Question about grilling next to camper

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by zinger60, Oct 9, 2010.

1. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

I just saw an ad for an RVQ on Craigslist. I know some people like these and other grills that they can set up right against the camper. I would think that even though there is a lid on them, that alot of smoke would be scenting up the canvas or maybe even grease splashing up on it. I have my stove that I attach to my camper and cook on but there is no smoke like there would be for a grill. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I never understood the RVQ's. They cost alot more than a conventional BBQ and like you said, the smoke would become a PIA. Plus, has anyone out here melted the siding on their house with their regular BBQ? My bro did. That has me worried, what would it do to canvas or the plastic window?

3. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I try to make all my purchases dual purpose or better. So my coleman roadtrip is used at home and camping.

When we remodeled we opted for no stove inside. Even if nothing burns, I can only imagine the guck that'd accumulate on the canvas over years.
    And outside I cook downwind, and near the edge of my canopy, not under it.

4. sehuff903

sehuff903 1985 Palomino MXL

I'm one of those people that never cook or eat in or near the pup. Just a safety issue to not make the pup attractive to animals looking for a meal. We keep our meals under a canopy and store the food at night in the TV.

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

What sehuff said.

6. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

I was wondering about the same thing. We've used our stove attached to the outside of the PUP every camping trip. But, our NTU hybrid came with an RVQ grill to attach to the side of it. I took it out, and it's being stored in the garage. We'll either sell it in next spring's yard sale, or pass it on to the next owner of the hybrid. I've been dropping lots of hints about the Roadtrip grill. I think it would make an excellent Christmas gift..... [;)]

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

With our outings the vast majority of cooking is outside; only coffee, boiling water or maybe heating something like soup is done inside. And when done outside most generally that's at the C/G picnic table, however when there's no C/G picnic table have used a little folding 2' X 3' aluminum table which is set-up under the awning ... do not use the "indoor/outdoor" stove, that remains inside PERIOD. The outside cooking is with a Coleman two burner propane camp stove, which performs so much better than the other.

Here's the outside cook stove set-up with no C/G picnic table.

[​IMG]

8. golfusa99

golfusa99 New Member

Agree with "flyfisherman" 100% on this one. We used the "indoor/outdoor" stove once outdoors and we will never use it that way again. Made the mistake of cooking bacon and what a mess it made. Chalked it up as a lesson learned :).

jeff

9. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

We use our RVQ most every campout. We haven't noticed a problem (but we don't camp in bear country). We often put our cast iron on the RVQ to cook breakfast (meat, eggs pancakes) and grill meat for supper, also. Our stove does not move outside, so we have no experience with that. We set up our old camp stove under the edge of the awning if we plan to cook outside.

10. carolsaucier

carolsaucier just the 2 of us

We learned on our first trip with NTU pup that the outdoor stove was too small to hold more than 1 pot at a time, so we continue to use our coleman stove sitting on c/g table. I have never used the indoor stove except as countertop.

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we setup, the inside stove comes outside and mounts to the rail on the door and hangs there. The only thing we cook on it is coffee and cook some veggies in a pot. We have a separate Coleman 2 burner stove that is further away from the pup. We do a lot of messy cooking on that thing and it's farther away from the pup so we do not worry about it. When we BBQ we are doing that over an open fire in the fire pit which is much further away and no worry's about smells or splatter!

By the way, we purchased a Coleman Roadtrip LX (the blue one) and it works nice! much more working space then the small 2 burner Coleman stove.

12. RonBaby

RonBaby New Member

When camping we cook with coleman stove outside, grill, dutch ovens and also use our RVQ. We have also put our cast iron griddle or pans on the RVQ to cook. Mainly we use the RVQ for cooking hot dogs, sausage, Lean meats like steak or turkey burgers. Nothing that will produce a whole lot of dripping fat. In addition we use the RVQ to re-heat food the next day while it is wrapped in foil. The other times where it came in handy is when camping in the rain. We were able to use it under the awning to cook our food.