Quality PUP Roof Rack

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Jack.Ford, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Jack.Ford

Jack.Ford New Member

Can anyone give me a few names of "Quality" Roof Racks that I might want to consider for my Viking 2490 PUP? I have a very light 14" aluminum boat (without motor) I wish to carry. Anyone have experience in the hardware mounting? Tips? Thanks in advance!

Jack and Rachael

2. battr23

battr23 New Member

I mounted a set of sportrack roof rails on my flagstaff a few years back and love it. Bought from etrailer.com. I keep a roof basket and bike carriers on mine so they're mounted somewhat close together. You can space them as far from each other as you need. Just check the rack specs for weight capacity and roof width to be sure it works out before you buy. I can't see why you couldn't strap a boat on top of this if it isn't super heavy. You do need to drill into the side rails of the roof to mount the rails, so the mounting location is permanent. Just be sure to work out the spacing you like ahead of time.
    http://www.sportrack.com/a21020/

[​IMG]

3. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

I made a 2x3 wood "I beam" added a 8" x 12" board to spread out the weight and rase it up a bit on the ends. worked great!
    URL=http://s875.photobucket.com/user/signmoney/media/camper_zps59dee08c.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

4. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

$signmoney, that picture is classic "proud of my DYI project" [LOL] [:D] [:D] [:D] Love it!

Got any closeups??? WE are trying to figure out how to carry 3 bikes on the pup roof and not keen on screwing into it for a rack. We have no rails on the roof either.

5. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

6. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

7. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

No that's not me! Its my son in law being smart as we were getting hooked up to leave. No close ups. I get a chance I will take a picture and post it. I made one for bikes years ago, same base but a 2x4 on each side going straight up then 1 across. This held the bikes up right then we just strapped them all together (5 of them) and then strapped the bundle to the pup.

8. altozwei

altozwei New Member

I just bought one of those dual hitches from E-trailer. I bought a Curt model, with the upper receiver offset from the lower. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but we plan on using it this weekend for a trip to Arkansas. We will be using it with our Chevy Astro and C/F Tacoma.

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

If you are looking for a quality system, in my opinion, Thule is hands-down the clear winner for quality and options. It is also one of the most expensive routes but you get what you pay for.

Yakima is another great brand.