PSI for TV

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by niagarafam, May 31, 2016.

1. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

What psi do you use for your TV when you tow? Do you use the factory specs in the door jam or do you base it on the tire's max stated on the sidewall?

2. Jblac15

Jblac15 Muddiest person on this Forum.

How much tongue weight does your PUP have? If it's not very much, I wouldn't see the need to inflate above the normal recommended PSI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

I usually have 400-425lbs on the tongue.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

For long trips I like to inflate my rear tires to about halfway between the door post pressure and the max on the tire.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have mine aired up all the time .. 10 to 20 psi higher then what the stock tire pressure recommendation is ..

BTW .. That door sticker really only applies to the stock make/model of tire...

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I run what rides good and wears well. Running max sidewall pressure will give you a bad ride and wear the center tread out if your vehicle is on the lighter side. My Toyota compact pickup doesn't need the same amount of air as the same tire on a one ton truck.

7. 300Z

300Z Member

Bingo!

8. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

The sticker applies to the tire size.

9. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Thanks, guys!

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

my tv calls for 36 psi, wonderful ride. I air it to 40 an get 20% better mpg. Ride is a little rougher. I tow at the 40 psi also. My old tv I did the same thing, for the mojority of the 210k miles. The current tires have 75K miles on them and there is almost no difference in tire ware between center and side. At 75k miles the Michline tires have 4/32 of the original 9/32 tread in the center, sides might be 5/32

11. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

x2 for my Trailblazer. Go to sidewall max on the rears only when towing but tongue wt. is only 140#.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes, of the stock tire.. Once you change tires that sticker really doesn't mean much...

13. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

14. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Whether you have stock tires or not, you should use what the door jamb says. Unless you are jacking up your truck with monster tires or something out of the norm.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I'll take my chances and put trust in the engineers at the tire company, over the car company ... Think Exploder Gate... Car manufacture stated a low psi for the tires, even though tire manufacture stated a much higher psi ...

16. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I run 40-45 psi in my tires. Most are rated for 44 psi anymore, the numbers in the door jam will give thr best ride, but tire last longer and wear better a little higher. I worked on police cars for a number of years and they wanted at least 40 psi in them.

17. generok

generok Well-Known Member

80psi in the rear, 50psi in the front. That's what's on the post, that's what I run.

Messing with the PSI changes the contact patch size and shape, changes the suspension response, changes the sense-able ride and hosts of other factors. Therefor, in my humble opinion, I don't try to second guess anything I don't know the basis for or the parameters of.

I'm not a fear monger, but the engineers who built the car knew the suspension response they wanted for that specific car. The tire manufacturers have NO IDEA what vehicle that tire is going on. The max sidewall is the pressure you can inflate it to and still have a liability claim. Beyond that, there be dragons.

And, I'm out...

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It was not to long ago that ford was hit up by to many customers for rough ride and an informal service notice was put out to low the pressures for customers complaining. Fords started to flip over and losing control in curves. After a few deaths and a year plus investigation. Many tire laws where changed and auto manufacture agreed to phase in TPMS.

The manufacture will list a safe pressure on the door jam, but would prefer to error on ride comfort then tire ware and MPG.

I run 4 psi over inflated. My tires have 75,000 mile on them. I expect to have over 100,000 miles on the tires before I change them with safe tread left on the tire. I also realized a 20% increase in MPG. Think about saving 20% on the cost of gas for 100,000 miles, it more then pays for a set tires.

19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I am with you. I run mine on the high side for the better MPG. In my F350 you cant tell the difference in a few psi. The only thing that will make the ride smoother is weight on the springs. I am tempted at times to leave the 4 wheeler in the back.

20. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

This article talks about passenger cars, but you'll get the idea.

https://www.kaltire.com/the-right-tire-pressure-why-the-maximum-isnt-the-best/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII.