1. PDieter

PDieter Member

I have this little vision rattling around in my head. As a chronic tinkerer it's a very common condition. Some of these end up in success some not so much and some never make it out of the back corners of my brain. I was enjoying the aussie uban escape vid UEV 490 Conqueror Australia off road trailer and the little fly again sparked this ongoing interest.

I just keep thinking that a full pup fly could be very beneficial. Camping in WA means I can split my time between rain forests and the desert. Therefore I see value in reflective shade and/or additional rain coverage. I can see a couple different ways to design this but have as yet envisioned a complete concept. Has anyone already tried this? I want something that flies independently from the bunkends in part so that you can set up and take down with the canvas and yourself protected from rain. Of course I could whip this up in an afternoon if it didn't also have to take on wind.

So many here have been modifying pups much longer than I, so maybe you've already created this; anyone?

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

That is one AWESOME pup!!! Can't imagine the weight nor the cost of that thing!!!

Now about the fly, I have seen folks with pups tie up a huge tarp over their pup and site. But were talking a 20' x 30' tarp! So, it's doable.

3. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

I believe I heard for the low low price of only $58,000 drive away... The fly is a great idea though!

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

There is someone else here on the Portal who has posted pictures of his PUP covered by a huge tarp. I can't remember who it is, though. It would be relatively easy to do in the woods but with no trees out in the desert you's have to deal with a lot of poles and guy lines -- something that would take at least two and maybe more people to set up. You'd also have to worry about the wind. Something that size could become a sail quite quickly.

I have a 12x12 tarp (four corner poles and one center) that I put over a table if I'm staying somewhere for several days. It requires two guy lines on each corner and was impossible to set up alone unless I could tie two corners to trees. Then I thought of a system that works great. I have four pieces of 3/8" rebar that are about 2' long. I pound them about a foot into the ground where I want the four corners and then put the hollow poles over them. That holds them up while I attach the tarp and guy lines.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That is one cool camper. It looks like they thought of everything. I like the way the grill stores over the spear tire.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.conqueroraustralia.com.au/

6. PDieter

PDieter Member

I found a couple on searching and sent out a PM to one. neither though would satisfy my esthetic.

And I assure you I can come up with a final design that will work well and I can set up by myself. I'm the guy this father wishes he could be:
    Blue Tarp Camper

;)
    for one thing a tarper's best friends are ratchet straps and bungee cords. the proper combination can be an architectural masterpiece. Combine this expertise with my pup's ability to carry poles and I'm 90% there.

7. mgeiger

mgeiger New Member

Tarping is an art for sure. I've been know to rig a 20x30 aka the "Tarp-ma-hall" back in my tent days. I Have yet to have my popup on a rainy trip(knock on wood), but I'll be rigging some poly for sure.

8. mfeeley

mfeeley New Member

With my old Starcraft I always carried a 20' X 30' blue tarp during possible rainy weather. Each year deer hunting, I'd throw it over the top and put a small swimming pool innertube (child size) in the middle to keep from forming duck ponds. I would then strap or tie the ends to trees, stakes etc. It worked great, and got us through some very tough rain and snow storms. The best part was that it packed up pretty small and I never put away a wet PUP. Good luck.

m

9. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

UT:
    That's a great idea about the rebar. I have a 10x10 ez-up that I take. I can put it up myself, but it's a pain. I got a nice tarp from Sportsmanguide and your idea is going to make things a lot easier. thanks.

10. yogi

yogi New Member

11. PDieter

PDieter Member

yea yogi that's not going to cut it in much of a wind.

I've got a pretty good design brewing.