Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte, FL - Campground Recommendations???

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by tenttrailer, Dec 30, 2014.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We headed down to FL to visit our two DD's the second week of April. We have the one CG selected for DD2 located in Jacksonville, but DD1 at Punta Gorda we can not find anything that the we think the GK's would have fun at

Punta Gorda; I can't seem to find anything that looks good. We will have the two GK's stay with us for a few days. So we're looking for something that would be cool for the the GK's (2 and 10) like a beach or great trails. Within 20 miles of Punta Gorda FL. Hookup or no hookup at that time of the year, I don't think it will matters. Hot showers are a must.

2. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Have you tried checking out Florida State Parks map? Here is the link to that specific area- http://www.floridastateparks.org/findapark/district-southwest.cfm

I know, surprisingly enough, that there isn't much of SP camping in that area. I am sure someone more familiar with Punta Gorda will soon chime in. I would think there would have to be some private CGs down there somewhere with activities for kids. But then again this IS Florida and many are geared more towards the retirees rather than kids. Or so it seems. I could be wrong!

3. tenttrailer

Thank you. I did look at the FL SP. Only one around there is Koreshan and it looks like it's 30+ miles. It does not look like a CG for kids?

4. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

I haven't been to that one, but I have nothing but great things about it. I don't know what kind of activites there are in the area for kids. You could also check to see if there are any KOA's around. They can be pricey, but from what I have read on here many have activities onsite for kids.

5. tenttrailer

It seems the sP was some type of, off the wall religious group compound back in the early 1900's and the last few members in the 50 or 60's gave it to the state. It looks like it maybe 300 acres. It does not look like much for kids. But it looks like a nice park. Right now we'er headed there unless we find a better place.

6. tenttrailer

Which CG do you like?

7. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Koreshan is a nice park... Plenty for the kids to explore in the settlement and along the river. They have a nice playground area and the beaches aren't to far away. We'll be back this summer!

8. tenttrailer

Thanks for the feedback on koreshan. I feeling good about that park