pup insurance

camp dad

Active Member
Feb 10, 2012
How many of you have insurance coverage on your pup? I dont. While being towed it would be covered by the TV insurance in case of accident. As for theft, it would be real hard to steal from campground and I secure it at home. I know there is no fire insurance but my homeowners would cover it if damaged in a storm or shop fire.

GA Judy

Super Active Member
Oct 15, 2010
Not only do we have insurance (fire, theft, damage, etc.), we also added it to the AAA deluxe plan in case we have a breakdown on the road. Depends on what type of campers we all have and our ages, too, perhaps!


Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
I have a separate policy on it that provides all of the same types of coverage that I have on the truck. Sometimes people don't think about liability insurance but if the trailer came off the truck during transit and plowed into someone else there would be severe liability issues.

Camp Addict

Active Member
Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
We weren't planning on getting insurance, but having had to finance it, the bank considers it an RV and we had to. I'm glad now though, especially for the liability part.


Pony 280
Apr 15, 2010
We have damage and liability insurance through the same carrier as our auto and home policy. Long before we had a PUP, I was rear-ended by a pickup truck, and pushed into the back end of an older PUP that was, sadly, uninsured. Now that I have one, I feel even worse for the poor guy whose PUP was, most likely, a total loss.


Active Member
Jun 26, 2012
We have insurance for the pop up, it's not expensive at all. I understand that your car insurance does not cover the trailer, when you are towing it. You might want to double check that with you auto insurance carrier.


Active Member
Apr 28, 2011
State farm covers the trailer with your auto just like if you were renting . We have insurance on our pup cost less than $10 a month well worth it for replacement coverage just in case!


Active Member
Sep 27, 2010
I have it covered through Progressive and think it is $120 well spent. Camp Dad I would check with your insurance agent about storm damage coverage on it under the homeowners policy. Since it has a title I would be suprised if they would cover it under your homeowners policy. I have known people who though that their car would be covered under their homeowners policy when it was in their garage but that wasn't the case. However, different states have different insurance laws so I would definitely check it out.


5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Hawks said:
We have insurance for the pop up, it's not expensive at all. I understand that your car insurance does not cover the trailer, when you are towing it. You might want to double check that with you auto insurance carrier.

I agree, my insurance on the Pup is $140 a year. It's paying off this year as I need a new awning after the big storm it went through last week while camping. The estimate on the awning is about $700 installed, the insurance adjuster said "no problem, its covered and it won't effect the premiums because its comprehensive".


Active Member
Aug 21, 2010
I have insurance with the same company that covers my auto, and am glad I decided to insure it. We had a MAJOR hail storm tear through the area at the end of April, and it did a little damage to my roof and my AC cover; put a hole in the cover about the size of a golf ball. The adjuster came, looked at it, cut me a damage check, and that was it. It costs me $80 a year....


May 23, 2012
We have insurance too and it's about $125 a year. For us it's peace of mind knowing that we're protected in case of an accident or something else unforeseen happens :)


Active Member
Jan 19, 2011
I'll have to reconsider this soon. I paid cash for mine an have it stored off-site. It's titled and insure throug SF around $214 (I think)
a year. I'm moving at the end of the month and it will be stored in a shop on our propert that I also insured through SF, as is our house and vehicles. Would love to save a few dollars if I can.


Active Member
Feb 27, 2011
Peachtree City, GA
We paid cash for ours and insured it immediately. I suppose it could be just for peace of mind but it just seems like the right thing to do since we will have it on the road. At home it is stored in our garage.


Active Member
Jul 10, 2012
I have my home and auto insurance with Farm Bureau and added my camper before I even towed it home for the first time. It covers any problems on the road, at home, or at a campsite. Limb falls on it during a storm, no problem, $100 deductible. Best part? Only $13 every six months! I couldn't believe it was that cheap. I have to say they are a great company to deal with. We had a lot of home and auto damage after the April 2011 storm outbreak (thankfully just hail and no naders) and FB handled everything in a very fair manner.


Aug 1, 2012
Camp Dad,

Each insurance company is different but I am an isurance agent with Farm Bureau. In most cases and damage that would happen while not being towed is covered under your Homeowners insurance ONLY if you have the PUP added to your policy with an endorsement on your policy. The cost of this endorsement varies greatly depending on the value of the PUP. In my case I have seen any where from $24 per year up to $100 per year. I hope this helps.


Active Member
Jun 21, 2012
I'm thankful we had insurance. Loaned our PUP to friends and it came off the hitch on the hwy. The camper was total even though all the damage was caused by the camper hitting the back of TV. Their insurance didn't cover it. Our camper policy did.
Have it on our new to us camper also. [;)]


Active Member
Oct 29, 2011
one word. HAIL!!!!!! it can total your pup and for the cost of ins. in a year its not worth it. To many gray areas with coverage by TV and Homeowners. My insurance agent told me for what it cost for the policy and the trouble and gray areas you have to deal with to get it fixed using TV and homeowners, don't take the chance insure it and have piece of mind.