Quality Cooler vs Refer?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by lynnmarie0123, Jul 1, 2020 at 1:24 AM.

1. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Hi! Im new here!

so ive got a Bazillion questions to ask and this is one of them!

I just brought my new used pup home today. it has a nice Dometic refrigerator however my main interest is having ice and frozen goods. This one hasnt a freezer. Im vegan. I dont eat meat or dairy so no need to cool that stuff. Mostly i make protein smoothies and need ice for those.

My camping trips are only going to be 2 dayers. I think I want to remove my Dometic refrigerator (and get more storage space) then buy a very good cooler, maybe a YETI; make a reflectix cover for it for extra insulation and just go that route. I could keep cooler on a bunk since its only me. Or in colder weather in my tow vehicle. From all I have read on here, refrigerators are just a huge pain. Plus my tow vehicle is only an SUV so not rated for lots of weight.

i understand these high end high performance coolers can keep ice for several days at least. Thats all i want. If anyone has experience with these coolers id love to hear‼️ Thank you kind people!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 2:19 PM
  2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

There are cheaper options than Yeti. Look at Ozark Trail copies, or Aldi when they sell theirs. Many of the competitors get high marks, and I don’t see the need to spend the coin on a Yeti. Besides - start talking yeti prices and you are already pretty close to a clone of an ARB or Engel 12V compressor frdige/freezer, which would be way better than any cooler.

I personally would keep the fridge if it is working. They do quite fine for basic needs, and with some simple mods (do a search) they do even better. Then get a decent cooler to handle your frozen stuff. Plan your meals to take advantage of thaw rates. I use my fridge on every trip, take a 2nd hybrid 12V/110V fridge for longer trips, and a 12V cooler for drinks when I need it.

lynnmarie0123 and Old ackpacker like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Ain't no way I'd remove a good working RV fridge.

kcsa75, lynnmarie0123 and Steveo4090 like this.
  4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

RTIC is what you want......great stuff. Check the site every week and you'll hit a sale. They have sold the 65 in the past for $149.

nectarsis and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I still use my fridge, but also still use a cooler. A fridge is a great way to keep drinks. That way someone isn’t constantly opening a cooler Causing it to lose its cool air. I also don’t want some of my food frozen, so put that in a fridge. I couldn’t lift a yeti cooler with ice/food not to mention cost. I found a good 5 Day Coleman cooler that with the combination of reflectix etc I can squeeze 5 days Out of if not more assuming I don’t constantly open it a lot. The key is to stay out of a cooler as much as possible the more you open it the more Warm air gets in and more ice melts.

lynnmarie0123 and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

When I had the popup, I didn't use the fridge on weekends. It took too long to.cool down and I couldn't preload it before we left without popping up the camper. I did use it on longer trips and it worked fine. They are pretty reliable in my opinion with a little maintenance. The biggest problem you have is spiders building a nest in the burner. That is usually a pretty quick fix.

kcsa75 and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have always used the reefer even without a freezer and a decent cooler but as stated there are cheaper options than a yeti, for trips of a couple of days a standard Coleman cooler would work fine, I made a cover from reflectix and use it, I also put a hasp and padlock on it due to the racoons helping themselves. I carried a dorm reefer for a long time and used it which worked fine, cooled quickly I am sure you can use the extra money saved for other needed camping items. Good luck and keep on camping

lynnmarie0123 likes this.
  8. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 New Member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:08 PM
  9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Keep the fridge, it's good for things you don't want to get soggy, such as greens and other veggies, +condiments, lunch meets, cheese. If you don't use it as a fridge you can store dry foods etc. in it to make them less attractive and accessible to vermin.

If you don't prechill and preload the fridge you'll need a cooler for travel. We like having ice also but you don't need an expensive cooler for 2 days. Many coolers have little or no insulation in the lid. Before you buy the cooler tap on the lid and make sure you get a solid thunk, same sound as on the sides. Try to open it with the lid latched, if the lid moves it won't seal well.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:05 PM
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Yes - keep the fridge. You can still use it for storage even if you don't power it on. I keep cold drinks in my fridge and a few other food items.

You will like a good cooler too. I bought a RTIC 65 a few years ago and it very useful. In Yellowstone, I didn't need to add ice for the entire week. In Utah last summer, I did need to add some ice but the temp's were well into the 100's. I bring 2 coolers with me - one for frozen foods and one for refrigerated things. I have added a layer of reflectix to the inside of both and that works wonders.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Colman extream cooler. Like 40 $ . Works well. Its not a yeti, but islts also way cheaper. Look up cooler reviews on you tube , lots have hands on stuff to help you decide.

kcsa75 and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

13. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Removing it would be an undertaking, and would hurt the resale value of the trailer. I would leave it as others have said. For us before leaving on a trip I but 2 frozen 2-liter bottles in the refrigerator to precool it. Without turning it on it makes an ok cooler (not great but ok).

14. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I took out my fridge because it was too small to hold much. A Coleman Marine extreme will hold ice for 5 days and hold a lot more stuff. Yeti's are overpriced and way too heavy. Unless you are worried that a bear is going to break into your cooler, I don't find the extra price and weight worth it. Just my 2 cents after 20 U.S. national parks and 15 Canadian national parks in my camper.

15. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

if its a fabric sided PUP, in bear country your cooler , or at least its contents, will likely be required to be stored in on-site steel bear boxes.

which gets interesting when you/we swap out a Dometic Frig for a portable cooler.

16. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

GREAT TIP THANKS!!!‼️

17. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

This sounds a perfect plan to me. Im not camping in high altitudes so i do need ice and insulation.

18. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Nope not worried about Bears !! Lol and your advice is sooooo appteciated ✊‼️⛺️Not to mention the weight of it. My tow vehicle is not rated for alot of weight.

19. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

W
    WOW ‼️ Something else to think about. Lots to ponder here...

20. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Thank you for this link⛺️⛺️⛺️⛺️⛺️

nectarsis likes this.