Question about DEC Campgrounds & Entry Fees

Discussion in 'New York' started by M-88, Sep 23, 2015.

1. M-88

M-88 Member

Not sure if this is the right forum but ...

I have some state parks that have campgrounds that are ~100 miles of me (Syracuse). I know at some point in the fall they "close" for the season, but are left ungated. Some people still camp but with no water,etc.

Does anyone know when they "close" and admission is free?

I would like to check out these parks to get an idea as to whether or not I would like to camp there.

My favorite place to go camping is Eighth Lake state park near Raquette Lake. Ideally, I could find something with similar spacing and privacy on the campsites.

Thanks!

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I'm sure you'll get a few answers from those who know the NY State Parks policies but to be honest, I think you hit one of those questions where it's better to go right to the source and email the NY State Parks Dept. (I say email so you have written proof)

In these time when States are hurting for money, policies can change quickly and what was open last November is closed this November. It would be a shame to drive 100 miles only to find a park is shut down completely.

3. M-88

M-88 Member

Heard back from the DEC - once they are closed for the season, they are barricaded but we are free to walk around. Sounds good to me!

4. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Keep in mind state park campgrounds are completely different from DEC campgrounds.

5. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Can't speak specifically to the NY situation, so probably shouldn't. But I will mention that the State Parks here in the West each have different operating conditions; some are open year around and others only seasonally. We mostly boondock in the National Forest areas, but have two NFS campgrounds we like to hit "off-season". These are like you describe, no services but some sites are available. They are generally open Memorial Day through Labor Day, but some can be accessed outside those parameters.