Pup Camping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by doglover44, Mar 1, 2011.

1. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Great topic! Without the crazy cost of a Trailmanor, we don't spend a whole lot on camping as we do a lot of Corps and SP weeks. We have the Senior Pass and get senior discounts other places (there's some perks to getting old [;)]) and it's usually just the two of us - and the dogs.

Most CGs run us btwn. $11-$22/night, depending on what state and type CG. We find it's probably less expensive camping that staying at home and blowing money at Home Depot and Costco just to have something to do. Camping in the great outdoors (and we DO cook outside 95% of the time) is more rewarding. I make a lot of crockpot meals as well as easy skillet meats/veggies. We also have to include the cost of whatever venues we visit (i.e., the forts at Clinch and Boonesborough, cavern tours, etc.), but they are usually nominal. As someone here said, "It's a lot cheaper than DisneyWorld!" [LOL]

2. kozmos

kozmos New Member

This is one of the greatest comments I've read in a long time! Thanks. My dad says that his last check will be overdrawn! I had a fantastic childhood and hope to provide the same for my children and part of that is enjoying time away and outdoors with them be it in a tent or the new PUP. Did we have the money sitting in the safe just looking for something to spend it on....not really. But when we decided to by the PUP we did a lot of thinking and decided that it was a great investment for the family and money well spent. With 2 kids and 2 dogs and a love and desire to enjoy the outdoors and experience life it very affordable!

3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Awesome!!!!!!!!!! [CP]

4. campr4fn

campr4fn Member

It's all relative ain't it!
    I tent camped for years with DS in Scouting (and myself in Scouting before that by a few years); saved my pennies and bought a PUP brand new, paid-in-full 4 years ago. We have camped more than 50 nights since, so to me each night is still 'expensive'....BUT, it has increased how often we camp, it has changed who goes camping (everyone has camped now) and we get to more interesting places to jeep (Utah, Nevada, and of course all over Colorado)
    I'm grateful I'm able to pay for the gas which becomes the biggest cost for us, but with so much gorgeous natural scenery close by it still seems inexpensive for a weekend in such magnificence (the Rockies, Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, etc.).

5. theraceshop

theraceshop Belchertown, MA

Just like everyone says "It is all what you make of it."
    Popup - $800.00
    Mods to popup - $300.00
    Gas, Food, Site - $300.00
    Seeing the smile on your sons face
    [​IMG]
    PRICELESS!

6. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

i think the startup and gear is the most expensive part for us at least as we're newbies to PUP camping. but once we've been camping for awhile that stuff will hopefully pay itself off.

food i think is negligible as we would need to eat if we were at home anyway. there are a couple of extras like i normally wouldnt buy bottle water unless camping but thats it.

some CG can be expensive I've seen some as high as $45/night with full hook-ups [:O] But overall still relatively cheap compared to staying virtually anywhere overnight in a hotel plus food plus entertainment with kids!

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Like already said here, all is relative to what you want to do and where you want to go. I hang out mostly in national forests ... stay in their campgrounds and at times out in what we like to call the boonies ... no facilities whatsoever. Staying in NF C/G's has pros and cons. What I like about them is generally they are located near some kind of fishable water and fishing is what I really like to do. Plus the rent in these C/G's is usually less and the sites are usually larger and more private. However, most generally there are no hookups. You have to make do without electrical plus there's the central water supply where you have to "draw" your water from (if you did not tote your own water in). The "facilities" can be anywhere from a pit toilet to the flushers and then sometimes with even hot showers!

Here's a favorite NFS C/G spot for me ... semi remote ... you cannot even see your neighbors on either side or across the way. The places does have a flush toilet along with a "pit" at the far end. The rent is $10.00 ... I get the old fogies discount and that makes it five bucks a night. Oh, and great trout fishing to boot! For me, for what I do, this is a little site of heaven here on this earth!

[​IMG]

8. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

flyfisherman summed it up pretty good! For us (DW and I) we don't usually think of camping as "vacation" per sei. Our favorite spot is about an hour and fifteen door to site so it's mostly weekend get aways for us. The vacation aspect of it....taking it on a road trip...going for a longer stay to see yellowston, Grand Canyon, etc is just gravy.

Took a trip to Carlsbad Caverns a few weeks back....we had just purchased the P'up a couple weekends before. I was trying to convince DW that we should cancel our hotel reservations and take the P'up. We ended up keeping the reservations because we had her sister and the niece and nephew. Hotel = $150 per night X 2 nights (cheap hotel)....looked at the KOA....$40 per night. So, $300 vs $80....no brainer...and like I said, that kind of stuff for us is just gravy.

9. Liv

Liv New Member

Well let's see. This year, we will be camping in CO for 14 nights total for $400. Inexpensive hotel rooms for our large family would have cost for the same amount of time would cost $2100. And in 2 years, the pup has more than paid for itself.
    Lov
    Liv

10. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

If it were only a matter of saving money on hotel fees versus camping costs, we'd be way ahead already, as we've been out eleven nights this year already. On the other hand, we enjoy camping so much that we go on vacations or weekend adventures far more often than we would if we were just doing hotel type trips. I can't imagine we're really saving that much money, but we're enjoying ourselves very much.

Often we go to much closer state parks and our weekend costs won't exceed $100 or so. This last weekend we went to a remote part of the Great Smoky Mountains and camped. It cost us 2 1/2 tanks of gas, $20 in campsite fees, a donation to the park (no admission fees at GRSM). Probably $200 all told (I'm not counting food as we took food from home that we would have had anyway). But we were out in the great outdoors, we saw about 40 elk (reintroduced to the park a few years ago), hiked and enjoyed the scenery. We didn't save any money, but what a return on our investment!

11. tracker366

tracker366 New Member

To tell you the trurth I would rather spend my nights in a pup than a $50.00 or $200.00 a night hotel not that its the price but its the being outdoors with nature,sounds,smells and it relaxes me.

12. kozmos

kozmos New Member

Mmmmmm, sounds and smells of a hotel.....I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed either and I've stayed at some quite decent hotels. Now we haven't camped in our new PUP yet but I guarantee you that the sounds and smells will be better than most hotels (unless we have bad neighbors or too close to the potties!). But I will know what's been in my camper and what sounds are coming out of it!
    I'm hoping to replicate this picture of my dad and I with my son some day...less the boots, jeans, tank top or belly shirt!
    [​IMG]

13. campr4fn

campr4fn Member

What a great photo; no wonder you grew up a camper too...

14. Carpinteria PuP

Carpinteria PuP New Member

My rule of thumb is $100 a day. That includes gas and reservations and food.