PUP 50Amp upgrade?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by DJO-PUPNEWBIE, Nov 11, 2018.

1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think the point is that 50 amps would be way overkill in a popup. If you need more than the 30 amps run an extension cord to the 120 volts on the pedestal. .

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

zzzzz [SNZ] oh i just woke up o_O what happened here?

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The OP stated that they use a lot of power in their popup I, on the other hand, use very little in my motorhome or FnR. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the rig.

The OP has found a solution, but was questioning whether it was simple/possible to change out to a 50amp system. To that, yes it's possible and there are different ways to go about it. I would do some research on the internet and maybe talk to an RV repair place about specific concerns, etc.

If the OP could find or create a schematic of his pup's wiring, he could take that to a repair shop and ask for advice. Fortunately, many repair shops won't work on pups, so they may be more willing to give some advice and not want to take on the job themselves.

4. Toedtoes

What it looks like on paper isn't what it is. You don't get 100amps. You get two 50amps. There is a difference.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

6. Toedtoes

But you also have to look at the pedestal's circuit breakers AND the RV's circuit breakers. The pedestal circuit breaker for the 50amp outlet is actually two 50amp breakers. If you tried to pull more than 50amps from either leg, that breaker will blow.

The RV will have a main 50amp breaker for each leg, then it will have probably a dedicated 30 or 20 amp breaker for the AC, and a couple 15 or 20 amp breakers for the rest. In addition, it will have a bunch of fuses at anywhere from 5-30 amps before that. So, if you try to pull more than 50amps from one leg of the 50amp outlet, your RV system will blows fuses and/or breakers accordingly.

Again, what it looks like on paper is not how it works in the real world. You can argue that it will pull 100amps at 120v, but that is only if you remove all the real life protections put into place in the pedestal and RV.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

And you have no phase shifting devices.

Toedtoes likes this.
  8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

take a look a breaker trip curves!!! how fast does a 50A breaker trip @51A?
    The air condition startup exceeds is 20A breaker without tripping!

That is not the fun and games going on here, no need to argue that, I'm just suggesting 50A service is rated for 12,000 watts which ~3.3 times more than 30A service so while in a PU having 3 > 10A trips main, with 50A service one could easily have 8 x 12A appliances at once.

9. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Two times 50 amps being pull is 100 amps being pulled. You can't pull them to the same place (you can, but then you're back to 50 amps 240 VAC). That means you can't have a single load over 50 amps (usual disclaimers for reactance). If you have two 50 amp loads in your trailer, you are pulling 100 amps. You are consuming 12,000 watts. In five seconds you consume 60 kJ of energy. If you put a dog collar over each of the hots, the ammeters will each report 50 amps.

I don't get what everyone is clarifying. It's really this simple.

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

What is a phase shifting device?

11. Toedtoes

Go back to sleep... ;)

Halford likes this.
  12. tombiasi

In this case anything with a motor.

13. tombiasi

I think people, including me, were nit picking. It's boring without camping.

Toedtoes likes this.
  14. Toedtoes

Yep. Sometimes a silly discussion like this passes the time...

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

[SNZ]

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

This is correct. Just like the breaker panel in your house. 220V with a center tap as the neutral. 50A on each leg.
    With a 50A/220V supply, you could run 2 20A A/C units on a single leg. and 50A of whatever you want on the other leg. When you only have 30A/120V available, you just need to be careful what you run. You'll still have the ability to draw more than 30A, but the breaker at the post will trip at >30A total load.

17. DJO-PUPNEWBIE

DJO-PUPNEWBIE New Member

You know...I forgot about this post and just read through it. Sheesh! Mine was a simple question and it became a 3-page shooting match. Anyway, I put in a 50A DP with 6GA wiring to a marine-grade twist-lock plug to the outside of the camper. There is a twin 50A breaker with 3 paired breakers on each leg. Half to the front and half to the back. I added several outlets for convenience. Everything is on it's own breaker. The way it was done when I was finished, you'd think it came from the factory that way. I have loaded this thing up and have not tripped a breaker yet. I ran two 1,500W space heaters, an ice maker, microwave, electric hotplate, two fridges, a dehumidifier, and more, all at the same time. No problem. I also installed a new 70A 12V power converter (WAY overkill!). BUT, this camper will never, ever, be under-powered...unless I only have 30A available on the pedestal. It's now called the "Power PUP"...

Rusty2192 and Balthisar like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Nice upgrade! You certainly will charge that battery in a hurry! Enjoy your new capacity and lack of worry.

19. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

May I ask why you need so much power? What do you need to run??

20. DJO-PUPNEWBIE

DJO-PUPNEWBIE New Member

Well, I have a host of small appliances that I keep in the camper, such as a microwave, coffee pot, dehumidifier, ice maker, electric hotplate, the A/C, the 12V converter, exterior lights, an extra fridge for longer stays, plus the normal things like cell phone chargers and the laptops. Oh, and can't forget the air fryer. Doing this project was well worth the time and investment. There were other things that were found and improved on along the way: the skeletons in the closet are no longer there. I'm still researching a few things that bother me, but they are not on the critical list and not electrical.

Balthisar likes this.