Question about charger/converters

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Evan Gaffney, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Evan Gaffney

Evan Gaffney Member

I'm planning a new electrical system for my camper. We don't often camp at sites with hookups, but neither are we typically boondocking in the middle of nowhere. My foundation is a good 100ah sealed battery. It'll power some led lighting, a few USB ports for charging goodies, a modest stereo, and maybe a couple of small fans. I don't think I'm going to both with an inverter. I'll have some outlets and a charger/converter system for when I do have a hook-up at the site (and a 100w solar setup for when I don't), but otherwise I'm not going crazy... which brings me to my question.

The industry standard for RV's seems to be a $200+ all-in-one converter/charger, but for what I need this seems excessive. Could I not accomplish the same thing with a decent battery charger and a 12v power supply? Would these two things work?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HVRQFX...olid=3K3IRWBYR0N32&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBTRN2...olid=3K3IRWBYR0N32&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Holes in my thinking? Better/cheaper suggestions?

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

You don't need both. It makes it more difficult to try make the two work together. Just run off the battery and run the charger when you have shore power. I'd go with a little more charger, 10 amps instead of 4. If your battery does get depleted it will recharge much faster with the larger charger.

Oh yeah, make sure sure the LEDs are good from 10 to 16 volts.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019