Pugs--nice to have or necessary?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Muller 5, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I leave mine on 24/7. I fold it neatly so the roof can come down perfectly during set down.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have mine on every time I camp. I have the Velcro option and that makes leaving them on easy. I did try rolling them up using a pool noddle but it was a pain sometimes so I just fold them in with the bunkend now.

3. bfahs

bfahs Member

Depending on the weather where / when you camp. Can be either.
    In very hot or very cold, I'd say necessity.

4. Jennilou

Jennilou New Member

I was cheap. I didn't want to spend as much as the pugs cost, so I bought two space blankets and some small clothespin type clamps. It worked well and made an amazing difference. Total cost was about $50.

wmgeorge and RSMacios like this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I went with the 9x12 tarps with SILVER color to the outside on our bunk ends... Works pretty good for us... Tarps available from WALMART for $6 to 8$ or so. They last a good two seasons...

Probably not the prettiest thing in the world... Use stretch rope to tie down...

[​IMG]
    Roy's Image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

That's what I ended up with.

7. DJNC

DJNC New Member

Got to ask, where is the best place to buy them? Go.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I believe they have a sale during Thanksgiving holiday.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

DJNC likes this.
  10. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

I got myself a set last summer and it made a good difference. An unexpected benefit was that the volume of rain was muted a bit. It was a rainy trip and the nice rain sound we all love was amplified to sounding like we were sleeping in a drum. The PUGs muted it down to a really nice pitter patter

11. RSMacios

RSMacios New Member

How'd they work in the wind?

12. Dkonesh

Dkonesh New Member

We went out for first outing this year and it was wet and cold, and I have to say, the Popup gizmos were awesome!!! They really helped keep the heat in, was nice to sleep in a trailer of 23*C when it was 9*C outside :). Definitely worth the investment if you camp in older/hot climates. We have camped in 35*C+ heat and other nights were it has gone to -3*C (reason we bought a pop up!) so they are great to have with a heater. Next month if it gets hotter we will see how the heat deflection works :)

13. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

I vote necessity. I initially thought I was getting fleeced but after owning them for a few months, I now see that this is an excellent product /100% worth the money.

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We had some and the Florida sun disintegrated them. We had homemade ones, from emergency blankets and the sun ate those first. Then I was gifted the PUGS, which lasted about a year before turning into silver dust. We ordinarily camp 5 days per month, year round.

The a/c keeps the camper plenty cool without them, so not going to bother with any more of them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    bheff likes this.
  15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We had them in the north and they were good when we sold the camper after 3 years and we camp 30+ days a years. FL sun will destroy just about anything.

Orchid and kitphantom like this.
  16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

So true! Nothing lasts here.

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

My ex father in law, and one of my best friends from college both live in Missouri, and I have camped that area in the summer. It's nowhere near as bad as coastal Texas, but it is still hot and sticky. And I hate trying to sleep in hot and sticky, so I would say SOME sort of bunk end heat control would be in order.

I haven't gone to a Pop Up yet, but am still tent camping, but in the south with AC. I use a cheap Harbor Freight silver poly tarps, $9.99 each minus the coupons, always use Harbor Freight coupons... https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ft-...ective-heavy-duty-silver-tarpaulin-30873.html

I set it either OVER the rainfly, or INSTEAD of the rainfly. It helps reflect heat away from the body of the tent, and reduces the heat exchange with the surrounding air.

Were I to have a pop up with pop out bunk ends, and a budget crunch, which is why I haven't gone with a pop up yet, I would get the tarps I linked, and about 8 elastic cords. I got 6 footers from Lowes for something like $3.00 each. Figure out the best way to secure the tarp over the bunk ends with the bungee cords and enjoy the cooler interior. Make CERTAIN your tarp edge is under the roof of the pop up though, in case it rains you don't want water between the tarp and the canvas.

Do some bargain shopping, beg, barter, or borrow to get your costs down as far as you can.

FWIW, I have seen ONE person use old sleeping bags between the bunk end canvas, and the tarp. He said it helped as much as the tarp in keeping it cooler... YMMV of course.

As mentioned above, sun will deteriorate the tarps over the long term, however I have been using mine tent camping for the last 7 years and it hasn't disintegrated yet. Getting dog eared though...

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We also had the pugs bunkend blanket which did a great job keeping it warm. Which when we sold the camper 7 years ago I cut to size to fit under the bunkend mattresses. What a difference once we did that. The beds warm up nicly and are not as cold.

We just came back from 2 weeks in FL. Pensacola and Tampa area. Had to go down in the hot weather our DD was getting her pilot wings from the navy. But it was too hot and too many bugs. Did I mention bugs, lot of bugs..... We ended up in the camper, but did not do any hiking. Except going to attraction, and visiting people, we stayed in the camper and ran the AC. It was so nice to get in the Blue Ridge mountains and camp without the AC. For us FL in the summer is like the north in the winter. You stay inside and run the AC vs the furnace.

19. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

...I’m feeling fortunate that I have been able to camp without worrying about it being too hot. I was in Arches a week ago and the daytime temps got into the low 90s, but that was during the day. At night it was cool enough to sleep. Low humidity helps, too.

Drive north until it’s cold enough... ;)

HappyTraveler likes this.
  20. bookooc

bookooc New Member