Propane tank trouble

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Tom and Teresa, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

We are leaving soon to go out west to Yellowstone and other areas…love our Rockwood A-frame. So much fun when we went to the southwest in 2017. The one thing we’ve noticed this year is that when one gas tank is empty, it doesn’t automatically switch to the other tank. We have to switch the tanks around as when either tank is on one certain side, it won’t work. We figure a blockage of some sort…anybody else ever have this happen? Thanks friends!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dont know, maybe a picture of what you have for a regulater will help. They have autochangeover ones and ones that dont do it automatically. Who knows what one you have. Someone will sort it for you.

Econ likes this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

No help here, but hope y'all have a great trip! Keep us posted w/ pics etc...

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

DiamondGirl likes this.
  5. Jkoht

Jkoht Member

Do you know if you actually have an automatic changeover regulator? In my experience they haven't come standard on trailers, just manual changeover ones. I had to buy one for my dad's trailer and install it for him.

Allamakee County and DiamondGirl like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Until I joined this forum way back when, I had never heard of a manual change over dual regulator.. every dual setup I had seen and used was an automatic change over..

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

On my Aliner Classic, we had to physically turn the switch over to the full tank side. It wasn’t automatic. Plus if it still doesn’t work, you may have to turn the propane off, remove the lines to reset the diaphragm and then reattach the lines. This has worked for us with the Aliner, the propane fire pit, grill, and now with KODI.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Allamakee County and Hilldweller like this.
  8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

When I upgraded to two tanks I started out with a regulator that looked like this
    [​IMG]

After about a year I could see mold growing inside the knob and the changeover began sticking. I would have to manually switch to the second tank almost every time for a couple of years. Then twice I had to swap the tanks from one side to the other, which is a pita with the bunk out.

I replaced that regulator a Marshall Excelsior, a little more pricey but a good reputation. I wish I could give you a glowing review but I haven't been able to use it enough so far. The one time it changed over I didn't even notice until takedown.

Econ likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Do some wintertime camping and you'll learn about propane, especially when you have the furnace going and run out of propane at 3 a.m. ;)

neighbormike, Westcoast and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Lol, i only would have voltage hook ups, and the ellecteic heaters would do fine. I do want to test the heated underbelly of the camper though. I will fill the duel 30 lbers soon.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  11. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Rockwood / Forest River uses the cheapest regulators they can lay their hands on. Get a Marshall MEGR-253H.

Also, if you have ACME fittings on the pigtails remove the check valve ball that is inside it. Stupid gubmint regulations forced the manufacturers to install the idiotic thing and you already have safety features built into the tank valve.

They can play havoc with auto change regulators. Most you simply pry out with a pick, or use a pair of pliers to remove the brass nipple in the picture, then the check valve ball and spring pop right out. Just press the brass nipple back in. I've seen a few that screw out, in that case visegrips.

[​IMG]

rmihalcin, Westcoast and Econ like this.
  12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We use minimal heat so never had a tank "change over" except once. Low tanks are caught in preflight or post flight inspection and dealt with except once. That was when a pigtail developed a leak and drained the tank then with the auto change over it drained the other tank. 40 pounds of propane. I personally wouldnt get another "auto change over" unless in Canada, etc. How often do you "run out of propane at 3 AM"

@Tom and Teresa
    Personally I would replace the pigtails. Problem solved

My regulator and pigtails only lasted about 5 years. How old is yours? Spray some soapy water on your regulator.

Susan Premo and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It only happened to us once. Now I only leave one tank is open at a time. That way when the missus wakes you up in the middle of the night, you have a quick fix and it only interrupts your sleep for five minutes. Get the empty refilled and you're good to go again.

neighbormike, Susan Premo and Econ like this.
  14. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We turned one pigtail off so no more lost both bottles because it changed over. Some one lent us a bottle for the night. Felt obligated to make sure it was topped off. Spent 5 hours the next day driving into town finding someone who will partially fill his bottle.

DiamondGirl and kcsa75 like this.
  15. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

Wow, great info! We have that, the woman we bought our aliner from really seemed to get good quality stuff. So many things that everyone talks about are in it. Pretty good for a bit of an older model. 2011.

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Tait

Tait Active Member

I second the preference for manual change over… It's much better to run out of the first tank unexpectedly and still have a second tank then to run out of the second tank unexpectedly and be out of propane… Particularly in the middle of the night!

kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.