Pup Trailer Lock, theft

Jul 4, 2012
I bought a lock for my pup's trailer to prevent theft. The only time the lock is not on is when it's in use or folded in my garage. Does anyone else use a lock or am more paranoid? I wouldn't think pup theft is too common, but you never know.

jobenoit

May 23, 2012
DH puts a yellow hitch lock on ours when it's in our driveway or stored in the off season. Better safe than sorry.

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
I presume you (OP) are speaking about a coupler lock rather than a door lock. Yes, I have one and put it on the trailer when it's in the storage yard and at the campsite. A determined, experienced thief could defeat the lock but most thieves are opportunists and go for the the easiest score. I feel a bit better when it's on there.

FL_Bill

I'm cooking something yummy!
Aug 3, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida
I do not have a lock and mine, and I live in the city. Anyone could steel it. However I have thought about it. One day I fear I will pull in and not notice right away the driveway was a little easier to park in.
[?:~{] [?:~{]

[:O] [:O]

FL Bill

NJGuy

Super Active Member
Apr 20, 2010
Unstable_Tripod said:
I presume you (OP) are speaking about a coupler lock rather than a door lock. Yes, I have one and put it on the trailer when it's in the storage yard and at the campsite. A determined, experienced thief could defeat the lock but most thieves are opportunists and go for the the easiest score. I feel a bit better when it's on there.

Ditto.

Gtunks

May 20, 2012
I keep mine locked. You never know. Anything can be replaced, but I would hate to see all my hard work making her mine just disappear.....

hometownhiker

Oct 17, 2009
Franklin, NC
I bought one and hardly ever use it. My pup stays in my garage when not in use and I don't worry about it at the CG. I stayed at a hotel this summer and dropped the pup in the parking lot before going to town and should have locked it up, but mistakenly thought I left the coupler lock at home. The motel manager said she would keep and eye on it for me. The next day I discovered that I indeed did have the lock with me. Duh!

SteveM_CT

Jun 12, 2012
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean that there's NOT someone out there looking to steal your trailer.

10 seconds of effort locking the PUP is better than hours wrangling with the insurance company.

I haven't gotten a lock yet (it's only in my back yard right now), but I will get one and use it.

Yes, you can't stop them from stealing yours - you can only make all the others look more attractive. That's the whole point of the Club steering wheel lock.

Steve

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
I lock mine always...I'm paranoid too! Even tho my pup is kept in my garage, with the garage door bolted & stabs down ( crank handle hidden too ) I still keep the coupler lock on it! It kills me if we have to stop on route to eat leaving the TV & pup at the bottom of the parking lot, I have to leave my seat a few times just to check it's still there!!

smoreking

Sep 15, 2009
Small Town, Middle TN
I lock mine because I'm afraid the insurance company wouldn't pay on a theft claim if I don't try to prevent it. Maybe it couldn't be proven whether I locked or not but I wouldn't want to lie about it.

Jul 4, 2012
That's right, I'm talking about the coupler lock. The lock I have is a rod that goes through the hitch coupler so it can't be opened and won't accept a hitch ball. I've heard of people grinding down hitch balls though so they still fit in a locked coupler. I think everyone should have some insurance on their trailer. At least Comprehensive Coverage so it's covered for theft, acts of nature, and the like.

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
Central WI
jonkquil said:
I lock mine always...I'm paranoid too! It kills me if we have to stop on route to eat leaving the TV & pup at the bottom of the parking lot, I have to leave my seat a few times just to check it's still there!!

You could use an additional lock/locks on your chains too! [8D]

IVBENS

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2011
Unstable_Tripod said:

same here

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
Camp-N-Nuts said:
You could use an additional lock/locks on your chains too! [8D]

Chain locks? yes I want some! however never heard of them...please explain?? [RTM]

BarbaraFaith

Super Active Member
Oct 15, 2011
Our PUP sits out in our driveway, off our alley, behind a privacy fence, so we cannot see it from our house. I would hope that our dog would alert us if someone was in the driveway. We live in a relatively quite/safe/crimefree neighborhood, but I do worry about someone stealing her. We padlock the hitch and also have a padlock on the chains. (I read on a previous post that even if the hitch is locked, it can be stolen just by hooking up the chains). We are well insured. But it would be a bummer to have it stolen.

smoreking

Sep 15, 2009
Small Town, Middle TN
I've seen people use those steel cable lock systems, running the cable through one of the holes in a wheel and through their springs. If someone hooked up to it (including the owner) without taking it off it would stop the trailer, but may also tear something up. I use a lock on the coupler and if my pup gets stolen I want them to make a clean get-a-way. I'd rather have insurance money than an almost stolen pup with a warped frame or something.

Campzoo

Jul 24, 2012
We lock ours with a master lock that installs in the coupler where the ball goes and also a pad lock on the lever that locks the pup to the hitch.