PUP 50Amp upgrade?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by DJO-PUPNEWBIE, Nov 11, 2018.

1. DJO-PUPNEWBIE

DJO-PUPNEWBIE New Member

Hello, all! I don't know if anyone has tried this, which is the reason for this post. My 2009 Flagstaff 207D, like most modern PUPs, has 30amp service. In most cases, this might be sufficient for most people. However, my wife and I like to be comfortable on the hotter days, plus be able to use a couple of appliances simultaneously, without popping the breaker all the time. So, I decided that having more than 30amps available was a priority. The campgrounds provide plenty of power, so I bought the appropriate cords to not only connect to the 30amp for the camper, but to also connect to the 50amp outlet and bring it to the outside of the camper in the form of four 20amp outlets. This helped a ton! Then I thought, why not just upgrade the electrical in the camper to 50amp? I did some looking around and found that it can be done, and will provide a LOT more power than I thought. In fact, TWICE AS MUCH! So, my question is, has anyone else tried this and done it successfully?

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a problem in doing. But do you need that much more elecricity?

If you've got a system that now provides the power you need, do you want to spend time, money and effort just to have "more power" that isn't necessary?

If you really do think it's worth it, then I think you can just add new additional outlets wherever you want and connect them to a new 25 amp breaker with its own 30 amp plug.

Then get a 50amp to 2-30amp splitter, and use that to plug into a 50 amp pedestal whenever available. If only 30 amps is available on the pedestal, then just plug youe original 30amp cord in. Your basic needs will always be available through your original system, but you can use microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc., via the new outlets, breaker, and cord. That would keep your AC separate from other high power devices.

3. DJO-PUPNEWBIE

DJO-PUPNEWBIE New Member

Well, I ran into two scenarios where I wanted more than 30amps, just because of the breaker issue. Anytime I had the AC on and ran a microwave, air fryer, or other appliance, I tripped a breaker. Also, on one colder night, I had a space heater going (for some reason, the furnace wasn't getting warm) and when the coffee maker was on, breaker tripped again. Now, having the extra 50amp cord and splitter solved that problem, but I had cords running around and it was just a mess to take out, set up, then clean up and put away. So, my decision is to make it easier by having it all built-in. I figure I can upgrade the DP to a 50amp box with two 50amp legs and run a ton off of each and never pop a breaker again. I like the camper and want to make it right for the wife and me. I have all winter and a heated garage to do it all in, so I figured I could have a nice winter project to play with and a power-packed camper ready to go in spring. It seems logical, seeing as how I want to keep this for a while. May as well make it right for us.

4. Toedtoes

In that case, it sounds like you will want to put the AC and 1/3 of the outlets on one leg, and the other 2/3 of the outlets on the second leg. You probably will want to add a second outlet at the kitchen area and put each outlet there on a separate leg. That way, you can plug appliances in different legs depending on what else you're using. Put the outlet that you plug the heater into on the same leg as the AC as you will never use them at the same time.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Presumably you understand that 50 amp RV service is in fact 100 amp service (12,000 watts @ 120 vac) - 50 amps each across 2 legs. 30 amp service is is just 3600 watts @ 120 vac across 1 leg so 50 amp service in fact offers ~ 3.3 times the available power. Can't imagine why anyone with a popup would need this much power but hey, if it floats your boat then I guess there's no reason not to.

6. Toedtoes

nevermind

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    bols2Dawall likes this.
  7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I regularly bring along a second extension cord with a multi-head 120VAC sockets and plug into the camp 20AMP SERVICE plug in addition to the standard 30AMP Service. This is mainly for a 120VAC Oil filled heater... I like using this second extension cord for all of my outside 120VAC needs... Having it run on its own 20AMP service from the camp ground prevents me tripping their 30AMP Service breaker. I have run into a couple of camp grounds that did not like you using more than one service connection to their pedestals...

I have really never had any additional 120VAC high wattage service needs other than the Oil Filled Electric heater...

I also on numerous occasions have used a 30A to 50A adapter dogbone connector to use the 50A side of the camp ground pedestal. I see alot of the 30AMP service plugs looking pretty well worn and having burn marks on them. Using the 30A to 50AMP dogbone adapter allows me to use a clean service plug and not do any additional possible damage to my 30A pedestal connector/cable...

Changing over to a 50AMP Service will also require you to install a 50A Dual 120VAc Breaker panel as well... Seems like alot of work just to gain a couple more 120VAC circuits for a small footprint POPUP trailer... Stranger things have been done I reckon haha...

Just my thoughts

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Were you tripping an inside breaker or the 30a breaker at the pedestal? The 30a should be sufficient.

9. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I'm actually considering the same project.

People keep pointing out that 30 amps should be sufficient, but that's only 3600 watts. A/C, kettle, and a water heater exceed that.

Are you charging a battery? A lot of the higher-rated service panels are geared towards having the power available to the converter in order to charge massive banks of batteries, which is probably not something that you’ll need. Thus if your current distribution center is safely capable of higher amperage service, and you’re happy with only 50 amps on one leg, it may be possible to get away with adding new branch circuits to your existing breaker panel. Do check the panel rating! Also make sure your shore cable is the correct gauge. And, holy cow, make sure that you properly cap off that other 50 amp hot! And put a big warning tag on it so the next owner doesn’t do something stupid with it.

If you get a proper 50 amp panel, you’ll have two legs to deal with. You might put the A/C alone on one leg, and everything else on the other leg. You’d also have 220 VAC available on 50 amp service if you wanted to power a high volume air compressor on your trip for some reason (or if you have a lot of overseas 220 VAC stuff like I have). If you have to plug into 30 amp service, you’ll have the same leg on each buss bar, so that rules out 220 VAC appliances, and you’ll have to manage which appliances are on at the same time.

Everyone’s style of camping is different. I don’t have TV’s and stereos, and we’re not “glamping,” but we exceed 30 amps peak quite easily just to keep water and air at desired temperatures.

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

You will need to upgrade your breaker panel, a new converter intended to be used with 50 amp service would be recommended. Unless you have the knowledge to add a 220 volt subpanel to your home I would not recommend it.

Each wire from the service has to be attached to a separate leg of the panel or you will be feeding 220 volts throughout your camper, leading to destruction and possibly death.

11. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

You will definitely need to replace the converter and your breaker panel. I'm guessing you thought
    about it, but its a LOT easier to take a 20amp power chord with you when camping with a strip and
    plug into the other 20 amp service at the box. Plus, don't forget you will more than likely end up
    in a few places that only offer 30 amp service at the pole. You'll then need to run either a splitter
    or an adapter to get back down to 30 amp. Doesn't matter what's in the camper if the service is
    only providing 30, keep in mind.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Also, we have been to campgrounds that only offer 50A service at the sites that accommodate the class "A" rigs. We have been to maybe a handful of campgrounds that offer 30A / 50A at each site. So keep in mind when you make reservations. Usually the sites with 50A service are a little bit more $$ per night due to the size of the site.

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

My 2 previous popups had dedicated outlet for A/C only. I had 2 breakers one for A/C and one for everything else but cannot cook with electric griddle and make coffee at same time with one breaker. I just used a thick cord and plugged in at regular outlet at the power source for making coffee and it solved the problem. I could add another breaker for coffee maker and it would be fine

14. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Wow I thought camping is getting away from the civilized world for awhile.
    I get by with a 1000 watt generator,battery charger and a 12 volt battery in a 17 foot travel trailer.

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I do not camp to get away from civilized world so I can be uncivilized for a while.

I do rugged camping without a generator, battery charger and even 12 volt battery. Isn't that civilizing camping? Restrain from comforts of home.

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

50 Amp. service provides 50 Amp. You can use it at 240 v or split it on 120 v lines. You still only get 50 Amps.

17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

220 221 whatever it takes

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  18. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I did like that movie.

19. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

Can you legally even buy such a cord? This kind of stuff would never be allowed in a house and is a recipe for disaster. You basically have a system with wiring designed for 30 amps, that can potentially pull up to 50 amps before flipping the breaker. I understand there are breaker box in the camper, but there is still a point of failure.

To piggy back on op to upgrade to 50A its not just a larger extension cord. The wireing between the input popup plug and the breaker box in the unit would need to be upgraded to 50a, and the main electrical box would need to be upgraded as well.

20. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

But it's 50 amps at 240 VAC. Because we use split phase systems in North American non-industrial settings, that's also 50 amps per each of the two 120 VAC legs, or a total of 100 amps of 120 VAC power. Whether at 240 or 120, you have 12,000 VA ( 50 * 240 or 2 * 50 * 120) available.

Assuming purely resistive loads, 12,000 VA is 12,000 W, compared to 3600 VA (or W) available with 30 amp service.

1380ken likes this.