Pup's AC and Generators question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jerrad, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Jerrad

Jerrad New Member

Hello there from Grant's Pass Oregon. My family and I are proud owners of a '97 Coleman Sunridge PUP, I've done some upgrades to this great trailer with the most involved being replacing the stock PVC roof with a differant material that I found online. Cant remember the name at present it was a liquid material that I had to roll on. Extremely effective and I highly recommend. If your interested just let me know and I'll get you the specs.
    Our two kids and my wife and I have mostly driven to local campgrounds on the Oregon coast and around Southern Oregon and have never really been in a situation where we were "off grid" or there weren't hookups available. Which leads me to my first question, Does anyone use small portable generators for they're PUP? and if so how do they fare? and secondly, do you recommend installing a roof AC unit? Ours doesnt have one installed currently but with a long trip were planning to southern california desert next month were considering it. Does anyone have a similar PUP that theyve installed or had installed a rooftop AC unit? I've heard of some folks using portable AC units and I'm not necessarily opposed to this but I'm mostly wondering if my PUP would structurally accommodate a rooftop unit. Thanks for any tips and advice you can give. Blessings to all.
    -Jerrad

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Personally, if your roof has the necessary support for a rooftop AC I would go with that. The roof top units though cost about $500 and if you get it professionally installed can cost about $1000. However it does a better job I feel and you don't have to worry about water drainage or counter space. Generator can be used with popups and if you get one big enough can power the AC. The problem though I find is many campgrounds have certain hours a generator can be used and when they have to be turned off. One place I went you only got two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening to use the generator. So you will have to check the rules out carefully.

campfire Joe, Raycfe and Jerrad like this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Personally, I wouldn't spend $1000 to install AC on a 22 year old pup. My pup does not have AC, but here in the Northland, there have only been a couple times when I wished I had it. I will purchase a portable AC unit if I ever get so desperate.

I use a 2000 watt inverter generator to charge batteries. I don't usually camp in campgrounds so I don't have to worry about generator restrictions (although I do respect others and only run the genny in the late morning and early afternoon). On the rare occasions when I do camp in campgrounds, I use hookups.

Jerrad likes this.
  4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Oklahoma. Adding the rooftop AC is easy and well worth it in oppressive heat. Of course you have to have power for it, either hookups or a generator. Most places have restrictions on genny usage so, check where you are going.

Jerrad likes this.
  5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Unless your '97 Sunridge's roof has been replaced it will have an ABS Strata roof. Having installed A/C on this style of roof myself I would recommend that if your roof has not yet failed that you not tempt fate by installing A/C on the roof. If that roof fails you'll then be faced with either scrapping the trailer or somehow rebuilding it, which BTW many here on the forum have done.

6. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Campgrounds should rethink the generator restrictions. Today's generators are so quiet all you hear is a gentle hum.

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Not when you are surrounded by them. I think they should rethink their restrictions- 2 hrs in the late morning and 2 hours in the mid afternoon sounds about right.
    IMHO, most campers with generators have no idea what their electricity usage/needs are, so they run them extensively and needlessly. On one trip, we were literally surrounded by generators. The 30 ft Class A right behind us ran his generator from 8 am to 10 pm, every day. The exhaust from it was pointed right at my bunk. One night I had to knock on their door at 10:30 to ask them to adhere to the quiet hour generator restriction. The 30 ft travel trainer across from us ran his 4k construction generator from about 5 o'clock right up to 10 o'clock. I'm sure they couldn't hear it- they put it behind their trailer on a 30 ft cord, pointed right at us.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Grant you today's generators are quiet but I'm all for the restrictions. If I want to listen to a lawnmower running 24/7 I wouldn't be camping. I live in the city I hear that loud of a noise 365 days a year. I camp just to get away from all the noise. Amazing how quiet everything is when you don't have all that noise pollution. Gives my head and ears a break. Now I'm open for a campground to have say one whole loop generator use no restrictions a good tree buffer and the rest of the loops no generator use. Best of both worlds.

neighbormike likes this.
  9. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I should rethink my rethink post perhaps.

10. GreyFox

Having owned 2 Honda EU2000i gensets I'd disagree as well. Generators are man made mechanical devices that do generate noise that is especially unnatural in a campground. They also stink of exhaust smell. If you want to hear a truly quiet genset setup you might want to watch these 2 videos which illustrate just how noisy one these so-called "quiet" inverter gensets can be BUT also how one can dramatically improve the situation by building a quiet box and running it inside a truck's closed cargo compartment. Problem is, not many genset owners would put in anywhere near the effort I did to solve this noise issue.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=UDRlUFNlQXEwaGZfbTBTQ21HYS0xYmdpR3U2TmNB

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=UDRlUFNlQXEwaGZfbTBTQ21HYS0xYmdpR3U2TmNB

Jerrad and David Blackwell like this.
  11. Jerrad

Jerrad New Member

Thanks Greyfox, yes I've replaced the PVC roof on my sunridge. I removed the old "shell" and applied a resin type material which I had to roll on like paint. It's incredible.
    I was really trying to get insight into the sunridge and whether it has the structural reinforcement to accommodate a rooftop AC. I've seems where some PUPS do have this.

12. GreyFox

There's nothing inside an ABS roof but rigid foam. If you do decide to go ahead and install A/C on your resurrected ABS roof you'll find 4 plastic buttons in the ceiling that when removed expose 4 small holes that represent the corners of a standard 14" vent hole over which you would install the A/C. No further structural reinforcement was deemed necessary for an ABS roof BUT if you do cut into the roof you'd be well advised to follow Fleetwood's recommendation for cutting the hole.

[​IMG]

That said, when I installed A/C on our then brand new 2000 Santa Fe I decided to instead cut two much smaller holes - one for intake, one for exhaust.

[​IMG]

A series of pics illustrating my ABS roof A/C installation starts here ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

Click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

Jerrad likes this.
  13. Jerrad

Jerrad New Member

Awesome. This is precisely the type of answer I was hoping for thanks alot GreyFox

14. Jerrad

Jerrad New Member

I realized after looking at this again that I miss spoke when I said I'd replaced the "roof". What I should have said was that I had removed the old OE ABS cover part of the roof that was cracking and failing and applied a resin material over the exposed foam instead. But you seem to know exactly what I meant anyway. Thanks for your insight, I looked through your pics and holy cow you've done some really awesome mod's. Well done.

15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

If you removed the outer ABS cover and replaced it with what sounds like a roll on bed liner type of product, will the roof still be strong enough to support the A/C? I would think the roof is considered a unit with the foam sandwiched between the two rigid ABS layers, with the top layer helping to distribute the weight. Without it would the A/C end up deforming some of that foam, causing leaks or other issues? Might need to investigate further, as I don't know the answer myself.

Jerrad likes this.
  17. Jerrad

Jerrad New Member

That's actually a really good point. After hearing from everyone on here I've decided to hold off on the rooftop AC. Thanks for the feedback I REALLY do appreciate it. Probably saved me $$$ amd frustration. Glad I joined

18. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

Jerrad likes this.
  19. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

My ABS roof has a big support bar installed from the factory. I believe it was designed for AC installation, but they started adding them to all of them when the roofs started failing at a frightening rate. Even with that support bar I'm mildly terrified to add the rooftop AC. Now that we beach camp, we really need AC. I'm more inclined to sell the camper and by a hybrid than risk destroying what's left of this one.

Jerrad likes this.
  20. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.