Pup Security

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Kamikazz, May 20, 2016.

1. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

I am 75 and have been camping since I was a wee lad, back then stealing someone's camping equipment was thought of like stealing a horse in the old west. Things have changed, in 15 years of full time RVing we have had a couple of neighbor's trailers broken into, and a few years ago it seemed like every cooler left outside went missing, kids looking for beer I guess. And I heard of an elderly couple being murdered in their RV while camping near Flagstaff, AZ several years ago, so we all need to be careful, I carry a gun for protection, and when ever we leave the popup the gun, camera, and laptop, if we have it with us, always come with us. We don't really worry about the other stuff in the pup, and I put a Reese lock on the coupler so that someone can't just hook up the trailer and drive away. Security at the campground is something to think about, but don't let the worry spoil your camping.

2. ByramTra

ByramTra Member

Never had anything stolen while camping, other than by coons (those dirty rascals, they must have a nose better than a bloodhound. What a mess they can make...) I generally stay in national, state or local parks. I generally don't leave my rig where in the middle of nowhere unattended. Also remember "Out of sight, out of mind." (don't leave anything expensive out/ visible.) For me because I've always been poor my gear is less desirable than my neighbors which might have helped also. Just always step back and look at the bigger picture before leaving.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Can it happen, does it happen but will it happen? More likely to win the lotto in UT (inside joke). Years ago they had a few from CO come over and decide to rob campers; they were caught. And my entire time in Moab, where there are quite a few campgrounds and dispersed areas to camp, that was the only incident I know of.
    But in many areas, it is not raccoons you have to worry about, it is coyotes. I mistakenly left a small bag of dog biscuits on the picnic table at Hatch Point campground (tent camping) and woke up to a commotion of a couple coyotes tearing the bag apart and eating the biscuits.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I second what everyone else said. The only stuff stolen was from the 4 legged kind. Squirrels and raccoons sure keep me on my toes to ensure nothing is left out if I ever want to see it again. I even left my trailer open overnight at a campground while I did an extended trip with my tent. I just told the camp host my plan. Had no problems. I keep the valuables in my car and when I put the camper in storage the battery comes with me.

5. Doctorphate

Doctorphate Member

I've camped in provincial and federal parts over 20 years and only once was something stolen. Was a bike and we left for the day with it leaning against the trailer. Since then I put stuff away in the pup or in a tent and close the windows so you cant see. Besides that I take no security measures when camping.

99% of the people ive come across have been polite and courteous, but that just may be because I don't camp outside of Canada.

6. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I've been camping all of my life and have only heard of 2 instances-
    Kids coming through the woods and rifling through unlocked cars, and a friend in Canada had his tent broken into and adult beverages stolen.
    I do lock my htt when away from the campsite, but I really don't have anything valuable in there anyway.

7. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I lock the door, on the pup, when we go hiking for the day. The interior door is impossible to open when the exterior half door is closed and locked. The only options for entry is to cut a large hole in the canvas or pull up bunkers canvas. That would attract attention and most thieves are lazy.