PUGS

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Natureangel, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

My dyi covers are getting thin after 3 years and I’m ready to buy the real thing. Is it worth it to get the super high wind? The Velcro that gets added is it the soft side? How long do they last with moderate use? And can they stay in place when folded down?
    Thanks!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We had the high wind version on our first pup and the super high wind version on our second one. Given where we camp, the super high wind version was definitely worth it. We'd had every type of clip we used on the first pup pop off at one time or another. While the SHW version looked like a silver balloon a few times, at least it stayed in place.
    You can request either plush or hook side of the Velcro to be added.
    We did leave ours on the second pup when we folded it down (not room to do so on the first pup). I did a ring mod for all the shock cords of the SHW version, and "crocheted" them so they tangled less and were easier to cope with when we set up.
    Our first set on the Cobalt lasted a couple of years - we abused them pretty well - they had snow and ice frozen on them a few times, high wind, high altitude UV, etc. on them - but we figured it was far better for them to get the wear and tear than the vinyl bunk roofs.

friartuck and Natureangel like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

The Super High Wind version is nice and it's, in my opinion, far easier to deal with since everything needed to attach is right there on the PUGs. I clip my tie-downs to the bungee under the bunkend. The Velcro which comes with the PUGs is the "soft side", you need to purchase the "wire side" separately. It's easy to attach to the under side of the lid. I suggest attaching it in at least two sections, easier to manage and to keep it straight. I also use staples to make sure it stays attached.

See: http://popupportal.com/threads/popup-gizmos-setup.44735/

This is from my old camper but the same setup still applies.

friartuck likes this.
  4. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Thanks, I have the ‘wire’ side already attached to the lip of the roof. I guess I’ll spring for the High wind type.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have the SHW Gizmos with Velcro. No question, get them.

I have had them blow around in high winds and move up the bunk end, but never off. They come with the clips too and once I started using the clips (in tandem with the shock cord), they never moved off of the bunk end again.

friartuck and Natureangel like this.
  6. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I had the regular PUGS on my first popup, and have the High Wind version with Velcro on this one. Get the Super High Wind version. I like my High Wind version, but I do spend more time getting clips put on and off. Next time I will get the SHW version.

7. bob414

bob414 Member

Looking for the Super High Wind version, I am concerned on the weight and Size require for storage. Any info would be appreciated.

Bob

8. bob414

bob414 Member

Double post please delete.

Bob

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Weight is minimal or about the same weight as plastic tarp of the same size. I have both of my SHW Gizmos rolled up tight and placed in a box about one square foot (1'x1'x1') with plenty of room to spare.

I would normally keep them on the pup all season because I have the optional Velcro ends, but I took them off to let them dry off after it rained this past weekend. Normally they will dry off on the bunk ends but some moisture got under the Gizmos an I was in a hurry so I removed them to dry everything faster.