seen a website with all rules/restrictions in one site. I’ve been very fortunate there was only one bridge I could not go on, but I think that had to do with wind at the time vrs propane tanks. I’ve had to make sure all propane was turned off and some places may even have you pull over so the attendant could check. I ran into problems with roads that did not allow campers. One parkway I went on to prohibited trailers and apparently I missed the sign. One Expensive ticket later I now do a ton of research before a trip. Just wish there was an easier way.

kitphantom likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Depends on the bridge, tunnel. Some want then shut off, some don't allow it at all. Better to look it up and plan ahead.

6. strangiato

Thanks for all great info!
    Since I don't have a fridge, I don't need to leave the propane on. I don't think I've actually turned the bottle on yet. Maybe I should test that soon since it's getting colder (boooo!!!!).

I have EzPass, as PA uses it and I am not far from the turnpike and the bridges to NJ, so I use it frequently enough. In fact, the closest Camping World to me is just over the Commodore Barry bridge in NJ. I'll check out the web pages for the bridges. Never even occurred to me that a bridge or tunnel would have a dedicated page, but it makes perfect sense. So it seems that I could change to two 11 lb tanks and carry the same amount of propane and be able to go through the Bal'mer tunnels.

Maybe we should start a collection here, organized by state, just like the campground reviews. PopUpSteve?

Spridle likes this.
  7. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

It has been years since I drove thru the tunnel under the Houston ship channel but, as I remember they had an inspection lane for trucks and anyone caring flammable gas depending on the cargo of the truck they turned them around campers had to turn off their bottles.

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

No one size fits all answer, you have to check every one you are going to use.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Going thru Baltimore you will need to bypass the tunnel. You will have to take rt 695 and go over the Francis Scott Key bridge. Yup a little out of the way!

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

And i hope they finished working on it. Last year was a pita to cross that thing. Almost ran out of gas in the traffic.

11. strangiato

Thanks all for your insights. I now have a better understanding of what I need to know and do for each trip!