PUP ROOFING? ALUMINUM, FIBERGLASS or ABS?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jul 16, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I did try to put this on an existing thread, but I am not sure anyone saw it?

My next project is to figure out HOW to care for my ROOF.

I haven't been able to be sure which roof I have..

IS it "ABS", fiberglass skin roof, or aluminum?

For me at least the "fleetwood/coleman" site is a bit confusing..

Can anyone tell from the picture which ROOF I have?

And could you tell me how I could seal it around the seams?

I am assuming it is the "aluminum" right? but it does have "seams" so I am confused?? duh me. I just want to make sure... thank you

THANK YOU for all suggestions..

FLEETWOOD/COLEMAN SITE:

All roofs feature durable aluminum exterior skins, folded along all four sides to provide greater side wall strength >>>>without additional seams. Competitors' brittle fiberglass skinned roofs require separate sidewalls and additional seams potentially prone to failure due to top latch forces.

20180716_082551.jpg

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

What year is your popup? I'm going with aluminum. My old Jayco had a roof almost identical to that. My Jayco though had an issue with that center seam. Had to be extremely diligent on keeping the caulking up on that.

79venture and landon6062 like this.
  3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Jmkay...thank you for the reply......it is a 2006 Fleetwood Niagara.. I think it is aluminum too...just not sure....so you used claim on the seams? I know I want to do maintainence in mine but I wasn't sure if caulk was the right thing to use. Wouldnt cranking be a problem with caulk? Is aluminum a less desirable roof? It seems like people are having a lot of trouble with the ABS roof?

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

May be wrong but aluminum is one piece/no seams. I've got a 2004 Starcraft with alum. roof. with no seams. Barring roof penetrations from tree limbs, awning pole punctures or meteorites, it appears to be lifetime. The Achilles Heal though with any PUP roof are penetrations from a/c, fans or racks as well as caulking/sealing at edges at roof to wall intersections.

landon6062 likes this.
  5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Yes exactly..there shouldn't be a " seam"..that is why I am confused..according to the Coleman site..it appears the aluminum doesn't have seams. BUT it appears that mine does? Unless that is suppose to be just a cosmetic trim on it? I don't really understand. ..ugg

6. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I have a 2010 Niagara, it has a one piece aluminum roof. It does not look like your roof at all. You definitely have a center seam
    What does it feel like?
    Are you sure it is a 2006? Look on the data tag for a manufacture date, it could be an earlier (or later) model year.
    Fleetwood (the manufacturer of the Colemans) had multiple roofs in the 2000-2011 era. ABS, then Alumitite, I think they had a Filon roof, then the one piece aluminum.
    Read this for Coleman roof info

landon6062 likes this.
  7. Dan from Troup

My roof feels pebbly like texture, same as my walls. I can take my knuckles and rap on walls and roof and sounds like metal.

landon6062 likes this.
  8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have a 2008 built in 2007--it's fiberglass/Filon with no middle seam.

landon6062 likes this.
  9. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I was going to say the same thing DAN.. the walls and the top LOOK and FEEL the same...sounds like metal?? but just not sure..

So does that mean it is not "ABS"..for sure??

I guess the real question for me is.. Do you take care of the seams the same way.. IF it were "aluminum or vinyl".. ??

10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Dingit.. I do believe they made some changes in 2007 on the FLeetwood.. electric crank.. etc and roof..

This is for sure a 2006, the serial number on the pup matches the title which says 2006..

just ODD.. but as long as I can take care of the "seals" the same way.. I really wouldn't matter to me..

11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI McFLYif,

Certain it is a 2006 fleetwood.. the serial number on the pup is the same on the title and it says 2006...

It feels like "aluminum", but then I am not certain what VINYL would feel like.. "sorry"..

quote: Filon roof

I will have to look up FILON ROOF..

I am asking because I THINK?? I have a "small" leak somewhere on the seam.... causing some BUBBLING....." I am assuming this is coming from the seam area?

Just trying to finish up some last minute repairs before camping...

DO I just caulk it on top? I know NOT to use silicone.

thanks donna

20180715_093354.jpg

12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI McFLYif,

Certain it is a 2006 fleetwood.. the serial number on the pup is the same on the title and it says 2006...

It feels like "aluminum", but then I am not certain what VINYL would feel like.. "sorry"..

quote: Filon roof

I will have to look up FILON ROOF..

I am asking because I THINK?? I have a "small" leak somewhere on the seam.... causing some BUBBLING....." I am assuming this is coming from the seam area?

Just trying to finish up some last minute repairs before camping...

DO I just caulk it on top? I heard NOT to use silicone.

thanks donna

View attachment 41976

13. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Caulk it with Dicor, it doesn't matter what the roof composition is.

ABS roofs have fairly pronounced rounded corners all around, and they did not make ABS after about June of 2003. My first camper (2003.5 -built July 2003, making it a 2003.5 model) Coleman Carmel had the first go round of Alumitite. It had like a faint cross-hatch type pattern on it, and the two roof rails hiding the seams, but you could easily tell it was metal. Your roof does not look like either ABS, Alumitite, OR the 1 piece aluminum. I am 95% certain it is a Filon roof. Probably used as a stopgap measure between the Alumitite and aluminum.

It is also possible that the roof was replaced as a warranty claim (both ABS and Alumitite were plagued with problems) by the PO before Fleetwood went belly up, which would explain the differences between what the brochure says and what you have.

landon6062 likes this.
  14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thank you..McFLYFI and all...... got it ... "Caulk it with Dicor" !!!

thanks for the info too.. I guess that certainly could explain the difference. I do hope that is a good thing to have the "filon roof". I've read very bad things about the ABS roof... I know for its age, it looks pretty good.

donna

15. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

oh goodness.. I am having internet problems..

Sorry about the additional post..

Dan from Troup likes this.
  16. Dan from Troup

Not you, site has been slow all morning. Did a triple dip on one of my postings. Think I read about someone here using eternabond tape at the seam strip? Might research here first before ordering your caulk. http://www.eternabond.com

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    landon6062 likes this.
  17. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Except the HW models never used either of those roof. The regular aluminum roof has been used for long time on other models and doesn't have known problems.

According to the 2006 brochure you should have a single seam aluminum roof. Bets are off if it has been replaced.

Maybe you have a left-over 2005 roof, the 2005 brochure listed it as an Insulated aluminum roof.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    landon6062 likes this.
  18. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Mstrbill.. Thank you for finding the information.. Guess I was looking at the wrong brochure.. [EEK]

I do believe you are correct..... it appears to be the "single seam aluminum roof"...

it is also insulated with Styrofoam, like a cooler. I will caulk it with "dicor"

Thanks everyone...

20180719_161031.jpg

19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

OH thanks DAN.. some how I missed this post.. I will certainly get some of that to keep on hand.. : )