Q: Self-Stick Vinyl Install

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by KampFish, Jul 16, 2019.

1. KampFish

KampFish New Member

Hello, I am contemplating using self-stick vinyl tiles in my pop-up. However, I live in a cold climate (chicago) and I'm worried it may not hold up to the the swinging temperatures of winter and summer. Manufacturer's state not to use additional adhesive. Any advise? Thanks!

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I used the 12x12 peel and stick tiles from home depot. They were easy to install. But have shifted around now with large gaps between some squares. I think it was the extreme heat that softens the glue, combined with the flex of the camper floor. I won't use them again.

Raycfe and KampFish like this.
  3. KampFish

KampFish New Member

Thanks Matt, what did you use instead?

4. Matt Benoit

I haven't redone the floors yet. Instead, we picked up 4 small bathroom rugs from bed bath and beyond. The rugs are much more comfortable to walk on, and cover almost every visible issue with the peel and stick floor. Ideally, I would use a vinyl flooring that snaps together like laminate. I've used the LifeProof flooring from home depot and it's very nice... And waterproof!

jmkay1 likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We had the same problem. Cover them with rugs that we could remove and shake out.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  6. Matt Benoit

And wash! Lol

7. Elaine Rowe

Elaine Rowe New Member

I'm in Michigan - put the self stick tiles in my pup 3 years ago and they have never moved :) Camper stays outside during the winter too! We didn't use any additional adhesive and I didn't grout them in either, which you can do with special grout. We didn't bother, lol.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just to add a good point about self stick tiles is they can easily be removed for repairs and then just a few new replacements would be needed.

9. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Several have used peel and stick planks with great success. Just be sure the floor is absolutely clean and degreaser prior to placing the new planks.

10. jon davenport

jon davenport New Member

If you take the time to make a paper template and cut it out of 1 piece of vinyl floor the results will make you happy and it is just as cheep or more so than peel and stick.