PSA Safe Grocery Shopping in COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by davekro, Mar 25, 2020.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

Youtube video:
    PSA Safe Grocery Shopping in COVID-19 Pandemic

I saw this on another forum I follow. Everybody can decide for themselves if the recommendations are more than they feel are needed or not. For me, it brought a higher level of awareness of the possible ways of transmission. I see it as informing me of the continuum of risk levels of where Corona virus might be active.

So maybe being coughed on by a person might feel like very high risk, a grocery store door handle or shopping cart handle a bit less, but still high. Individual grocery items may be lower on the risk profile, but should be not considered risk free. Every day, we all assess what risk factors we feel are priorities to us personally. If I were 80 years old in poor health with one or more known other risk factors, I would likely follow this recommendation strictly.

Let this just be information to add to the mix of choices we make and how we interact with products in our lives.

Health and wellness to us all in these challenging and stressful times. We can choose to be there and helpful for our fellow family, friends and communities. Even if this only means calling, Face timing or Zoom'ing (Zoom.us) to reach out and connect with people we know who could use some connection in this time of isolation. Our seniors might normally feel somewhat isolated are likely feeling more so than the rest of us.

Thomaso Cieslako and kcsa75 like this.
  2. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Just food for thought, think of all the surfaces that you touch that are touched by other people...before you touch anything on your face, wash your hands throughly. I am working during this Pandemic due to the essential services I need to provide to operate commercial buildings. We have the proper personal protective equipment to protect ourselves. Think of your cell phone, how many surfaces have you touched and transferred germs to your cell phones and using it while you are eating food? Our neighbourhood has a social media page and we are helping those who post for help. We are social distancing and assisting those that can’t get out to shop for themselves

CamperChrissy and davekro like this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

If you wear gloves while you shop, for the love of God, don't throw them on the parking lot!!

fourhallatts likes this.
  4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Ask them

The local 24 hour a day grocery stores are now only open 12 hours. The night crew now wipes the store down at night. Twice a week they open the store one hour early and let old goats come in early. It seems the younger crowd are the invincibles. The old goats come dressed up in gloves and mask. Ask them if they have a senior hour.

Take your own cart. AKA a 5 gallon Home depot bucket.

Our Amazon order has been on the front porch for a week.

5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Another thought I haven't heard before but did about 2 weeks ago on a supply run. They think this is transmitted by sneezing/coughing. You should keep about 6' away from everybody. Well what happens to the sneeze mist? It falls to the floor. You walk on it and take it home. Then touch you shoes to take them off. Then touch your face 200 times a day.

My shopping shoes stay out in the camper and dont go into the house.

davekro likes this.
  6. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

When I went Sunday, I wore gloves. A handful of people had gloves or masks, nobody had both. I also had disinfectant wipes in the car and wiped everything down when I got it out.

BTW, sneezing isn't a COVID-19 symptom. I suppose if you're unlucky to have it and a cold at the same time, though…

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I figure all the store goods have been handled, sneezed on, coughed on, ect. by dozens of people from the manufacturer to the store. We stocked up a months worth of extra at the onset to try and stay out of the stores as it worsened. We made one more big grocery trip earlier this week. I left everything in the bags and put them in quarantine in the basement for several days. I still haven't touched them.