Pugs--nice to have or necessary?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Muller 5, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Getting ready for a summer in muggy Missouri and I want to be as ready as possible. Do you consider pugs a necessity or a luxury? I really don't have money right now for luxuries, because I need to outfit and fix up the ntu pup.

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Will you be camping with electric and using the air conditioner? Will you be under shade or in the sun?

I have them on mine and I consider them essential but I camp in sunny Texas and often with little shade. I always camp with hookups and the pugs make a difference in my ability to keep the interior cool in the summer.

bookooc likes this.
  3. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I honestly don't know, I've always tent camped. Never had ac or set up under a tree.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I use them but didn't the first year we had the pup. They make a big difference in keeping out heat. Others have posted that there are other viable and cheaper alternatives. I'm sure others will soon post what they are.

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We never bought any PUGs for the Pup as we had AC and almost always were able to get a shady spot. But without exception, everybody that I spoke with that had them said they were well worth the money. [:)C]

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Pugs do better reflecting the sun away from the bunk end and help keep some of the coolness inside from seeping out. However I wouldn't classify it as essential just nice to have. Then again, like you, coming from a tent anything in the popup is a luxury. You can buy a cheap tarp to help until you can save up for the pugs. Thats what I did. The tarp works just not as well. If you have AC just keep your curtains drawn on the sunny side to keep the sun from warming the camper too much. If you have AC on your camper and plan to use it, you will find with the sun beating down on the camper and your canvas letting all the cool air out your AC is going to have to work harder to keep things cool. Canvas offers no insulation so you have to create berriers to help keep it in longer and
    Keep the sun out. In the summer I always try to find a shady site and camp with electricty where I can use my AC and things be fairly comfortable. Much like a tent if you park yourself out in an open where the sun burns right down into your tent it can get real hot inside if you fail to open the tent up to release that heat. My first popup did not have AC so I just opened all my windows up to try and get a cross ventilation going. However in the humidy it just always feels hot no matter what you do.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I run pugs and reflectix in the windows on the bunks, galley and dinette. I keep the awning out whenever possible as it shades that side of the camper. I hope to add awning tracks to the other side this year and DIY an awning to give me shade on that side as well. Shade helps alot, but insulating the bunks as much as you can also makes a huge difference, but only if you are running the A/C. If not then keeping the windows open for cross ventilation helps more while trying to keep the camper shaded as much as possible.

Last summer had an electrical snafu that killed my power for a day. I had a little portable 6-8k btu unit running and it barely made a dent. Temps inside were about 95 I think but I was in a well shaded site. Once I got the roof A/C running again things for back to normal.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we went to Branson, MO in 2014 we had a rooftop AC unit installed and I purchased PUG's for both bunk ends. We did not have that much shade and having the PUGs really did help! Not so much at night, but it helped keep the inside of the pup from getting even hotter during the day! This helped the AC from not having to work as hard to cool it down when we got back to the CG while the sun was still up. So, long story short, they were worth the money!!

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It is darn worth every penny I paid for PUGS. The gizmo deflected sunlight from the bunkend top. without the gizmo it is very HOT to touch under the bunkend top. With gizmo the bunkend is cool to touch and affects the room temperature.

Now sometimes you cannot choose which site you want for shade but the gizmo helps a lot.

HappyTraveler, Tronicus and theseus like this.
  10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I would say a necessity. Beside the cool/warm aspects, they help to protect the bunkends from the elements.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

luxury, we had them. They are nice, but we had popups for years without them. Very nice in cold weather and would be the first thing I would buy for cold weather camping. Summer they are nice during the day to keep you cool and you dont feel the radiant heat from the sun. But are you going to be hanging out in the camper during the heat of the day?? We don't, our idea is to get out and do things. If we are just going to sit in the camper all day what's the point to going camping. I have a house that is more comfortable sit around at.

I would plan on getting them in the fall when they have a sale.

davdew8 likes this.
  12. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Sounds like a plan!

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I would not camp in a popup without them. They helped in hot and cold weather, and protected the vinyl bunk end roofs from UV, sap, bird poo, etc. We camped in our pups mostly in the 4Corners states, so desert and mountains, but also across the country, and spring through late fall - a couple of times in the winter too.
    When we bought the second pup, I had a chance to compare - literally side-by-side - one with PUGs, the other without. The difference between the two, as I moved supplies from old to new, was the difference between being comfortable and not.

14. cyndib

cyndib Member

We're also from the St Louis area. Camping in Missouri, PUGS and reflectix are a must. Put the reflectix in all the windows and PUGS on the bunkends. One nice thing they keep it darker in the mornings so the little ones will sleep later. Also keeps it cooler and darker for afternoon naps, as I see you are camping with a three year old. They truly are worth the money. We made our own PUGS for our first popup, the new one we purchased the PUGS. They are worth the money. One word of advice, have them place the Velcro on the end that attaches to the roof. That makes it much easier. Best of luck and happy camping!

15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Do you have to install and remove the PUGs every time you set up and down?

16. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I keep my PUGS on my bunk ends all season, only taking them off at the end of the season. It helps to have the Velcro on the PUGS so that they stay in place throughout the summer.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Dingit - It depends. We could not leave the one on our first pup, there just wasn't enough clearance to add the much fabric folded in with the tenting. The ones for the second pup had the Velcro to attach to the roof edge, so they did stay in place. I did a ring mod for the shock cords, so I only had to take care of 4 groups, crocheting them together, instead of 20 separate lines to keep track of.

18. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Hmm. so...it depends. :)

19. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Above 90 or below 40 necessary. Any other temp? Luxury.

20. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I do not have enough clearance to leave the pugs on when folding down and avoid anything that increases setup/takedown times. I did put reflective sports blankets on the ends on one trip, a dry camping event with family, but rarely bother. We don't spend enough time insided during the day to make it worth it.

We did have one miserable trip to Matagorda when mosquitos were so bad you couldn't go outside. Luckily we had power on that trip.

As others have said, it's what works for you.