PUP Searching....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Denise Kline, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Denise Kline

Denise Kline New Member

Hello. My name is Denise, I’m married, 55, with two adult children and I live in Downtown Orlando! (Yes, I have parking with an awning cover.) I camped as a child and it became part of me. When my kids were little I started the tradition over. We had tents, a Winnebago, and a Road Trek, then back to tents. My dream is to travel in a big rig and work remote but I have obstacles. I am a caretaker for mom and adult son with autism. So for now until I can see that dream come true I want to try a PUP to travel Florida’s beaches, parks and springs. I’m currently searching for a PUP and doing all the research. My main concern is the set-up work as I get older because I will travel alone some. Husband isn’t as adventurous and he travels for work. Any advice!? So happy to be among the campers again!!
    Denise from Orlando

1380ken and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Hello and welcome from Hampshire UK[GBR].Good luck finding a pup, as for getting older you should be fine with a pup, I met a guy last year who is 83 and still going strong and enjoying camping.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I travel alone a lot and yes, set up can get hard and every body has strength and weakness in different areas. When I first bought my popup i did not have the upper body strength needed to do a full complete setup myself. So in order to get it out I had to do some working out to get the needed strength in my arms/fingers. However now I'm able to open everything up myself with little problem. So when you look into getting a popup I suggest to try to set it up right there before you buy if possible. That way you will have a better idea where your strength and weakness is in set up.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Welcome from Pittsburgh. My daughter lives in downtown Orlando. She Went to UCF now Advent university. I get down south a few times a year. Will be going back in February. Camped before at Moss park. But want to do more. Who knows maybe run into each other at some point

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

My input is different from many others.. Learn about your tow vehicle first.. find out the tow rating and how it gets affected by the number of people and stuff loading into and on to it... then find a pup with a GVWR less then the vehicles tow rating.. Note that this is just a start to understanding what you can tow..

Sjm9911, kitphantom and MOSCDENC like this.
  8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from Dukes Fl. I hope you find the PUP that will fit your needs and wants, age really has no difference, if you are comfy. I will be 77 shortly and still love the solitude and peace while camping. Good Luck in the search

Pommom70 likes this.
  10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

12. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC New Member

Just wanted to reinforce what Snow said. What we wanted and what we could tow were two different things and that was before having bought the tow vehicle. So knowing what we would want to tow we shopped for a tow vehicle and then got our pop up. I know that is not a luxury everyone has, but knowing what you can have really helps narrow it down. As for the strength to setup my 9 and 11 year olds could crank it up if necessary. One of them doing by themselves usually poop out about 1/2 way through the 70 cranks, but with a breather they could do it all. The only thing I don't think they could do themselves is the door and that is simply a height issue.

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

X3 on what snow said. What type of tow vechicle do you have. ? Could help narrow the search down

Pommom70 likes this.
  14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Hi Denise. Welcome to the forum from a former Floridian.