PUP rides a tad high in the saddle

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by LennyO, Mar 24, 2011.

1. LennyO

LennyO New Member

I have a 2009 Suburban, just bought a 2007 Bayside and am using a Reese 400 hitch set to max drop. The trailer is not level, it rides higher in the front. This is with the Suburban empty and trailer not packed with anything special except RVQ and misc stuff (hoses etc). Should I be concerned about this? When I drove it home on the freeway at 60 mph, no sway was observed and tracking was very good. Was very windy out (20 mph with gusts) and was passed by several semis.

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Is it within an inch high?

Have you already inverted the shank?

3. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Yes shank is in the inverted position. Not sure how high it is, but you can definitely see if without using a level. It's probably about 10 degrees.

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

When you get loaded up for a trip it could very well level out ... you'll just have to see.

If I had my rathers ... i'd rather the tongue be a tad low then the other way around.

5. NetDad

NetDad New Member

If your only like an inch off, no biggie. If your a whole lot more than that, you run the risk of too little constant weight on the hitch. If it is already teeter tottering, then it would take less of a bump for the PUP to pull up on the hitch.

Just saw you posted 10 degrees. Is the hitch connection heavy already or lite? If the hitch is already a heavy style, then no big deal. You could also counteract this by putting stuff inside the PUP forward heavy.

Is the back bumper of the PUP getting close to ground? Thats the other thing to worry about (but you probably thought about that already).

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

You really need to calibrate it on a level surface with the TV and PUP loaded for travel. If it's not real close to level then get something with the proper drop.

One problem in running with the front high is that you catch a lot of air under the PUP and that causes drag which can lower your mileage.

7. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Will check it when we load it up. I think it should be OK. Not sure if Reese makes a longer drop shank for the 400. We have a pretty heavy hitch. It doesn't look to be riding light and 10 degrees isn't much. Could have also been the parking lot at the dealership - hard to say for sure.

8. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

How much of a drop is there on the pin 4"-6' they do sell 8"-10"-12" drop pins for tall tv. towing level is the way to go.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Those 350 and 400 Reese setup were designed for a low riding TV like a minivan.
    I tried to get a longer shank for my 350 when I upgraded to a Ford expedition for a TV and the longer shank was not available from reese.
    I'm not sure about their 400, but call or send reese an email, they should be able to tell you.
    And yes, you do want the trailer level when towing.
    That suburban should have a decent suspension, maybe you do not need the wdh and could just use a drop shank with that bayside.

10. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Yeah it came with the WDH. We are going to camp next weekend with it and load it up and see what it looks like. Otherwise I think I will opt to swap out to a sufficient drop shank and add anti-sway bars.

11. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Reese doesn't make a longer shank to the 400 WDH. What about using a drop hitch receiver, say 2" drop? Can I connect the WDH to that? I think 2" will get me where I need to be. The Bayside sits at 17", Suburban at 23", and the WDH has a 2-1/2" drop.

12. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Spoke to the folks at etrailer and they seem to think by tilting the ball and shortening the chain from the spring bar that it should get pretty close. Will try that today. Thanks again to everyone for your replies.