PUP Security: Are there real safety concerns? Are unsafe situations common?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by niagarafam, Mar 30, 2014.

1. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We're just curious: When campers write about the "security" or the lack of in PUPs, are there a lot of folks with bad experiences with break-ins or other criminal activity? Or is it just the feeling of being safer in a TT in the rare case of a criminal event? We have been tent campers for decades, and we've never had a single issue. But are folks finding more unsafe situations these days?
    M&K

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I don't really feel more or less safer these days as I camp than in the two plus decades we've been ground and pup camping. It partly depends on location, there are a few places that we would not return to these days, such as Organ Pipe NM in AZ. I'm sure there are other areas which experience more issues, too. Often it is a matter of accessibility from nearby cities and towns. Even on some of the long backpacking trails, such as the AT, there are places close to roads which have experiences issue.

I try to use common sense and remain aware of our surroundings. BTW, I do go solo camping at times, or am base camping while DH is backpacking. In some ways, we're more concerned with leaving the vehicle at some trail heads than safety in campgrounds. [There are some that are known for break-ins and vandalism, using a beater car and leaving nothing in it is suggested, though how that works on a longer trip is unclear, we don't usually have an extra vehicle on a trip.]

I have too many places to explore to stay home and hide.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=34228.0

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=74636.0

3. capy235co

capy235co Member

Never had a problem and feel more safe in the pup than most other places. Best advice I can give is don't leave valuables in view and just be aware of your neighbors.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

We've had polls and discussions on this. In general, most campers here have said that they've never had a problem. The few that have had problems reported them as small, like stealing something from a cooler, or even taking the cooler. Don't leave valuable things in the PUP -- take them with you when you go out for the day. Keep them locked in the TV out of sight.

Part of the issue is where one camps. I think there is more chance of theft when camping in a high traffic area because more people see your rig and stuff. Out in the middle of the boondocks almost no one sees you because almost no one is around. Another factor is how close to a town the CG may be. Locals like to patrol convenient CGs and trailheads for theft opportunities.

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

We cave camped (tent and pup) for about 25 years as a married with kids family. I tent camped with my folks and sister when I was a kid for years and years. I can honestly say that we/I have never had a single problem in all those years. I don't think that things are any worse now than before, in fact, I don't think things have ever been all that bad. Be smart, keep your wits about you, and above all, enjoy yourself.

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

My 1st camping trip that I can recall was around 1968 and was attacked by a dog.....
    since then I have had other issues.....biggest problem has been beer taken from coolers..
    so don't camp around dogs and teenagers and you should be fine.... [:D]

7. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

8. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We just avoid high crime areas and have never had and don't expect an issue.

For example, I would never stay at a campground in New Orleans; but don't have a problem staying in our parks within an our drive there. So, if I knew someone wanting to visit New Orleans with their camper (PUP, TT, or any other), I would recommend staying outside of the city and driving in when you want to do stuff there.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Even though I have never had a problem with theft in my 30 years of tent camping, I believe it is more of an issue today than in years past. The volume of people camping and the types of campers has changed over the years. In the old days only outdoors type people went camping, ex boy scouts ect. Camping equipment was more expensive before everything was made in china. Today a lot of city people camp.

10. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I was a Sheriffs Deputy for 30 years. 20 some odd was working in the mountains of Colorado. I never read any reports of break-ins to any campers. However numerous items would disapear from camp sites. The most thing stolen was coolers left out in the open at night. A lot of kids have been caught taking coolers. They steal them for the beer and pop. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

11. turborich

turborich Active Member

I feel safer in my pop up at a camp site up in the mountains versus staying at a Motel 6. No bad experiences here but I've got something for them just in case. 99% of campers are good honest folks. I'd be more nervous about an animal. [2C]

12. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Have never had an issue while tent camping with family as a kid, tent camping as a single woman, or with friends/family or with PUP camping. When I did camp as a single woman, I did have my dog who was very protective of me, and another means of protection if someone got past my dog.

For security purposes, DH brings along "Wade Boggs", his autographed Wade Boggs bat. DH played Little League in Florida on an opposing team, and pitched to Wade Boggs.

13. dcbain

dcbain New Member

While things are a little more cramped on this side of the lake, I've never heard of any serious concerns about security. I've camped in tents, caravans and now our popup for fifty years and the only theft I've ever suffered was at Aviemore, in Scotland. How that local cat managed to eat most of a pound of bacon is beyond me!

14. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Not up here. I do lock valuables in the car, or take with us, but the rest is left wide open. No sense locking a tent that can be undone in a pinch.

15. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I only trust people when I don't have anything to steal

16. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Locks are for honest people. If some scumbag really wants it, its gonna happen. I dint subscribe to the "what if" paranoia

17. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

The first camping experience I remember was 1958 with my Mom and Dad. My wife and family have been backpacking and camping since 1973 and haven't had any problems with two legged critters. Four legged critters are another story. Situational awareness is the answer to potential problems. Avoid problem areas and be aware of what is going on around you. However, I will defend my clan. [ALPU] [PUT]

18. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

These kind of crimes are at nearly historic lows. Unfortunately, we hear about every single crime on TV and the internet, so it makes the world feel less safe.

19. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The only time I lock the PUP when I'm away is when there are a lot of small kids. I don't know what it is about the rarer PUPs up here, but small kids see them and figure they should just go in. There's something about a hard sided TT that tells them that is a place they should not go.

Quite honestly, we all know PUPs don't offer any real security against animal or man... and in 20 years of tent camping and 2 years of PUP camping, I've only been concerned about animals.

20. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I believe most campground crimes are crimes of convenience. For example, teenagers are good at opening your cooler to check for beer or open your unlocked car door to check for cigarettes. The best way to combat this is to lock your doors and not lay anything out in the open that you will miss if it is gone when you get back.