Proper PSI?????

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by rayray311, Aug 25, 2011.

1. rayray311

rayray311 New Member

hey all...just bought a 1984 Viking Little Gasser...great little pop up in great shape. its 800 something neight weight.

i cant figure out what the proper pis is for the tires. i will try to write down here exactly what the sidewall says.

6P.R. 77M load range C Tubeless
    Max Load 910lbs/415kgs at 75psi/5.2 Bar Cold

I assume that means 75psi....but that just seems real high to me.

also, max load only 910? does that mean that the former owner would always pull this thing empty without anything inside camper? because I was hoping to load it up with gear that would exceed that limit.

thanks
    ray

2. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

Ray,
    The tires are small so they need more air to support the load. 75 psi sounds about right. You need that much pressure to support the max load of 910 lbs / tire. That will keep the side walls of the tire from flexing too much and will keep the tire from overheating. Soft side walls and flexing is what causes the tire to heat up and will cause failure. Keep the tires aired up to 70-75 psi to support the load of the gross trailer weight of 1700-1800 lbs.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Oklahoma! Yes 75psi is correct. Trailer tires frequently have higher psi than car tires. The sidewalls of trailer tires are stiffer. At 910lbs per tire, max load would be 1820lbs. Hope this helps. Steve

4. rayray311

rayray311 New Member

haha wow can u tell that i am a newbie? lol....thanks for the clarification. i just wanted to be sure b4 i took it out for a test run this weekend.

appreciated
    ray

5. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

6. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

rayray311

You say that the pup is a 1984, I would check and see how old those tires are. If they are older that 4 years old I would replace them right now. Even if they look great things will happen real quick, if they are any older..Just my [2C]

7. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I would agree with az, if the tires are more than 4 years old replacement is not a bad idea. Camper tires are prone to weathering even though they have plenty of tread on them.

When we bought our camper in 2007 the tires looked great until closer inspection and I found they had many cracks within the tread...A blowout waiting to happen.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

+ another on replacing old tires.