Propane tank attachment "Hook bools" - cant find!

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by ShaneSD, Aug 12, 2021.

1. ShaneSD

ShaneSD New Member

Hello,

**Edit. I meant "Hook BOLTS" in the title, but I'm not sure how to edit a title**

This weekend I just did a tongue mod where I relocated my second battery a bit farther forward which made room to add a second propane tank next to my first propane tank. The tank mounts with those J-clips; ex. the long metal "bolts" that hook into the tank handle and attach to the tongue of the camper and are secured with wingnuts. I am now in need of a second set of these "brackets" or "bolts" or "J-clips" or whatever they happened to be called. I figured I could stop at home depot or Amazon and get a set, but I'm finding them elusive. Anyone know where to get these?

Thanks in advance.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

In the past, we found ours on eBay. Some RV stores may have them too. (I’d do some searching and provide links, but I’m camping and doing limited online on my phone)
    ETA: since they were common on Coleman pups, colemanpopupparts may be another source

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Hoser

Hoser Member

I had one of my hook bolts rattle loose a few hours down a bumpy highway and had me dragging/bouncing my propane tank a couple hundred feet down the road. It had a locking washer on it, but still managed to work itself loose. No faith in them anymore, so I've changed to a ratchet strap. No issues with the ratchet strap so far, just gotta check it occasionally for fraying.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Some threaded rod may work as a replacement, just have to bend the hook.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

you just need to use the right search phrase, I too at first came up empty.

Attached Files:

7. Jwwiff

Jwwiff Member

When using the LP bottle mounting brackets, either use an interference nut or a nyloc type of nut as those won’t loosen up under vibration. The ones on my camper are actually an interference wing nut. They are tough to get off by hand and never have loosened up during transport over the years we have been camping. McMaster has a nyloc wing nut on their web site.

8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I do not use lock nuts or nylocs - my plain wing nuts get tight enough and the "spring" in the J-rods keeps the wingnuts tight.

9. ShaneSD

ShaneSD New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm really surprised how difficult these are to find. My understanding is they are on every $150 box store propane bbq grill ever made. $25-$35 is somewhat insane (and colemanpopup parts is sold out anyway).

I'll find a $1.00 solution somehow. Probably find some straight threaded rod as suggested above.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have never sceen them on a propane grill, ever. You can probably order them in a camping store, or as said bend some yourself. Online stuff sometimes has added costs built into it for shipping.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

3 foot threaded rod should be about 10 bucks , add in some fastiners 14 bucks. Cut and bend it, then install it. You have the other set for a template. Should work out fine. You save about 10 bucks.

neighbormike likes this.