Pups on the road

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Raycfe, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I drove about 10 hours to Eastern Oregon and back last weekend.
    Saw about 20 Pups. Everything from a tiny old brown Coleman to a fairly large Jumpin' Jack towed by a Land Cruiser from Alberta.
    Saw a couple A-Liners and a couple Fleetwood Evolutions too.
    It seems that Alberta is the place to travel from. Many rigs of all types from up there.

2. kreich

kreich Member

We see more and more of them traveling from Lubbock to Amarillo all the time. Those bigger units are expensive. Mainly your snow birds in them.

3. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

Luckily, I see a lot of them in my neck of the woods [:D]. Doesn't hurt that there's a major tourist/camp ground attraction nearby (meremec SP...and Meremac Caverns) I see at least 15 or more on a 1 hour trip to my folks house from my home in St. Louis.

4. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Saw 17 on my commute today. Probably because I drive right past MIS and it's race weekend. I am taking mine the other direction--to the Michigan Fiber Fest. (No, not that kind. Think spinning wheels and looms, not Metamucil.)

5. lovetocamp2010

lovetocamp2010 New Member

All for $7,695.00 and he is more than willing to take my 1997 Coleman Westlake in on trade the only thing is I'm not wanting the extra payment right now.

Go for it - you only live once!!!!

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We saw a handful of popups on our recent western trip. Also a few teardrops and other small trailers like Casitas and Trilliums.

And in the Kaibab National Forest, we were blown away by seeing a-frame campers (two Chalets and an Aliner) outnumbering a solitary canvas pup!

But TTs and 5ers and Class As ruled the day...

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I saw no PUPs in the campground where I stayed in the North Cascades, nor in any of the other CGs I toured.

8. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

We just got back from an 11 day trip and we were the only pup only once during that time. Then again, we needed power hook-up for the DW CPAP and there were plenty of other cgs around that were in the NFs or NP/SP that had pups while we were at that particular cg. That cg did have a retro Scotty and Casita and pop top so we weren't the smallest unit.

We saw a fair number of pups at all but the scrungiest "RV Parks" or those catering to fishing folk. Those usually had truck campers or TTs of some kind.

9. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

We drive a portion of I-75 to work, church, shopping, etc. I feel like I've seen more PUPs this summer than usual. Perhaps they are more affordable than TT's. Of course, this being Florida, TT's and RV's will outnumber almost anything. Especially as we get closer to winter and the migration of the "snow birds"! [:)C]

10. Unstable_Tripod

n6nvr, depending on the type of CPAP your wife has, it may be possible to run it directly off the trailer battery. My wife has a Remstar and that's what we do.

11. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Usually I see slightly more TTs and 5ers than PUPs, but not by much. We don't often get many MHs around northern Wisconsin.

One of my favorite times to drive home (I drive south to get home on a main "entrance road" to Wisconsin's northwoods) is on a Thursday or Friday night before a long summer weekend. I get to watch all the "southerners" from Wisconsin and Illinois cruising along right next to each other, while I've got open road all around me! We usually go camping these weekends too, but wait until later on Friday or on Saturday morning to head out. [8D] Ahh, the convenience of living way up yonder!

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

We always see plenty of p'ups on the road here and quite a few when we're out boondocking....when we're in a CG, we tend to see more TTs, 5ers, and MHs. Just stayed at a little forest service CG back in mid August and there was only 1 other p'up.

We were using the CG as a base for exploring the area for future boondocking opportunities. We saw at least a dozen p'ups up forest road 70 boondocking off of NM 126 from Cuba, NM.

13. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Julian, apples right? what a pretty place to live, I enjoyed visiting there when I lived in CA. :)

14. Don_Bev1972

Don_Bev1972 You're never too old to have a happy childhood!

On our recent 4 week trip from TN to the Four Corners area, we made it a point to look for PUPs and TTs. It was generally slim picking for PUPs. Outnumbered by at least 5-1 on most days. Our best spotting day was Labor Day (I guess everyone was on the way home from holiday outings). We saw 28 that day, more than we saw the rest of the trip. We saw lots of MHs, 5ers, and TTs, and a lot more rentals than I believed possible: CruiseAmerica was the top seen, as well as RoadBear and ElMonte. Even campgrounds we were in had few PUPs.

15. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Generally during the summer, we see 2-4 pups within a given 2 hour drive. Otherwise they are next to invisible here. Now on the other hand TT, 5W and RVs rule the road in the summer months... Of course with our summer heat and humidity, everyone wants their precious home amenities like cold air conditioning, God forbid they actually sweat for a few minutes when camping [LOL]

16. chiefbowes

chiefbowes Member

We make it kind of a game to count any time we are out. We count on the road and in yards and driveways

17. uploon

uploon Member

Thought that with the heading "Pups on the road" it was going to be a song similar to "Pants on the ground"

I know, I know...just couldn't resist :)

Cheers, JC

18. Eanddrice

Eanddrice Member

[LOL] I always point out other pup's on the road to my DW. We went from Atlanta to Hilton Head, SC a coupla weeks ago and only saw 4 pup"s the whole trip [:(]

19. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I see a lot of pups on the highway headed towards Yellowstone. I always stop if a fellow pupper needs some help.

20. Unstable_Tripod

I haven't seen very many at all over the past three years except at Yellowstone. There was a huge number of them there.