Proportional or time delay brake controller for pulling pup?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Jim DEvine, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Jim DEvine

Jim DEvine New Member

Which is better and why? TV is a 2013 Silverado and still shopping for pup, it will be under 3500lbs loaded.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Time delay controllers work but are not as nice as a proportional unit. The latter acts more like the brakes on your truck - the more force put on the brake pedal - the more braking force applied at the wheels.

Jim DEvine and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I got this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0Jc99bUFX7M5bSRMuk6Irq
    Why, to be honest i found a video on how to install it. Plus i liked that it dosent have to be totally level in the tv. And it had good reviews and was reasonably priced. It works well. You can set the breaking in levels for more or less depending on if your on the highways or backroads on hills. I have a 2012 gmc sierra. Pulled the pup same weight and now a TT with it. Get something thats rated well and works. The small nuanses dont translaye well for me, it stops or it dosent. Trailor breaks aren't all that powerfull and the diffrence in technology on these contollers will most often be a non factor.

Jim DEvine likes this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have used both kinds in the same truck pulling the same 6500 lb TT. The time delayed worked ok. The proportional is easier to fine tune for smoother braking.

Jim DEvine likes this.
  5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I have used both as well. The proportional are much better. To me the best part about the proportional is when you get stuck in traffic it barely applies the brakes as opposed to a time delay which will apply the brakes at the full force you have it set to! Just my opinion!

Jim DEvine likes this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You sure don't want a time delay brake controller when MUCH better proportional (inertia based) controllers are so readily available. Get a Tekonsha P2 or P3 and be done with it. ;)

xxxapache and Jim DEvine like this.
  7. Jim DEvine

Jim DEvine New Member

Thanks to all. Looks like proportional is the way to go.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

There's NO question about it. ;)

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I also have the Primus IQ. It uses the same tech as the more expensive P2 and P3, just with fewer bells and whistles.

Jim DEvine, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

P3 is the way to go !!!

Jim DEvine likes this.
  11. davido

davido Active Member

I have a Tekonsha Primus IQ proportional controller. I have towed with time-delay controllers, and it's awful. Proportional is the way to go. It doesn't cost much more, and provides better handling characteristics. For a braking system saving $40-50 by going with time-delay braking controllers is penny wise and pound foolish.

Now the difference between a $100 Primus IQ and a more expensive P2 or P3 is more in the feature set, less about the actual braking characteristics. All three are proportional.

Jim DEvine likes this.