Pup obsevations while on the road

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Rusty2192, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

We just got home from a 1,200 mile round trip to my wife's family reunion in East Berlin, PA (between Gettysburg and York). The drive takes us on Interstates 64, 79, 68, and 81 through KY, WV, MD, and PA. As I always do, I kept an eye out for pups and noticed several interesting things along the way.

-passed a pup with Oregon plates in WV
    -had a pup with Arizona plates pass us near home in KY
    -passed a trailer loaded with 3 new A-Liners heading to a dealer
    -several pups on the way to or from campgrounds.

Then there was the one on the scary side. We passed one truck towing a giant fifth-wheel towing a Prius on a dolly behind the fiver. Luckily that one was heading the opposite direction. [:O]

Maybe one of these years I'll be able to convince my wife to take the pup on this trip. It would be nice to have our own beds and just park it in family's driveway for the weekend.

bob barnes likes this.
  2. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

We pulled our PUP on I-79 from the 115mm to the 79mm (WV) Thursday, then back home again Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not bad observation. When I travel, I pay attention for fellow popup'ers myself. Sadly there are far more large TT on the road than pups. Outside one or two I don't see many in my travels. Now at the campground I see more. So at least I know I'm not alone.

bob barnes likes this.
  4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

We may have passed you. We stopped for the night Thursday in Bridgeport, WV, but it was close to 10 pm by the time we got there.

5. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

We left for the campground around 10am. But Bridgeport is very close to where I live. Hope you enjoyed your travels through my neck of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

A lot of people have gone to the dark side. After seeing how nice and spacious they are inside with a pile of slideouts, I can see how people get fleeced.
    not for me. Nice or not, I prefer camping over 5 star accommodations.

7. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We count campers on the highway a car game. We always have more Class A's than anything else. Pop ups are special, though. Kids go crazy when we see one.

Earthfairies likes this.
  8. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We don't see many pups on the interstate, but when we travel on the state roads we see many more. If we have a choice, we prefer to take it slower (at 55) on the state roads, than to be going 60 in the right lane (and feeling pressure to go 65-70) on the interstate.

Mausinn likes this.
  9. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I passed 2 P'ups yesterday on I-26....And that was in only 10 miles....We do play the counting game...
    RV
    5ER
    Trailer
    Hybrid
    P'up
    And even try to pick out the car campers.....roof rack, bikes on back, and cant see out the back window

RollTideRick likes this.
  10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I was talking to a co-worker this morning about this. Over the July 4 holiday we had a campground neighbor a couple sites down that showed up in a really nice fiver with a nice new truck to tow it all. But other than set up and take down, we never saw them outdoors one time. They spent the entire weekend inside their camper.

What's the point?

Me, one of the highlights of the Pup is being able to sleep with the windows open, feeling the nighttime breeze and listing to nature, especially waking up to the birds singing in the morning. [:)C]

11. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

As a kid growing up, we had a StarCraft popup, 1975 Galaxy 8 I think. We camped with the club every month (Florida StarGators). We did the big rally every year, no matter where it was. I remember one year, we went to Canada, I wanna say Montreal maybe. Drove from Tampa to Canada in three days in our little convoy of about 15 campers. It was a blast!

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The wife and I love sleeping in the pup because the wind blows throw it! It's like sleeping outside. Than again we are rebuilding a TT for winter camping!

hometownhiker likes this.
  13. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

EXACTLY! I have a co-worker who is like you and I and another who stays inside all weekend and watches movies....wtf???

How about the breeze blowing through your pup with all the glorious forest smells and the rain drops on the canvas?? sounds of the leaves blowing in the breeze? the owls and loons calling? Cant hear that with the ac or fan going

Doood, bob barnes and bluegrassfan76 like this.
  14. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

Each time we drive anywhere we are watching for the PUp people. Yes many more large Rv on the road but the excitement for us is in our pop up camper. Each Friday I drive 70 miles one way to see my Mother and just in that short drive time in North Dakota I count as few as two Pups and as many as nine last week (three in a row may have been going together). Each camper has their preference for where what and how they camp ours just happens to be frugal and we enjoy every camping trip. Enjoy your summer Pup'rs

bob barnes likes this.
  15. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

I not only keep a lookout for popups when traveling, I can't help but check out their towing geometry with a critical eye ... is the tongue too high, too low or just right? Is the TV's tail down from too much weight and needs a WDH? Just a little game I play to keep the boredom at bay on those long interstate drives ... [LOL]

shuang2 and rich2 like this.
  16. R00

R00 Active Member

You don't see many recreational tandem tows on the road anymore...that's a unicorn.

17. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Why is camping in a TT or HTT not "camping"?
    As far as I'm concerned if you are in a campground, you're camping, but I don't think anyone has the right to dictate what's camping and what isn't.
    To each his own.

As for the people that never come out many of them might be full timers.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The number of pups we see on the road seems to vary by season and location. This year, we saw a lot more on some trips, and in some campgrounds, than in the past. And yes, some towing set-ups, pup or otherwise, are downright scary. I was happy to get around one camper with a bike rack bouncing madly, I didn't want to be in the target area when it let go.
    Memorial Day week at North Rim of Grand Canyon had the largest % of small TTs, such as ours and even smaller, that we remember. There was also a good number of pups. The thing that really made us notice that is Grand Canyon is one of those places that gets a large number of rental RVs of all sizes. (From the Juicy vans with the bed on the roof and the like to huge Cruise America RVs.)
    On our two trips in November, both to Arizona (South Rim GCNP & Kartchner SP), it was clear that the snowbirds had started to migrate. Lots of RVs from fairly small to huge, with toads, cargo boxes, etc. Many of these folks will be living in it for the winter. At Kartchner, over Thanksgiving weekend, there were a couple of pups, small TTs like ours, and our friends' Casita, and huge RVs. Some seemed to be AZ people out for a family weekend, but there were some snowbirds too.
    We are still camping, we stay in many of the same places; having the TT means I can still camp. Our friends went directly from ground tent to Casita, while we went through two pups on the way to the Retro. (Doing that helped a lot in the choice of a TT when we needed to move to that form of camping.) I admit it was nice to retreat to the TTs on the last night of the weekend, as the temperature plummeted and the winds cranked up. It was not a restful night in the TT, I know the pup would have been even worse, with probably even less sleep. (We took a Thanksgiving trip in the first pup 6 years ago, when it turned out to be very cold, thanks to a winter storm that took a much more southern track than predicted - teens-20s - and windy - that time we went home early.)

19. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

As long as the truck was sized right to pull tandem, there should be no issue with the rig pulling a prius tandem behind the 5er [2C]

20. R00

R00 Active Member

Depends on the state. Many require special licensing and TV/Trailer requirements can be strict. Some don't allow it at all.

bob barnes likes this.