Propane System Questions

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Jschares, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Jschares

Jschares New Member

One of the previous owners of my 1995 Coleman Rio Grande removed almost all of the propane system. All that's left now is the hard lines under the camper. I have some questions about what it would actually take to replace some of those components in the future. Ultimately, I would like to be able to use the quick connects inside and outside the camper to run a heater or a stove (like a Mr. Heater and a Coleman propane stove). Here is a picture of the line at the front of the camper where the tanks used to be. [​IMG][​IMG]
    I think it's a 3/8 in line, but what kind of connector would I need. Also what type of regulator? From what I understand, it would have originally been low pressure (0.4 PSI) but that noting really runs on that pressure. Since there is nothing there that needs that low pressure (no furnace), would I be able to use a 15 PSI regulator to attach to a stove or heater or would that not be a great idea?

I realize that there may have been a reason that this was all disconnected and that there are probably easier and cheaper options, but I just wanted to know what is possible and what would be needed at this point.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Your picture isn't viewable to me. The Mr. Heater and Coleman stoves are high pressure systems. I would run new lines if you are going to leave the appliances in 1 place. Alternatively, you can run an extension like this one directly from the tank to the appliance. 5ft hose.jpg

O'ville likes this.
  3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

For inside you want regulated low pressure and that calls for a 2 stage RV regulator. This generally connects to the propane cylinder via a pigtail with the big green ACME nut at the cylinder.

For out side container pressure you could tee just before the regulator above and supply container pressure to any regulated appliance.

An alternative is cylinder - pig tail - 15-30 psi reg - tee to outside -other side of tee to 2 stage RV regulator - to inside appliance.

you can see the 95 destiny series parts book for factor setup
    https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/parts-books

4. Jschares

Jschares New Member

Hopefully I have the picture fixed. Are you saying I could run new lines just to be sure the old ones aren't bad, or is there a reason the lines that are in there wouldn't handle 15PSI? To be clear, there is nothing in the PUP that could use low pressure, but if there is another reason to not just run high pressure through the current lines I obviously wouldn't want to do something dangerous.

5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

If the old lines weren't sealed correctly, you will have dirt and bug junk in them. Long term, I would rather have new lines.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

RIVA NPFA Code calls for regulated low pressure inside and outside regulated to 30 psig or less within 60" for travel.

quick disconnects are generally associated with regulated low pressure, MBSTURGIS and others do offer some for container pressure. I'd stick with the disposable 1x20 threaded connections on the outside.