PUP tire pressure

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by WintonFam4, May 31, 2009.

1. WintonFam4

WintonFam4 John 14:6

My tires indicate a maximum psi of 50lbs which seems high to me. Any recommendations on adequate tire pressuer for my Viking pop up (gvw 2020). Thank you.

2. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Hi there & Welcome to the Portal

On the tires.... If the sidewall says 50 cold that is where you need to be. If you lower the pressure the tires will build heat. if it gets too low it will cause a failure....

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Ray is right on the money........... I think I have read of tire pressures in the ~80 lb range too!

4. SteveK364

SteveK364 New Member

My 12-inch Viking tires require 90 psi.

5. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

My old tires called for 60psi(load range B). I went with load range C when I replaced them, they call for 90psi. I just took a 400 mile round trip, and they rode well. I thought they might bounce the camper all over the road, but they didn't. They're not radials made for a car. They're bias tires made for trailers. They need the pressure they specify.

6. Frodo

Frodo New Member

I like to go 5psi below the sidewall number. That allows for some heating as I drive. And yes, trailer tires need high pressures.

7. daveyJ213

daveyJ213 New Member

When I read the sidewalls of the tires on our new Saratoga I was shocked to see that the pressure said 65 PSI. I also noticed that the tires are specific for a trailers only, not a car.

I would go by what the tire manufacturer says.

8. Dr.Hook

Dr.Hook New Member

I do the same. Tire sidewall on the Duro's says 65psi, I inflate to 60. No issues to date, even at sustained speeds of 65-70MPH, and the tires do not get hot, just warm.

9. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi All,

The last few posts suggested running a few pounds under the sidewall specification, as they heat up and increase pressure when running down the road. The pressure listed on the tire is the COLD pressure rating.....they are engineered to deal with the increased pressure when they warm up.

That 5 pound difference isn't as important in a 15" 'standard' tire/rim, but can be a big difference in the smaller tires many PUPs run on.

Crank them up the rated pressure and you will minimize the risk of blowouts, poor wear, and poor handling!

Later!

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Mine calls for 80 pounds

11. my3kids

my3kids New Member

What daveyj213 said. I also have a Fleetwood Saratoga (2007) and the Load Stars say 65psi so I put 65psi in them including the spare. For a heavy one like the Saratoga there isn't a lot of margin left over once you load the trailer with water and stuff. I wish the Saratoga came with 14s so I can use higher capacity tires. Currently we can only use one size only (ST185/80-D13) and they have to be load range D. Trailer with stuff is likely over 3100lbs maybe higher. 13inch D range tires have a max load of 1660lbs each. Subtract the tongue weight (about 300+lbs) and there isn't much margin left.

Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga
    08 Nissan Armada

12. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

Apply common sense. The tire sdewall tells you what to do, so do it. You go crusing down the highway, probably over loaded with less than nominal air pressure you will have an issue. Your PUP will wiggle and wobble, your TV with your dumb butt in it will do the same and you could kill yourself and/or someone else.