Public sinks

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Dave Moz, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Hitman...

Musictom likes this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I've seen that quite a bit in MN. We actually used to DO that since we saw it so much and didn't know any better (when we were first camping many years ago)

Just saw it again last time we were out. At least most state parks here put a wood 'grate' under the water spigots.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I am not carrying my dishes away from the campsite to wash them. The dog does a fine job of pre-cleaning. After that, a spritz of Simple Green and wipe with a paper towel has them good to go...lol

neighbormike likes this.
  4. tfischer

Honestly it's not obvious. Most CG's here have signs that say no dishes in the bathroom, and I've never seen it done in CGs that have these signs.

5. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I don't know the rules on washing dishes in a campground bathroom sink in my parts.
    Never seen it done or done it.
    It would be pretty hard since with ours you have to hold down the plunger for the water to stay on
    or when you push the plunger the water stays on for a few seconds and automatically shuts off.
    that would make it a long drawn out hassle.
    Paper plates and plastic utensils cut down our need to wash dishes.
    Other than the can cooker and stove griddle and a couple steak knives and tongs we have little to wash and it can be done
    in our wash tub.
    The dirty water goes right into firepit full of hot coals and burns off in minutes.

1380ken likes this.
  6. tfischer

I'm not a grape nuts chewing environmentalist but I do try to cut down on paper waste, and that includes eating off of 'real' plates when camping when possible. Frankly I like it tons better too, vs paper plates which absorb food, fall apart, etc (or you can buy the expensive premium ones that are even worse for the budget and the environment).

That said when on a long trip where we're primarily sightseeing instead of hanging at the campsite, we will often use paper to save time.

Dave Moz likes this.
  7. firepit

I burn my old tires out camping....Cuts down on the skeeters!

TrentM79 likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I only did it once....We all looked like coal miners the next morning.

firepit likes this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

When I was a teenager we cooked some hotdogs on burning tires behind a 7-11 and then had to run from the police.

10. firepit

I was kidding BTW...lol

11. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Old oil filters surprisingly burn well and cleanly if hot enough. In a military stove or the like works well.
    Around here the disposal of them is just to toss them in the trash! No crushing or anything.

12. Glidewellr

Glidewellr New Member

YES! So tired of having to clean the garbage (charred beer cans, used diapers, etc) out of the fire pit before we can use it. Just gross.

13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Adult or baby?

14. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I've seen "wash sinks" at a couple of CGs we've stayed at but, since we wash dishes at our site, their avalability is not part of my "consciousness". We use Castile Soap

@Dave Moz ... we camped at Poe Valley last year and the Rest Room had a wash sink, outside, attached to the back of the building. Didn't use it... I found it while I was wanderring around, waiting for my Ladies to finish up [gee... now that I've said that, it kinda sounds a bit creepy LOL ]

One of our "go to" SPs in New York [Keuka Lake] has a whole. SEPERATE ROOM with a big 'ole wash sink in it. Don't know if it's there for the clean-up crew but, every time we've camped there, the door has been open.

We never did our dishes in it but, one time, I DID was up some grungy hiking shorts, socks and T-Shirts in it.

Last CG we stayed at [Meacham Lake, NY] had signs on every water filling spigot... "DO NOT WASH UNDER SPIGOT"... do I trust that folks followed the rule

Rest Rooms, and their sinks, are always a "Crap Shoot" for us... we've camped in spots with NO facilities except our own so, I don't expect much. With low expectations, anything provided is a plus.... we carry a "Travel Berkey" [DW says "don't leave home without it"]and a small amount of bleach in case I get totally creeped out and I feel the need to overly sanitize

DW has her own "Bless Their Heart" saying... she repeats it often.... "I Love People, I Love People, I Love People!"

Happy Trails!

Dave Moz likes this.
  15. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Of all my concerns about campgrounds, this comes in at number 237.

NHHAPPYCAMPER likes this.
  16. David205

David205 New Member

I doubt the people doing all this read any forums.

Econ and NMroamer like this.
  17. ErinG

ErinG Member

This weekend was my first public washing sink sighting. I had no idea it was a thing. I've always washed at my site (granted we've only gone twice) and when I went to bathhouse I was barely comfortable brushing my teeth in there. I can't imagine what the communal sink looked like. I was surprised how gross it was when people are always talking about how this is such an amazing place to camp. I'm a newbie but I also have common sense and I wouldn't leave food in my own sink like that much less a communal sink.

18. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Agreed that there are new campers who are unaware. Every dish sink I've seen had a sign saying this is a dish sink. This is a lack of common sense/ upbringing problem.
    If my parents had taken me camping I would have heard about it for trying to leave a mess. It's common courtesy and respect for your fellow campers people. The problem is a lack of upbringing now a days.

We use cheap, thin, paper plates on top of hard plates. Throw away the paper plate and if light soil on the hard plate use a spray bottle with very diluted soap in it and a paper towel. We only use a frying pan to heat food. Save your elaborate cooking for home. You're camping.

19. Randy Griffith

Randy Griffith New Member

The environmental reasoning behind the dishwashing sinks is to prevent campers from doing dishes in their sites and then dumping the soapy water on the ground. It pollutes the groundwater. We do our dishes in the Pa. State Park dishwashing sink, but use our own dishpan and drainer so it doesn't come in contact with the communal surfaces, which, I agree are not always immaculate. If you'd rather heat your own water and do the dishes in the campsite, either bring the soapy water to the dishwashing sink or -- if your pup has a greywater tank -- take it to the dump station.

20. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Doemnt septic systems have leching fields? Which by most means would imply they are far more contaminating than some dawn dish soap.
    That said, it's nice not to put your tent down on someones else's pot scrapings. Also keeps the animals away