PSA: popupportal is for pop up campers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoomi

I write everything the voices in my head tell me.
Jul 20, 2012
We enjoyed our P'up for many years before going to the Dark Side. Our decision to switch wasn't based on any "boy, pop-ups sure do suck" mentality. Our old '99 Coleman Nevada (which we still have) was showing its age. It needed a lot more work than I really had the energy or enthusiasm to give it. We started looking early last year at hard-side trailers, originally hoping to find a nice, reasonably priced used one, but at that time, anything in decent shape for a reasonable price sold almost as soon as it was listed. We went and looked at a new Wolfpup, and bought that.

It was a trade-off in some ways. The Wolfpup is nicer inside (both from the included amenities and from being newer) than the Nevada. We can camp more places with the Wolfpup, both from its age and that it's not a popup (we ran across a few places over the years that did not allow older and/or popup trailers to stay at their parks), and it also extends our camping season with both air conditioning and a working heater. Set-up and tear-down is considerably easier in the Wolfpup, particularly since the Nevada had the manual crank for raising and lowering the roof, instead of a nice electric motor. The Nevada was easier and more economical to tow and store. Parking the two trailers is something of a toss-up. While the low profile of the Nevada while moving made it easier to see and position, the Wolfpup has the installed rear-view camera.

We certainly enjoy our newer trailer (it's about 1.5 years old now), but I still notice and admire the popups we see on our trips. While my visits here on the Portal aren't as frequent, I'm still a member because this is an amazing group of people, and we've enjoyed the times we've gone to Rallies with other Portal members. It'd be nice if we could get participation levels back up for Rallies here in Arizona, but the last few we've tried to organize pretty much generated almost no interest at all.

Daniel Palmer

Sep 16, 2020
This is a mini-PSA... I've seen a lot of posts in here (and a few elsewhere) talking about how pop up campers suck, I hate them, they are such a hassle, I upgraded to a hard sided camper because I hated pop up camping, etc.

Honest question: if you don't like pop up campers, why are you here? News flash: people pick pop-up campers for a variety of reasons, budget is not the only one. Lots of folks are here because they chose a popup over other RV options. There's plenty of reasons to pick them over other RV types, money is but one facet.

I don't begrudge anyone showing how they moved from pop up to something else. No problem with that. But, please don't look at your choice as an aspirational goal for everyone. Some folks don't care or want to "upgrade." They have made a conscious choice to own and use a pop up camper. It's a bit like going into a vegan forum and saying that you are a meat eater now and how it's so much better. :)

Here's just a short list of reasons that you might pick a pop up camper that have absolutely nothing to do with money (at least not directly):

1. A pop up camper can be kept garaged at your house. Important if you have restrictive covenants in your neighborhood and want to be able to keep the camper on your property.
2. A pop up camper is much easier for a person of modest mechanical skills to maintain.
3. A pop up camper requires a much smaller tow vehicle than a hard sided camper.
4. A pop up camper has a much smaller carbon footprint than a hard sided camper.
5. A pop up camper can fit in more places in more campgrounds than a hard sided camper. If a camper won't fit lengthwise, a smaller camper can be maneuvered more perpendicular in a site to fit and still not break the rules of fitting on the pad.
6. You are closer to nature in a pop up camper than a hard sided camper
7. The best travel trailer windows cannot compete with a pop up camper with the windows unzipped.
8. Much lower tow profile means that a pop up camper is much much easier to tow, definitely in a head wind, especially in a cross wind.
9. If it matters to you, your bed is up off the ground, meaning that you can sit into the bed.
10. Pop ups are fun to DIY

These are just some of the reasons off the top of my head. There are surely more and I'll edit them as I think of them or people respond. I encourage you to add your own list of reasons why you would choose a pop up that have nothing to do with money. Perhaps someone considering a pop up camper over "superior" options might find it useful.
Because while they hate popups, they love complaining

MattyO

Jun 27, 2022
This is a mini-PSA... I've seen a lot of posts in here (and a few elsewhere) talking about how pop up campers suck, I hate them, they are such a hassle, I upgraded to a hard sided camper because I hated pop up camping, etc.

Honest question: if you don't like pop up campers, why are you here? News flash: people pick pop-up campers for a variety of reasons, budget is not the only one. Lots of folks are here because they chose a popup over other RV options. There's plenty of reasons to pick them over other RV types, money is but one facet.

I don't begrudge anyone showing how they moved from pop up to something else. No problem with that. But, please don't look at your choice as an aspirational goal for everyone. Some folks don't care or want to "upgrade." They have made a conscious choice to own and use a pop up camper. It's a bit like going into a vegan forum and saying that you are a meat eater now and how it's so much better. :)

Here's just a short list of reasons that you might pick a pop up camper that have absolutely nothing to do with money (at least not directly):

1. A pop up camper can be kept garaged at your house. Important if you have restrictive covenants in your neighborhood and want to be able to keep the camper on your property.
2. A pop up camper is much easier for a person of modest mechanical skills to maintain.
3. A pop up camper requires a much smaller tow vehicle than a hard sided camper.
4. A pop up camper has a much smaller carbon footprint than a hard sided camper.
5. A pop up camper can fit in more places in more campgrounds than a hard sided camper. If a camper won't fit lengthwise, a smaller camper can be maneuvered more perpendicular in a site to fit and still not break the rules of fitting on the pad.
7. The best travel trailer windows cannot compete with a pop up camper with the windows unzipped.
8. Much lower tow profile means that a pop up camper is much much easier to tow, definitely in a head wind, especially in a cross wind.
9. If it matters to you, your bed is up off the ground, meaning that you can sit into the bed.

These are just some of the reasons off the top of my head. There are surely more and I'll edit them as I think of them or people respond. I encourage you to add your own list of reasons why you would choose a pop up that have nothing to do with money. Perhaps someone considering a pop up camper over "superior" options might find it useful.
I bought a 2014 Rockwood Premier because I tow with my Tesla Model Y. The car is very powerful and can easily tow 3500lbs. Low center of gravity in this vehicle makes it a great tow vehicle, however range tales a big hit with WIND RESISTANCE. Hence a pop-up is perfect. I get great towing range with it, fits in my spare garage and is WAY better than camping in a tent IMO, which would otherwise be our only other option.

wcvworg

Jul 1, 2021
Vermont
I was just eyeing a used Trailmanor a couple weeks ago and I wonder where it falls in your heirarchy. Like, is there a minimum number of bullets required to fit into your critique?

At the end of the day it seems to me like the person paying the bills and holding the admin reigns has created forums specific to TTs, and is really the only one with the (literal) buy-in and authority to declare what is and isn't off limits.

ErinG

Jul 3, 2021

Number 7 is my favorite of all!!!!

Smackle

Apr 4, 2021

If I ever need to make a list of reasons for owning a popup, I will cut and paste yours! We like being up, off of the ground and not worrying about rain. And, I love the fact that I can pull it with my Subaru Outback!

Pdxglocker9mm

May 24, 2014
I had a pop up for 10 years, i sold it and got a travel trailer which I have had for 3 years.
I have relevant information for discussions here since I did many repairs in 10 years.
The travel trailer isnt that different really, it has the same axle and many similar appliances. Do I prefer my TT?
Yup sure do. Do I push people to abandon popups and move on to travel trailers? No. If some one were to lay out specific criteria for buying a new rig I recommend the unit that fits their needs.

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
This is one of the nicest and most respectful online communities out there, and many folks here do not own PUPs.
100 percent agree. We sold our pup and have a hybrid but I'd never say it was "better" or "superior" to a pup...well the fridge is superior in that it actually works 😆

If you buy a NEW camper, regardless of the type, from the smallest pup to the triple axle 5th wheels, and even the $500k motor homes...They're all garbage as far as quality goes.

I stay here, even though I'm not a pup owner, because I like the community. I like to help others and get help when needed. It's supposed to be fun, like camping is.

Also, just a side thought...I'd say pup owners are just as likely to look down on people in the big rigs and class A's as those people are to look down on people in pop ups. But again, who care what others think about your camper. There's no "better" camper, only better for you. And I love seeing the smallest pop up right between 2 big class A's (usually at the beach in Delaware). They all paid their money and have just as much right to be there as each other.

Cabaglady

Jun 6, 2021

My husband is 6’4” tall; our Aliner pop-up is the only camper we viewed that felt open and had inside height he wants.

Cabaglady

Jun 6, 2021
geoff,
They might hate pop-ups, and list their perceived grievances, but how does their haters-gotta-hate attitude change what you like or don't like?
Then again, maybe it's the haters that are questioning their decisions to NOT pop, and are looking for confirmation from other haters that their own doubt about their own purchase decision wasn't wrong, at least among other haters.
If you are starting to second guess your decision to purchase whatever it was you did buy based on OTHERS' opinion, then you maybe didn't buy what was right for you.

Me? I'm just indecisive. I chose to NOT choose, so I have one of each (see current* signature). "Horses for courses".

* on order for 2023 delivery
View attachment 87935
Congrats on your Alto!

Fordiesel250

Mar 28, 2010
I do not have a problem with popups. After tents we went this route until we decided to move up. I could and would go back to a popup in a heartbeat but i would have A/C and furnace

goog grief... do u really expect us to read ALL of this..geez..be comfotable in your silence i always say

Sherronlee

Apr 10, 2020
Northern BC

Well put! #6 & #7 are my reasons. Never want to camp in a tin can!

Status
Not open for further replies.