Pugs--nice to have or necessary?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Muller 5, Jan 29, 2019.

1. bookooc

bookooc New Member

This is pretty much what I did. I wanted to see if they made a difference. They really help a lot when camping in GA in the summer heat.

2. Bob Sandlak

Bob Sandlak New Member

I just ordered the high-wind ones today. I know it's going to make a big difference here in Florida. It's a 'mod' that would make camping a lot nicer in the hot sun. I did the ring idea for clipping, makes it easier to hook cords together.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    kitphantom likes this.
  3. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

They are pricey but I think they are well worth it. In Texas I don't care about cold so much. But in a campsite without shade they work extremely well keeping the bunk ends cooler. I recommend them.

Phoodieman

4. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

I keep thinking about how these can work so well. It’s clear that a lot of people really like them, and I could see how they help in the cold, but I’m not understanding how they help much when it is hot. If it is hot, I want all the flaps down so I can let the breeze in to help it from getting stuffy inside. It seems like wrapping the ends might slow down the heating process a bit, but not enough to be better than just opening everything up.

Maybe it’s one of those things that you just have to do in order to understand it?

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The PUGs are mostly just on the roof. They reflect the sunshine and heat, as well as provide a bit of air space between the PUGs and the vinyl roof. (Yes, they are also useful in cold weather.)
    As I have recounted before, I had a chance to compare our two pups side-by-side, with PUGs on the old, small one, which had fabric-backed vinyl tenting (i.e. not breathable) and the new, larger one that had Sunbrella tenting. Both had the window flaps wide open. The small pup was more comfortable than the larger one, as I moved supplies from it over to the new one.
    Being able to open the window flaps is one reason we ended up clipping up fleece panels around the bunk end when it was chilly, even though we also owned the inner bunk end liners from PUGs. With the fleece, we could take some of them down during the day, when we wanted to open window flaps, while the PUGs liners were all one piece. Where we camp, temps can range widely, from 30s-40s at night, to 70s-80s during the day.
    Another good thing about the PUGs is that they get the UV exposure, along with bird droppings, sap, etc. Much easier (& cheaper) to replace those than the tenting.
    We used the high wind version, since we also have wind on a regular basis. I did a ring mod, so that I didn't have to clip all 20 shock cords ends every time we set up. This is how is looked - you can see there's not problem opening the window flaps.

Attached Files:

6. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

Well seeing pictures helps clear it up. I would have sworn I had seen pictures of them wrapped all the way around the ends, but I guess not.

The side benefit of the pugs taking the UV beating / bird droppings / tree sap is a definite plus.

I guess I will put them back on my list of things to consider...the additionl sett-up / tear-down time (as well as space to pack them) is something I’d have to get OK with, though...

7. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

Do you have a link to where you describe the mod? Or can you tell me more about it? I just ordered the high wind version this week and am trying to figure out the easiest way to use them.

8. kitphantom

We added a lash hook under each side of the bunk, and bought a metal ring at the hardware store (in those drawers full of all sorts of handy bits and bobs). The only disadvantage is that they do sort of push on the edge of the bunk under the vinyl. We worried about abrasion and added one of the clear camping tapes around the bottom edge - mistake, it made more goo at the edges. If anything, we should have used a piece of pool noodle, or just left it alone.

Attached Files:

9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

You can order the PUGs with the velcro sewn on the end that would tuck up under the roof. That way, you can leave them attached, but unhooked on the sides and just tuck it in with the canvas. Saves a LOT of set-up time doing it that way.

jmkay1 likes this.
  10. davido

davido Active Member

They're necessary when it's too hot for the air conditioner to keep up without them.
    They're also necessary when you cannot use the air conditioner, and there's sunshine, and it's over 80 out.

They're also necessary if you're trying to survive on an electric heater below 30 degrees, or trying to avoid running the furnace too much below 45 degrees.

For moderate temperatures, just nice to have.

Anyway, order a set. They're not tremendously expensive, and can really make things a lot more comfortable if it's hot and sunny.

HappyTraveler and kitphantom like this.
  11. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

They are on my mental list for now...I think I will wait for one of those "I sure wish I had the some PUGs" moments before I actually pull the trigger on them. We aren't normally in the campground during the day, so the high temps / sun isn't really an issue (so far, at least), but they might be useful if we start camping in cold weather.

12. Finally Off The Ground

Finally Off The Ground New Member

What's a PUG? :/

13. kitphantom

Popup Gizmos, reflective covering for the bunk ends. I would not camp in a popup in any weather without them.
    http://popupgizmos.com/

14. SammieJo

SammieJo New Member

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but what is a pug? And what is its purpose? Im completely new at camping and am a first time popup owner. Never been camping in a tent, but have in a 5th wheel with my granparents when I was growing up. Thank you

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

a pug is short for popup Gizmo, see the above poster to your comment for the website address. The intention is to help reflect the sun and heat away from your bunkend in the summer and in the cold help keep the heat in so it doesn't leak out from the top. Every little bit helps.

16. SammieJo

SammieJo New Member

Oh wow. Great! Thank you. I know of these and am looking to purchase but didn't know thats what they were called. Thank you for the responce.

17. Bob Sandlak

Bob Sandlak New Member

I sewed on Velcro and glued and stapled other part of Velcro to camper top. I don't have to remove them as they don't take up any room. Before I put them on, I couldn't touch the inside ceiling bar it was so hot. After I installed them, the metal was cool to the touch with the air on. I highly recommend these. I ordered the best ones, maximum winds. Bob is very friendly and helpful and you get the in four days. Shipped from Texas. I've camped 8 days with then on the coast of Florida in Very hot weather.....love em.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  18. kitphantom

You can have Bob sew the Velcro on Gizmos, which is handy. We had to staple to hook part to the underside of the roof, since the Velcro adhesive wouldn't stay stuck on either side on the first set of PUGs for our last pup. (It's not uncommon in our hot/arid climate.)
    I sewed the plush side on myself with the first set, it was easier to have Bob do it with the second set.

19. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

I can't remember if I shared my thoughts on the PUGS but I'll comment again if I did. [:D] We absolutely would purchase again. These really do keep the PUP drastically cooler in the hot summer seasons when we're camping and you can notice the AC isn't as labored when running constantly. My only complaint is that since we have the Super High Wind series the AC Drains onto the pugs and then runs down the straps onto our canvas windows on the rear bunk which makes it VERY hard for those to dry out. I'm currently working on trying to fabricate some sort of channel/gutter for the rear of the PUP so the AC condensate drains OFF the camper and not onto the bunk.

20. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

There are mods for this exact problem. Some use a pool noodle and I saw one that used J-channel from vinyl siding and clear plastic tubing over the end to guide the water to the ground.
    Here's one link: https://www.google.com/search?q=pop...KEwi7ipuAwKPlAhXIJt8KHTOuANEQrQIoBDAAegQIAxAN