putting window ac unit in a 1998 coleman westlake pop up????

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by rover69, Jan 9, 2010.

1. rover69

rover69 New Member

due to the famous coleman ABS roof sagging due to roof top AC. I am wanting to install a window unit AC unit in my 1998 coleman westlake. (IS THIS POSSIBLE) I also want to perform this application so I can use camper at home in lieu of dealing with 30 Amp issues. Please help!!!! Thanks

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I am not familiar enough with pup models to tell you if it is possible in yours. However, I can say that our small [6' box, one bed end] Palomino Shetland had a home a/c the original owner had added. What he did was to cut a hole in the front wall, move the LP tank cradle forward on the tongue, and put some angle iron on to make a support for the a/c. I assume it had worked well enough, it looked like it had been in there for at least several years, the camper was at least 10 years old when we bought it.

We took it out immediately, we almost always camp where there are no hookups, so it would have been dead weight. We are finally going to move the LP tank back to where it should be, it is very easy to scrape knuckles on it when we crank the wheel.

3. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

Here is a thread that was posted earlier this year that you might find helpful.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=28553.msg188761#msg188761

Good luck.

4. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

Here is my install.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=28075.msg153882#msg153882

5. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Can you handle the weight of that kind of A/C unit? When we started out, we didn't think too much about the weight in the pup, but have since "traded" out as much as we could, finding lighter weight items in an effort to get our over weight issues under control.