Pup camping in windy weather?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by wardog, Apr 20, 2011.

1. wardog

wardog Member

I saw the other thread that asked about camping with 40% chance of rain but I am more concerned about camping in windy weather. Our plans for this Easter weekend is to go camping with some friends that are all in motor homes. We will be the only pup. Here in the DFW area we have had storm after storm the past 2 weeks. Most of them coming with winds and hail. The weekend is looking pretty good with a lower chance of thunderstorms but it is calling for wind 15-25 miles an hour with gusts of 30-35 all weekend. Since I have not been to this location before I am not sure if our site will have any tree coverage or just be open. I am really not interested in damaging my beloved pup but would really like to go camping. I've seen where some have posted they have been in winds camping and it has been fine but would you do it again knowing it was to be windy? I looked thru the manual to see if there was a recommendation for on what level of wind is to much for the pup but didn't find anything. I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

2. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I have not yet had the experience of camping in my p'up with high winds, but I've seen quite a few threads in this regard. For the most part, the conclusion seems to be that the p'up does fine in high winds though it can be nerve racking and you may not get much sleep.

Now for my opinion on the matter...I would think those wind speeds would be fine. I would be concerned if winds were sustained for long periods of time in excess of 30 - 35 MPH, but that's just me. Like I said, most people here on the forum have said the p'up does fine....it just seems to me that if it's not sheltered somewhat, it's got to put a lot of stress on the lifting arms and everything else.

I've had mine up in the drive way with sustained winds of around 25 - 30 with occasional gusts to 50 and she seemed to hold up ok for that afternoon. It was a real pain in the butt taking her down though.

3. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

We just camped in some of those storms that came our way from TX. Fortunately our PUPs trailing end was pointed into the wind and the tow end was our sleeping end. As bad as the winds were, it was not really that bad.

4. drnos

drnos New Member

The high winds at Agua Caliente campground (San Diego desert) are why I got a pup in the first place.

Two years ago in a Costco tent I spent a sleepless night while the tent blew over me, then popped up, then blew over me, etc etc etc. I said "enough of this" and bought a used Coleman pup.

I was back at Agua Caliente the first weekend of April. Night winds were moderately high, gusting 20-25 prolly, and the pup was fine.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This may not be possible because of the layout of the camping area, but if you are going with people in motorhomes try to get them on the upwind side and set up in their lee. Maybe even get between two of them.

6. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

As mentioned in another thread, we camped in our pup on the side of Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado last July. The winds were gusting to 45mph. The uncertainty made for a few long nights. Our site has zero windbrakes and came out of it with no damage. We did keep the awning stowed though to avoid damage. Here the pic I posted in the other thread showing the geography of our campsite.

I'd do it again knowing what I know now, but if I'm being completely honest I'd admit that I'd rather do it in a hard-sided camper.

[​IMG]

7. Steve Sorrells

Steve Sorrells New Member

We were camping in Cherokee, NC a couple of weeks ago and we had very windy conditions the whole time. It was a pain in the rear to get the PUP set up but once it was up, we had no problems with the wind...we just made do without the awning. There was a big storm that came through on our last night and large hail was forcasted. I did take the PUP down for that storm and we spent our last night in a very small cabin they had available in the campground. I was glad we did when the storm came through that night. The folks at the campgorund even let me park the PUP under a picnic shelter to that night to avoid potential hail damage to the aluminum roof. I was mighty olbliged when the hail started coming down.

8. wardog

wardog Member

Thanks for all the quick responses. Camperdawg, glad you were able to get your pup under cover before the storm hit.

9. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

We were out this past weekend during the east coast storms. The wind did not seem to bother us. The rain was very loud.

We were under trees and I get more nervous about a limb or tree coming down than anything else. If you keep your fabric tight it should not flap too much. We did keep our awning in all weekend.

10. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

We were out this past weekend in that storm too! no problems here and the wind direction would have pushes trees down into the woods away from our camper so I guess we got lucky. I need to keep in mind wind direction when picking my sites from now on.

11. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

With the 20 25 mph winds I'd leave the awning down and try to park into the wind. I've had the Yuma out in 30+ sustained winds without a problem, and the Bayside was just out this past weekend with 15+ sustained winds - no problem either! FYI the other 3 pups out with our group (2 Jaycos and another Coleman) left the awnings up all weekend. One even had the AAR up with nothing more than 1 pole that fell down.

12. br9

br9 Member

My wife didn't like the canvas hitting her on top of her head all night. Other than that wind never botherd us. :)

13. denibop03

denibop03 New Member

we were camping last weekend while the [{}=] came through SC and NC. We had allot of wind and rain and our Fleetwood held up great. Just be carefull with the awning. :)

14. ace42

ace42 New Member

We had an experience with the wind last fall with the PUP. The winds were gusting from 25 to 40 miles an hour which started to get us worried. PUP's will withstand a good amount of force I was impressed. I did have one spot towards the top that just jumped out of the track from the beating it took. I'll never forget seeing the tall trees start to bend that worried me than anything of possibly a tornado in the middle of the night. Didn't actually get a good night sleep in the camper that night.

Ace42

15. LisaFree

LisaFree New Member

What exactly do you do with the awning when a storm blows in? You can't exactly reach the awning bag to roll it up, so do you just let it hang in front of the door?

16. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

keep a milk crate with you at all times. makes a nice step stool when turned over.

17. AlanTn

AlanTn New Member

pretty much know the forecast before we go and act accordingly . the awning is a pain if you're already popped up

18. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

I've camped in the pup a number of times in the wind here in oklahoma. I know the exact type of wind you're talking about!

However.... I was feeling pretty confident after surviving several different windy situations. The last time we camped, it was forecasted to be 25-30 mph continuous winds. I parked my pup facing into the wind, thinking that it would be less stressful on the lift arms. Which is was. But the continuous wind bent my shephard's hook on the bed. Bent it so badly it nearly snapped, and I'm awaiting a replacement as we speak. Plus, it ripped some of the tenting on my dinette slide out of the track after tearing through the screw that holds it in. So, had to order more of the connecting rubber pieces and will now have to learn to sew new pieces in.

After $55 bucks and knowing I've got a lot of sewing to do.... I won't camp in high wind anymore. Anything above 20 continuous and I'm out.

19. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

As Unstable said, try to use your friends RV's as a wind break! Get one on each side of you if possible. It will not cut the wind totally, but it should help cut it down a bit. Now as for possible hail, I would bring a large tarp to be able to cover the whole thing.

Not sure if this is possible, but bring padding of some sort that will fit on the roof and then cover it with the tarp. At least the padding will absorb the shock of the hail hitting....

20. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Now I know you'll never be between two MHs, so what do you do?