PUP Storage Advice Request

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by JusCampin, Feb 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JusCampin

JusCampin New Member

Hi

Thanks for all the useful advice for new buyers on this site from the "old salts".

I am thinking of getting a PUP but don't have space to store it at home and have a few questions.

How much of an obstacle to buying a PUP was a lack of home storage, can you recommend categories of offsite storage options to investigate, how important is it to have covered storage and how much should I be prepared to pay for storage annually?

Thanks

2. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

We have ours at an outside site at public storage. Outside parking is $53 per month. Once the garage gets cleared out, AJ will be coming home.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota.

I am lucky enough to have enough room to store my pup in the yard during the summer and at a friend's airplane hangar in the winter. He does not charge me but I give him some cash every spring when I pick it up. He charges other people $250 to $350 for unheated indoor winter storage, depending on length of the item stored. He stores anything from boats & cars to full sized motor homes. Doing the math, that would be $50-$70 per month for five months of storage.

4. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

My local mini storage charged 50 a month for an outdoor space. Did not seem like a good deal to me. I modified my garage to make my pup fit.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I paying $79 per month for a outdoor space at a Extra Space Storage.

I'm in Southeastern PA and I don't cover the camper but I do put some Lynx Leveler blocks under the tongue jack and then crank that up to get a good slop on the camper. Then most snow accumulation slide off. I do have covers on all the tires however.
    2018-11-24 11.02.49.jpg

PS, Great place to store the kayak for the Winter as well.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it depends on location. We live in Greater Kansas City. When we bought our Pup in 2015 prices for storage were all over the map -- anywhere from $60 to $100. In addition to the self storage places, there are a couple RV dealers in the area that offered storage, but one place only offered access during business hours and the other was charged $3 a foot with a $50 minimum for an open, unsecured lot behind the dealership.

With the help of a fellow portal member I eventually found a construction storage lot for $25 or $30 a month. There was a fence around the lot, but a paving company also used the lot and sometimes neglected to lock the gate.

After a few months, I saw an ad on Craigslist for an enclosed boat storage for $50 a month. For me it was a win-win. It was 60 miles from the house, but less than 10 from the two lakes where we like to camp. At the time, I had a small fishing boat and was able fit it and the camper in the same space. The space had it's own door with my lock.

We've been there ever since and this spring he raised the price for the first time to$55. [:)C]

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

resized camper pix.jpg I live in the city and my HOA prevents campers in the neighborhood. Pain in the you know what if you ask me. Being in the city all the storage areas are also very expensive. So had to start looking at other avenues. Found a few campgrounds that offer storage, some regional parks especially ones near the water offer storage usually for boats but they welcome campers as well . Currently I found some fairgrounds that set aside a large plot of land for storage of campers etc. I pay about $75.00 a month to store my camper in a field but at least it's gated. I have access 24/7 and am allowed to do whatever I want to the small spot as long as it isn't permanent and won't damage nearby campers. (Some storage facilitys may not allow you to open the camper or work on it so do your research). My storage lot is a 40 min drive from me so if I need to do repairs etc I have to bring everything with me. Real pain if it rains while your camping and need to find time to air out the camper. I work long hours at work so the only time I can really air the camper out is the following weekend and just pray it's nice. On camping trips I often just pack my car with what I need and the camper has it's own gear. So weekend trips I just pack food and clothes and go. Because I still also tent camp I have gear that is used for both that I have to remember to tote back and forth. I dream of the day I could move and find a place that allows me to park the camper home but in the meantime this is the best I can do. The picture is of my camper at my storage spot. Ignore the parking job I had a neighbor on the left that had a huge 35' camper, he had to angle his camper to fit in the spot and his back corner encroached into my spot.
    It prevented me from safely backing in normally. So I'm a bit angled.

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Made the mistake of living somewhere I wasn't allowed to park anything other than a registered insured automobile. That will never happen again! Let's just say one can be legally annoying enough that people will overlook minor infractions.[}:)]

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

A you can see, prices can vary a lot even in the same area for the type of storage. Go with the price that you can accept and don't worry if it's the best price.

Indoor/outdoor - to me, the biggest concern will be having a place to dry out the canvas. An indoor spot that isn't big enough to open it up is less desirable than an open spot with an overhang that fits it opened.

No matter which you choose, PLEASE check on your pup regularly. Don't park it in October and then come back in April to take it out. Check it at minimum once a month and definitely after the first hard rain and the first snow - checks for leaks, theft, vandalism, etc. Better to find those out early.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I saw one in a parking garage recently, so maybe ask if its privatly owned. Also i would check apartment buildings, many have extra spots to rent, especially if its garaged. Just other Avenues to explore.

11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

The first year I parked it at a mini storage. On the outskirts of town, about half an hour away. Cost was $25/month for outdoor storage but not exactly a good space, they were just cramming campers and boats around the outsider perimeter fence, so nothing was marked and my space usually shrank each time I took the pup out. Definitely no room to setup. It was gated, but that doesn't necessarily equal more security as there were so many units in there hundreds of people had access. I had a formal one-year lease with a month to month option after that. It was a corporation with M-F office hours 8-5.

The second year until last year I found a farm on the outskirts of town where the owner was renting space in what used to be his cattle pen, it was only about 10 minutes from my house. Nice guy, the owner was hte one I dealt with and he'd take my call anytime if I needed something. He charged me $30/month and it was much better, more space and better defined. The entire lot wasn't gated, but it was "off the beaten" path and I never had an issue there. The agreement was a verbal month to month, very informal (but then again, this is Iowa and not a major metro area). Unfortunately he sold off his acreage for a new subdivision so I lost that spot. For now I'm keeping it at work, but will likely have to find a new spot sometime next year.

So to me price varies widely upon where you're at and the amenities offered. Indoor storage isn't important to me as some of the other factors. Things I look for -
    a) who's renting the spot, how easy are they to get a hold of and work with if there are issues or you need something? Does somebody with authority answer the phone or is it an answering service that's going to pass along a message in the next 3 days?
    b) How convenient is it for you - to get there, to do work there, to maneuver around? Are units packed in so tight you're going to pull your hair out each time trying to back in?
    c) Is the security good enough? Shady characters hanging around all day? Well lit? Any cameras? Sometimes that's better than a gate system. Where is the lot and what's the surrounding neighborhood look like? A non-gated lot in a commercial zone in a nicer part of town is probably more secure than a gated lot in the slums.
    d) Is the lot upkept, weeds taken care of, buildings in good repair? Goes back to the security thing, is somebody around keeping an eye on things?
    e) And finally, is the cost reasonable for what you're getting?

12. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Wow, reading all these I never realized how blessed I was where I lived and being retired from the military. In the summer, we have a gravel pad in the front yard our TT sits on. At 34', I can't get it through the gate and in the back yard like I could the PUP, so it winters at one of the lots on base. I think we pay $55/mo and it is located on a secure base, so it's fairly safe. I only pay for the months I store it there too.

I never worried about covered storage.

13. Toedtoes

I park both the clipper and FnR at home. I have a long "RV driveway" - long enough to fit a 30 ft RV with a 20 ft vehicle in front of it. I park the clipper at the back, then the durango in front of it. Next to the durango in front of the house, I have a 2nd vehicle width to the driveway - I park the FnR there. Year round, no rules against it, no complaints by the neighbors.

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My Motor Home and TT sit in my yard by the shop, MH is covered as I do not use it, the TT sits outside with tire covers installed. I would never live where I could not park anything I want outside. But to answer you question Different areas have different prices so to say that so much a month should rent a parking spot would not even come close to being the correct price. Check with friends or relatives and maybe park it in their yard and this would probably give you a safe place to park the unit. Good Luck and happy Camping

15. JusCampin

JusCampin New Member

Thank you very much for your detailed, information packed replies. Much food for thought! Many things I had never considered.

16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The thing that nudged me into pup ownership was the fact I found an (outdoor) storage lot for $12 a month. Then less than 2 years in we got notice that they were selling the property and we would need to vacate as soon as the sale went through.

Several years later, the sale still hasn't gone through. But looking around for other options has shown the price to store elsewhere is *much* higher... so much so that I might install a gravel pad next to our garage as it would pay for itself in a couple years.

But for now I'll keep storing at the current place.

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I store at the house in a field, covered. I have not priced other storage lots, but one close to me has a banner out that has "6 month for $39". This lot is outside storage with a locked gate. Sounds like a deal compared to other post here.

18. Toedtoes

Except that after the 6 months is up they raise it to $80 per month.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I pay $886 annually at storage near my work so I can pick up the popup on Friday after work. I live 48 miles away from work. Most camping places are near work so I store popup near work .

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I can't believe some of these prices... I'm looking at maybe $400 a year once I get kicked out of my current place, and I considered that hugely expensive. The price I'm paying now is downright insane (in a good way) evidently.