Pulley alignment

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by rtd, Oct 6, 2021.

1. rtd

rtd New Member

I have a Jayco 1406 with a lift issue. On the driver's side front pulley assembly, where there are two cables heading back to the two rear push coils, the cables have literally sliced through the pulley bracket over time. The only way I think that could happen is if the whole unit, which includes the push coil for that corner, and the pulley assembly I mentioned, has somehow been pulled out of whack. The question is: should the pulley be parallel to the floor?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

How are the other corners arranged?

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

generally yes, the pulley that allow the cables to turn the corner and go to and over the wheel well should line up with the source and and the next pulley.

The track and associated other pulleys are seperate parts.
    here are various curved tracks, not suggesting this vendor! for info only!
    http://www.popupparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_1932_1933_3270

4. rtd

rtd New Member

Thanks for all the input. I did order parts from popupparts. When I get them is anyone's guess. It sounds like days to weeks.
    As I have no inside place to work on the trailer (which is presently in my driveway with the roof blocked up with 2 x 4's), I am trying to figure out how to safely drop the roof and put it into winter storage while I wait for the parts and install them next spring. I will probably try to use old parts for now and finesse it down. One of the cable has been mangled to about two strands. And the trick will be threading new cables along the side wall of the trailer behind the water heater and furnace.

I'm still trying to figure out how the cable cut through the pulley bracket over time. One thing I did notice when troubleshooting is the whiffletree tends to swivel about the main cable as it goes through a lifting cycle. This means the cables aren't going through the pulley in a straight line. There's now an offset in its travel to where I could see a cable running up against the pulley bracket. I'm not saying the whiffletree actually spins on the main cable. I think it spins(along with the main cable) because the main cable will tend to rotate in the direction of its stranding as it is put under tension.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

A picture or two may help. One side of the pulley is inline or level with where the cable is coming from. The other side is inline or level with where the cable is going. The pulley is mounted to carry the load in an opposing vector, so the pulley is not side loaded. I've seen many pulleys mounted on angles to direct cables over or around an obstacle.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Well of the pully wasnt oiled, and got stuck , cable jumped the pully, or you have a rough spot on the cable itself it will cut and damage things. Same as on a garrage door.

7. rtd

rtd New Member

I guess what I'm saying is it appears the cable which sliced through the bracket is not entering the pulley dead-on from the whiffletree. I think the four cables from the tree are rotating as the roof lifts up and down. When the roof is up, I noticed the four cables are wound tightly together in a spiral the width of the trailer. I would think they should, instead, be constantly kept spaced apart as they are spaced right out of the whiffletree.
    The pulley turns freely and is intact except for the side lip of it where the cable ate through it behind it sawed through the bracket.

8. Sjm9911

Got pictures? I never had a jayco. The wiffle tree on the coleman has a metal cover so the cables would tension a metal spacer bar and that hit the cover so the cables wouldn't spin.

9. rtd

rtd New Member

No pictures.
    At least with the Coleman system, the metal spacer bar (equivalent to the Jayco whiffletree) cannot change orientation with respect to the floor of the camper so their cables are always properly entering whatever pulleys are in the rest of the system.

10. Sjm9911

11. Sjm9911

12. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The plate where the 4 corner cables attach to the main winch cable should have a bearing on the end of the main winch cable to keep the corner cables from twisting together as you raise and lower the camper. My guess is that that bearing has collapsed and the twisting of the corner cables is pulling them out of alignment.

Sorry, I don't have a pic. And that's not a whiffle tree.

See page 8 in https://www.cunninghamcampers.com/fckimages/pdf/diagrams/LW_Lift_System_Replacement.pdf

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. rtd

rtd New Member

thank you for the replies.

SteveP - Good info on the bearing. I wasn't quite sure there was one there but it makes sense there should be. And, I agree it's not really a whiffletree by the true definition of the word. It just seems to be an accepted term for it. It's more like a "cable manifold".

14. rtd

rtd New Member

Has anyone with a Jayco ever noticed if there is a bearing of some sort where the winch cable passes through the plate which the 4 corner cables attach to?
    During the repair of my lift system I found the factory had installed only some flat washers on the winch cable so that the end crimp rested on these. They were dry so I greased all the washer faces and crimp. I then notice the corners cables no longer twisted together during a crank cycle.