Prototype Camp Stove / Oven

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Prototype Ghettotech Camp Stove / Oven:

We've got a Great-Grate, stabilizing a Stock Pot + a grill insert + a veggie fry pan + a lid. Parchment Paper increased success by 200% (DW Contributions)

Makes a semi-reliable, albeit slow oven:

upload_2021-6-14_11-24-53.png

Last edited:

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
If you can figure an easy way to clamp the lid on it may cook a little faster.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
how much hassle is it cleaning the soot off the pot and lid?
I haven't tried to clean them out to "homeclean" standards. But, they are "Campclean" which is about what I expected. Especially after I decided they were "oven materials" instead of cookware. They clean up OK, but the stock pot was a few bucks at the thrift store, or something I found free... I can't remember. There is far less soot if I keep it above the Great-Grate and not down in the flames.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
If you can figure an easy way to clamp the lid on it may cook a little faster.
It wasn't so much the time per set of cooking, it's that I'm only cooking 4 per batch. A batch of 4 @ 16/18mins each isn't a short order cook's turn around time if doing 16 total biscuits. If just knocking out 4 biscuits, cook time isn't an issue.
But, you've noticed my big issue, the free to me pot and the free to anyone lid just aren't the right sized dance partners. The lid will pressure set on the pot, using the legs as keepers - some clips or fasteners are in order.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
After a bit to think about it binder clips, from an office store might work. Depends on how much lip the stock pot has to grab onto. A bit more cost and effort something like this might work.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Hot the outside of the pot with bar soap or liquid soap. You can also get a colman oven. But i like the ingenuity.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
The liquid soap makes it easier to clean, i left that part out lol.
I did read that, and thought about how dirty this thing can really get in the long run. I have been washing it after each use, but not really well.... I'll have to keep thinking on clips or closure. A lid that was made to fit the pot is probably my next stage in "development" LOL

I have seen those coleman ovens, I think I might have passed on one at a thrift store even once... This guy's videos got me thinking I needed a biscuit oven in my camping life:

https://images.app.goo.gl/CxwsV3kz4kQjL1fr6 https://www.youtube.com/c/KentSurvival