PSA: popupportal is for pop up campers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
What is a "pop-up"? Specifically, what features define a pop-up?
Is it the ability to raise a roof from a travel position to a habitable position? Then 'hybrids' are not pop-up because nothing actually moves 'up'.
Is it the fabric folding sides? This would include the 'hybrids' but would exclude the Apache type of hard walled folding campers. This would also exclude the A frames unless they had fabric dormers.
It is apparent that each of us has a different shade of grey, or litmus test threshold, before some pop-up isn't a pop-up in our book.
It is unimportant where along an opinion bell curve your personal cross-over from 'is' to 'isn't' is located. If you say it's a pop-up, it is to you. If you say it isn't, then it's not... to you.

Who am I to judge if our Casita might want, at some time, to self-identify as a pop-up?
I have a camping Buddy that says you aren't really camping unless you brush your teeth outside

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
None of them really pop up. Maybe the inflatable ones but it's still not popping up like a spring-loaded tent.

According to the manufacturer's literature, my tent trailer is a folding trailer (but that's only talking about how it is stowed and doesn't say much about how it's deployed). No popping about it.

My slide-in camper, though, is enthusiastically called a "pop-up" by the manufacturer and was selected in part because there is no folding involved. Still, it doesn't really pop up.

geoffm3

Jun 21, 2010
I think the funny part is the op is just talking about there pop up. When I had mine , at 3200 lbs it wasnt able to be spun around to any spot on the campsite. Nor could it be garaged. It has everything appliance wise that a TT would have. In fact opened it took up more real estate then my current TT. ( by a foot but it was still bigger) Its great to be inclusive, but when that inclusiveness excludes half of what you think is is inclusive, it kinda defeats the point. Not everyone has your pop up. Others have stuff that is bigger. The op is speaking on there exclusive experiences, and that appears to be limited exposure. Others experiences will very. And yes, that was ment to be harsh. But its true. Not everthing is painted with a broad brush, and not everyone has the same experiences.
Again, I think y’all are getting all defensive for no real reason.

To be honest I am probably being a little unfair here and lumping my experiences here and a few Facebook groups and distilling down some of the negativity I’ve recently seen towards pop ups. It makes me wonder why those folks want to participate talking about pop ups if they have nothing constructive to say about pop ups. I have no animosity towards anyone for how they want to camp. That is fine. The flip side though is that I also appreciate some reciprocity and respect for how we wanna do our thing. My point is that on a forum that is dedicated to pop up camping negativity toward the very thing the forum is dedicated to is probably not welcome. I am not calling out everyone participating here than only owns a TT, motorhome, Diesel pusher or whatnot. Lots of folks have changed camper types from pop ups to something else and that’s ok. The experience is different and not always “better.” Different sometimes is just different.

Of course there are a variety of different pop up campers and some are lighter than others, and features vary. Your list of things you value are probably different than mine. Again, I have no quarrels… just respect the “lowly” pop up.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I think the nerve you hit is that. Mostly everyone on this site is more of a camping familly. So, we all did take it as hitting a nerve. I dont see what you speak of here. Most, if not all of us have owned pop ups. Everyone here is pretty helpful to anyone that camps. Be it in a tent, pop up or anything else. I think its the reason we are on here and not facebook etc. We share campgrounds, mods and stuff, even if we dont have the pop ups anymore. You have been a member here for a while, but I really dont know how much time you spend here. But look around, go to a rally. This place is kinda the real deal. We all camp together. This and the disney fourm for me are my go to camping sites. And that because on these sites are groups of people that dont care what you have or who your are. Only requirement is that you camp, and are good people. Sure , sometimes you get someone who is mad at there pop up, or and camper for that matter. So you get a post with people ranting. But that isnt the same as people looking down on pop ups. Yea, some people do. But as I said, I dont see it here. Stick around more here, you will see what I talk of. The posts here are more about sharing ideas, stories , and campsites. Lots of threads about fixing stuff. Almost non about how we hate pop ups, lol.
Have fun.

nitrohorse

May 27, 2015
NE Pennsylvania
Again, I think y’all are getting all defensive for no real reason.

To be honest I am probably being a little unfair here and lumping my experiences here and a few Facebook groups and distilling down some of the negativity I’ve recently seen towards pop ups. It makes me wonder why those folks want to participate talking about pop ups if they have nothing constructive to say about pop ups. I have no animosity towards anyone for how they want to camp. That is fine. The flip side though is that I also appreciate some reciprocity and respect for how we wanna do our thing. My point is that on a forum that is dedicated to pop up camping negativity toward the very thing the forum is dedicated to is probably not welcome. I am not calling out everyone participating here than only owns a TT, motorhome, Diesel pusher or whatnot. Lots of folks have changed camper types from pop ups to something else and that’s ok. The experience is different and not always “better.” Different sometimes is just different.

Of course there are a variety of different pop up campers and some are lighter than others, and features vary. Your list of things you value are probably different than mine. Again, I have no quarrels… just respect the “lowly” pop up.
We're getting defensive? How about maybe you overreacted? You just don't seem to get it and you regurgitate basically the same comments as your original post.
Where is the "nothing constructive to say about pop ups?" Where is the negativity? Again, you embellish the truth to reinforce a non existent belief you have.

"My point is that on a forum that is dedicated to pop up camping negativity toward the very thing the forum is dedicated to is probably not welcome." Who decides what is negative...you? And who decides if they're not welcome...you?

I've owned THREE PUPS. If I was negative against them, I highly doubt I would have owned more than the first one. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with honesty and levity. A person who is contemplating possibly buying a PUP should have access to both the pros and cons of this type of unit.
In closing, maybe this forum isn't right for you. It appears that you want to not only decide what is negative, but you also want to question why those who make comments you don't like are here. You seem to have a one sided opinion of what should be said on this forum.
I'm done discussing this topic.
Take care and enjoy your PUP.

Last edited:

nitrohorse

May 27, 2015
NE Pennsylvania
For complete transparency, @TrailManorMan , when we were deciding on what kind of trailer we were going to buy, it came down to a choice between an Aliner, a Chalet, and a TrailManor. With the plague fully enraged in the area all that was available around here was an Aliner so that's what we got.
TrailManors intrigue me.
Back when we had our fifth wheel on a seasonal site, I knew a gentleman who lived in Florida and would "summer" up in the same campground as us. He had a Hi-Lo which I found interesting. It had the lower profile when being towed yet offered hardsides when popped up. He like the unit and never complained about any issues to me. I don't think Hi-Lo is still in business.

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
geoff,
They might hate pop-ups, and list their perceived grievances, but how does their haters-gotta-hate attitude change what you like or don't like?
Then again, maybe it's the haters that are questioning their decisions to NOT pop, and are looking for confirmation from other haters that their own doubt about their own purchase decision wasn't wrong, at least among other haters.
If you are starting to second guess your decision to purchase whatever it was you did buy based on OTHERS' opinion, then you maybe didn't buy what was right for you.

Me? I'm just indecisive. I chose to NOT choose, so I have one of each (see current* signature). "Horses for courses".

* on order for 2023 delivery
alto.JPG

dbbyleo

Jun 27, 2013
It's all good. I think it's good to hear from those in other types of campers, especially those who went over to the dark side (wink wink). Their experience is valuable, especially for others considering the same move, or for newcomers considering a pop-up. Heck, I joined this forum EVEN BEFORE I OWNED A POP-UP looking for advise. So it's all good with me. TT, Hybrid Owners, etc ... all welcome as far as I'm concerned. Bring it!

Pup_n_go

May 6, 2009
This is a mini-PSA... I've seen a lot of posts in here (and a few elsewhere) talking about how pop up campers suck, I hate them, they are such a hassle, I upgraded to a hard sided camper because I hated pop up camping, etc.

Honest question: if you don't like pop up campers, why are you here? News flash: people pick pop-up campers for a variety of reasons, budget is not the only one. Lots of folks are here because they chose a popup over other RV options. There's plenty of reasons to pick them over other RV types, money is but one facet.

I don't begrudge anyone showing how they moved from pop up to something else. No problem with that. But, please don't look at your choice as an aspirational goal for everyone. Some folks don't care or want to "upgrade." They have made a conscious choice to own and use a pop up camper. It's a bit like going into a vegan forum and saying that you are a meat eater now and how it's so much better. :)

Here's just a short list of reasons that you might pick a pop up camper that have absolutely nothing to do with money (at least not directly):

1. A pop up camper can be kept garaged at your house. Important if you have restrictive covenants in your neighborhood and want to be able to keep the camper on your property.
2. A pop up camper is much easier for a person of modest mechanical skills to maintain.
3. A pop up camper requires a much smaller tow vehicle than a hard sided camper.
4. A pop up camper has a much smaller carbon footprint than a hard sided camper.
5. A pop up camper can fit in more places in more campgrounds than a hard sided camper. If a camper won't fit lengthwise, a smaller camper can be maneuvered more perpendicular in a site to fit and still not break the rules of fitting on the pad.
6. You are closer to nature in a pop up camper than a hard sided camper
7. The best travel trailer windows cannot compete with a pop up camper with the windows unzipped.
8. Much lower tow profile means that a pop up camper is much much easier to tow, definitely in a head wind, especially in a cross wind.
9. If it matters to you, your bed is up off the ground, meaning that you can sit into the bed.
10. Pop ups are fun to DIY

These are just some of the reasons off the top of my head. There are surely more and I'll edit them as I think of them or people respond. I encourage you to add your own list of reasons why you would choose a pop up that have nothing to do with money. Perhaps someone considering a pop up camper over "superior" options might find it useful.
I’m one of those who have moved on ( not necessarily up) to a hard sides. But I have nothing but fond memories of my pop-up (Coleman Sante Fe). It was my introduction into RV camping having graduated from tent life and I loved it ! Got to sleep up off the ground, I could cook inside if J chose to, I had an awning to shade from heat or inclement weather, didn’t have to rely as much on ice coolers and my then, 2014 Jeep Liberty could tow it. With ended up gifting ours to our friends who struggled with trying to fit 3 kids and all their camping gear into a 4 Runner every time we went camping. They used it for 3-4 years before they went hard sided too. People who choose to stay with the pop up do it because they love it. I’ve often thought about getting another just so I have something easier to deal with on those short weekend or 3 day’rs. Not something I really enjoy doing with our travel trailer. Been awhile ( years) since I’ve visited this site but saw the PSA and wanted to throw my two cents as well as support in.

kebideplin57

Oct 25, 2016
This is a mini-PSA... I've seen a lot of posts in here (and a few elsewhere) talking about how pop up campers suck, I hate them, they are such a hassle, I upgraded to a hard sided camper because I hated pop up camping, etc.

Honest question: if you don't like pop up campers, why are you here? News flash: people pick pop-up campers for a variety of reasons, budget is not the only one. Lots of folks are here because they chose a popup over other RV options. There's plenty of reasons to pick them over other RV types, money is but one facet.

I don't begrudge anyone showing how they moved from pop up to something else. No problem with that. But, please don't look at your choice as an aspirational goal for everyone. Some folks don't care or want to "upgrade." They have made a conscious choice to own and use a pop up camper. It's a bit like going into a vegan forum and saying that you are a meat eater now and how it's so much better. :)

Here's just a short list of reasons that you might pick a pop up camper that have absolutely nothing to do with money (at least not directly):

1. A pop up camper can be kept garaged at your house. Important if you have restrictive covenants in your neighborhood and want to be able to keep the camper on your property.
2. A pop up camper is much easier for a person of modest mechanical skills to maintain.
3. A pop up camper requires a much smaller tow vehicle than a hard sided camper.
4. A pop up camper has a much smaller carbon footprint than a hard sided camper.
5. A pop up camper can fit in more places in more campgrounds than a hard sided camper. If a camper won't fit lengthwise, a smaller camper can be maneuvered more perpendicular in a site to fit and still not break the rules of fitting on the pad.
6. You are closer to nature in a pop up camper than a hard sided camper
7. The best travel trailer windows cannot compete with a pop up camper with the windows unzipped.
8. Much lower tow profile means that a pop up camper is much much easier to tow, definitely in a head wind, especially in a cross wind.
9. If it matters to you, your bed is up off the ground, meaning that you can sit into the bed.
10. Pop ups are fun to DIY

These are just some of the reasons off the top of my head. There are surely more and I'll edit them as I think of them or people respond. I encourage you to add your own list of reasons why you would choose a pop up that have nothing to do with money. Perhaps someone considering a pop up camper over "superior" options might find it useful.
We started camping in a pop up back in the 80's. I loved my pop ups. We found it much easier to deal with. Yes set up takes more time, but with todays pop ups it is not as involved as the older models. When we started looking to get back into camping, we looked for a pop up, but was not able to find one that we could afford, or that did not need to be totally redone. We found a "HI LO" a kind of a pop up with hard walls. We still enjoy the ease of towing, however I find we have less room in it than we did the pop up. Not a big issue since it is only the two of us. We like to keep thing simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.