PUP Door Security/Safety

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by niagarafam, Jan 24, 2015.

1. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Has anyone devised a way to make entry from the outside more difficult for would be perpetrators?

Like nearly all of you, we have a screen door and a solid half door. The solid half door has to stay open for us to be inside the pup as there is no way to open it from the inside. It is strapped open to the side wall when in "camp mode." The screen door offers next to nil in security. I have tried to think of ways to make the exterior latch for the half door accessible from the interior, but it would be nearly impossible due tho the sink and limited space under the sink.

Has anyone modified their interior to create a retractable barrier? Is there another type of screen door that is more secure and would store and/or install like the OE screen door?

We have not had any trouble as we use well-patrolled nice CGs. But you never know. It's just something that I would like to improve if there's a way. I no that no trailer door is all that invincible, even TT doors are not hard to jimmy. But a bit more of an impediment would be nice. Of course various forms of "peace-makers" can have a role, but that's after the fact/uninvited entry. What are "mods" that would make uninvited entry more difficult.

Thank You!
    Martin

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Since we moved to pups from ground tents, having any type of door with a latch was new to us. We just locked the door on the inside, after all, the rest of the pup is fabric, fastened with Velcro. The latch would be enough to discourage someone trying the door- whether getting the wrong camper to for more nefarious reasons. With our first pup, latching the door from the inside also took care of the fact that the dinette cushion would press the one part of the latch enough that the door would unexpectedly open.

3. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Pups are soft targets. Anything that can be entered with a packing knife and has a velcroed in door is in no need of security mods other than a .40. Haven't even considered strengthening the only portal that isn't tenting.

4. phantom_yj

phantom_yj New Member

I use my lock to discourage my kids from opening the door when I am inside changing or using the porta potty, that's about all the security it is good for. If discouraging would be thieves is your goal something with hard walls, or an occupant with fur and teeth are about the only ways to reinforce the security while camping. But I've camped for nearly all of my 40 years and never have I encountered a problem of this sort, it just doesn't happen

5. R00

R00 Active Member

I put snaps on where my canvas meets the hardwall to keep the mutt in. That's about it...

[​IMG]

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

I have a 130 db motion alarm with a key chain remote that is extremely painful when it goes off. So, if someone gets in, it won't be pleasant. Sure, they could hang around, find the alarm, smash it I suppose but statistics say, usually they don't.

7. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

If we leave for an all day hike, I close and lock the solid half door. I realize that a knife is all it takes to get in. But, the screen door opens to the outside, and is unable to open with the solid half door closed.

8. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

I like the alarm idea, HiFiDave. I realize that the tenting is soft an easily opened, but our HW sits fairly high; it would be quite a feat to enter through a bunk end without a stool or step and a ton of ruckus. The .40 is a given. We have never encountered trouble either. We just see so much falling apart around us, which is why we escape to camp. I suppose I should relax a bit more. The door just unnerves me at times. We did consider these things before going with a pup, but coming off of the ground, we viewed the pup as a way to stay closer to nature and keep the "camping feel" that we love. We knew that a TT would feel more secure, but they also feel confining to us as campers who grew up sleeping under the stars at remote beaches and alpine and high country lakes.

We also close and lock the half door when we leave camp. I must say that we have been blessed by the neighborly, honorable ways of our fellow campers here in the South. In the past, when we backpacked and tent camped out west, we had more risky, potentially threatening situations and had to be much more on guard. Down here, folks leave their grills, bikes, and supplies out in the open even when that are away from camp. We have marveled at this. It's really refreshing. My brother (in CA) tells us stories of campers and vehicles (etc) being stolen right out his and other people's driveways. I hear and see a lot of things that are not the way they were when I was a kid and a young man. I guess I've lost a fair bit of my brash courage and ignorance that spurred me to grand adventure when I was younger. I don't want to grow into a fearful old man, but I do think more about our safety, especially for my DW's. When it's all said and done, we can go so far with security concerns and preparations. It becomes a matter of faith and trust.

I was just curious. Thanks for your input.
    Martin

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I think you mite be able to make a solid door to install inside that opens in & latch to lower wall maybe.

10. goody59

goody59 Member

11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I lost my door key once, and then realized that all I had to do to enter was peel back the Velcro, reach in, and unlock the door. We still lock the door when we are away for a long period, but it really only keeps the "honest people" out. So far we have been fortunate that in all the years we camp with our pop-up we have never had a problem.

Orchid and bob barnes like this.
  12. capy235co

capy235co Member

Since you are concerned when you are IN the pup, any kind of additional barrier would be unknown to an intruder. Could be a simple web or cloth panel secure on one side and easily removable on the other side. An intruder in the dark isn't going to hang around and try to defeat it. A couple of bells sewn to it would be enough to wake you. The additional barrier across the low area also keeps small kids from wandering away.

Be cautious though. Emergency escape in case of fire is equally if not more important.

Keep your Tow Vehicle keys in convenient reach and hit the alarm button.

13. RPryor

RPryor New Member

Considering the PUP is mostly fabric if they want in they will get in. We take our value items with us and I am installing a bolt down safe this summer, but in the mean time I put an alarm on just to bring awareness to anyone attempting to get in. I installed it so I can just pull the canvas back from the velcro and turn it on. Its a noisy sucker but it also helps us sleep better at night knowing we would wake if someone opened the door.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00178HMCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Maybe I am just too trusting or stupid, or its just way safer where I camp.

I leave the HTT at the campground overnight unattended. I seldom lock it because the ends are canvas and screen. We leave gear outside on the table. Kayaks and canoes with fishing gear sitting around, coolers full of beer etc etc etc and have not had anyone ever bother anything. I guess there's always a first time for everything but I think if I have to start worrying about all of this security at campgrounds I'm selling the trailer and quitting.

15. FunkyBunch324

FunkyBunch324 New Member

We had a similar thought, but my wife’s greatest fear is when we go to our families houses and camp on the street that some one will come and pop up the sides of the canvas and grab one of the kids. So we have added grommets to the canvas near the cord and added carriage bolts with locking nuts, so unless the person has a socket or a knife to cut it they will most likely wake the dogs and us. We have also added 2 latches on the full screen door one High so kids can’t reach and one low so extra protection. We understand the pop up idea of not being “as safe” as a travel trailer with hard sides but it beats a thin piece of fabric in a tent on the ground.
    Happy Trails To You!

Orchid likes this.
  16. p

p Active Member

Security seal and tent trailer do not work together. However, luckily campgrounds don't harbor too many criminals.

Campgrounds close to towns on Saturday nights sometimes have issues with kids stealing coolers for the alcohol. But when they took ours...the cooler was left at the camp office for us to collect.

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Your wife sounds paranoid like me. That has always been something I've worried about, regardless of how improbable it may be. When our kids were growing up, we were tent campers. I barely slept. The kids were always in the middle of the tent, with adults on the sides and some sort of barrier on the other two sides. I would also put a tiny luggage lock through the holes on all three door zipper pulls, so none of them could be moved. That was more to keep younger kids from waking up disoriented, and leaving.

Now we take our grandchildren camping and I still think the same way. They mostly sleep on the dinette, which is very low, and would be impossible for anyone to reach them from the outside without a ladder or something. The only way they sleep on a bunk is with adults on either side of them.

We also have a slider lock up high on our door, like the previous generation's luggage lock, it's to prevent half-asleep kids from leaving and dogs from knocking the door open. The built-in "lock" on the door only needs a slight push to open.

Having a dog is the best protection, in my opinion. We have our dogs most places we go. There is no way anyone can get near our camper without our dogs making a scene.

I do actually sleep now, as opposed to when my own kids were young. Even though the pup is just canvas, it gives me a more secure feeling. The only really vulnerable place are the bunks, and the kids are not allowed to sleep on them alone until they are older.

I do have to say I've never experienced any real problems, even after a lifetime of camping. But camping on a street, like you describe, definitely calls for extra security measures - like a dog.

18. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I agree that there is no practical way to really secure a PUP. I did however install a 12v, switched, blinking red/blue led light near the door with an "alarm warning" decal. I turn it on when we leave the camper and it appears that there is an alarm system installed. Don't know how much it has helped, but it can't hurt, and we have had not problems.

jnc likes this.
  19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Maybe you could add some camera's with the blinking lights for a little more security.

20. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ya know, thats not a bad idea. A couple of small lights right at the door could work. As you mentioned, you have an alarm sticker there as well, and there you go, the bad guy has to call your bluff. Keep the door locked while you're gone, so they can't just quickly open and close the door to see if it really works. It might be enough to have a bad guy questioning if it's worth taking a chance.