Public Memorial???

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by BiXLL, Jul 23, 2009.

1. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

Subject: Memorial Service: you're invited.

We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.

I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . .” at which point my heart skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland, into Arnhem." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France, and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.

He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center.

No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know... Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

"A nation without heroes is nothing."
    (Roberto Clemente)

2. MamaK

MamaK Member

If anyone deserves a memorial it is the men and women who served and continue to serve our country. Whether we agree with the politics that place them in harm's way or the justification of the conflicts, they are heroes who deserve to be honored. Hats off to the real heroes of this world.

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

My late father was also a WWII veteran.

4. gypsy32

gypsy32 God bless the U S A

U.S Navy thanks every WWII hero and all the hero's that serve and had served, Rest in peace Shifty.

Rembier if you can read this thank a teacher : cause it is in english thank a solider

POW/MIA Always remimbered never forgotten

5. maromeo

maromeo Member

My father is also a WWII army veteran. He also fought in Normandy. He and whoever is left just celebrated their last reunion in Louisville, KY. My 3 brothers drove him and my mother from MN to the reunion. They had a wonderful time. Many men are gone now or have so many medical issues travel is out of the question. My father has alzheimers beginning of Stage 2. He remembers his buddies but recent past is forgotten. It is hard to see him go this way but my brothers wanted him to attend. They all had a great time. I was so happy to hear that.

If it wasn't for my father, my son's interest in the army would never had existed. He and my son would spend hours talking about the war and my father would share his medals and patches that he had earned. Today my son is in the army and deployed to Iraq. He loves it and feels really good to be serving our country. So I am very greatful to my father for sharing his experiences and for my son to be serving. They are all in my prayers daily and I am thankful to have them in my life.

I also like to see the quote from Roberto Clemente. I used to listen to him play baseball on the radio with my grandfather on his porch in Pittsburgh. (Games were not televised locally). I loved to follow him throughout his career. Great choice.

Mary

6. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

I was out of town on a business trip when Saving Private Ryan came out. I had a day between sessions and decided to take in a movie. I was standing in line to buy a ticket behind an elderly couple. We had been in line a few minutes when another elderly gentleman stepped up and tapped the guy in front of me on the shoulder. I assumed he was greeting a friend, but when the gentleman in front of me turned, the guy who tapped him simply asked;" Were you there?". The guy in front of me said;"Yes" and nodded. The guy who had tapped in on the shoulder softly said;"Me too" and returned to his place further down the line. I was in position to see their faces, their gestures and equally important, how the lady squeezed her husband's hand as he acknowledged the question. I was choked up before I ever got in the theater.

You are totally correct. Shifty and those men are real heros. They served their country through a horrific war and came back home to live every day life. In my book, they are far more heros than self indulgent entertainers with destructive personal lives, no matter how much talent they have.

7. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I don't forward much email, but when I got this one the other day I stripped off all the FWD: addresses and sent it on down the line.

8. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

Moved to remberance of loved ones and friends???? I did not know this guy, I was making a statement that was off topic to pups!!! LOL

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I moved it here so that it does not get delete after a month as that is what happens to topics on "The Other Stuff" board. We may not know this person but he represents all the men & women who have fought for their country. And I think it is fitting to remember them all with what you posted.

10. ninches

ninches New Member

When the movie Flags of our Fathers came out, my dad (who is a Vietnam Veteran) and I took my grandfather ( who is a WWII veteran who was at Iwo Jima) to see it. He was sitting in the front row in his wheelchair. When the movie was over, we were waiting for everyone to leave so we could wheel him out. I was asking him about the movie and if it were accurate to the way things really were, when a young man came up to him and asked him if he were there. My grandfather told him yes he was, and with tears in his eyes, the man extended his hand to my grandfather and simply said " Thank You". That was a very moving experience for me, one that I think I will never forget..
    Thank you to everyone who has or is serving...

11. jack83153

jack83153 Member

Gods Speed Shifty. Rest in Peace. You are in a far better place and with all of your fallen comrades. I would like to thank all veterans of all wars for your service to this country. You all deserve more than this country will ever be able to give. Again "Thank You, from me and my family.

12. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly Terra Alta, West Virginia

"Shifty" may you rest in peace....truely a real American Hero!

My father was a WWII veteran who passed away in 1998. He was very active with the American Legion and helping with memorial services for fallen veterans.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!