Question about how sound proof a popup is.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by woodbass, Mar 8, 2007.

1. woodbass

woodbass New Member

I'm thinking of getting either a popup tent trailer or hard a-frame type.Here in southern ca the camp grounds can get noisy and I was wondering about how much sound gets in.It seems like a popup would be a bit better than a tent .
    Is there any sound proofing after market products out there ?
    thanks
    Bill

2. DonJacki

DonJacki New Member

we had to keep telling our kids last season . if you are loud in the camper everyone can hear you it isnt home like the walls in the house . lol they got the hint..

were we went last yr was nice very quiet at night and not to rowdy.

a rainy weekend camping is better than a rainy weekend with the inlaws.

3. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

I think an A-Liner or Chalet a-frame would be substantially quieter, approaching the sound levels of a TT. I looked at both before buying my PUP but found I needed the space of a PUP as well as the much better price of the PUP. I do like the idea of the "30 second setup" of the a-frames. I've done it myself, it is sooo easy.

--------------------
    Dana & Claudia
    The Happy Campers
    '05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    '04 Palomino Pony 280

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We have a fan running at night for some white noise.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

It’s a tent. You can hear everything and everyone can hear you.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

A frame would be quieter. especially if windows were double glazed (not so in our 2003 Scout)

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

This post is from 2007...

nhlakes, kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

It was woodbass's only post on the Portal, also. Last seen here was March 11, 2007.

9. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Lol. That's pulling up an old thread.

But for anyone searching that question, a pup is a tent on wheels.

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It happens, I found myself reading very old threads to kill the boredom during the shutdowns last year and may have commented of a couple of them.
    The noise is one of the things I like and dislike about a PUP. I like falling asleep to the sounds of owls, crickets, frogs, and whippoorwills, but not traffic, rude people, and jets roaring over (Myrtle Beach SP).

11. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

i am always confused when someone mentions a thread being old. i get information from threads of all ages. answering old threads is good, not bad. many of us have old pups and issues that were brought up a decade ago will still have relevance. even if the OP has been long gone, there are 10 newbies that will have the same question. just a thought. :)

Deb Posey and Snow like this.
  12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Generally most of us here tend to write answers to help people. We chuckle when we realize the person we're trying to help had the problem years and years ago. Often times the answers are "off" when the age is noticed. For example asking have you tried doing X versus if anyone else has this problem try X.

Different forums have different norms about when to start new topics versus calling up an old one.

Indiobravo and Toedtoes like this.
  13. Toedtoes

There's no problem with a thread being old. And I think it's great when someone goes to the trouble to search old threads to find an answer to their problem or to post a new solution to an old problem.

I just think when an old post is brought forth, that it's good to know it's X years old, especially when it's brought forth for entertainment posting rather than to actually help someone. At least that way, I can word it so I'm not responding to a long gone ghost.

Indiobravo likes this.
  14. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

i totally get that. it's just your answers don't just help that person. they help all people. i've answered questions from folks that i know aren't there. i do it because i know that someone else will search and can benefit from the answer. I do it because i've searched for help here, stumbled on ancient threads which lead me to helpful threads.
    I understand about the norms too :-/

Pommom70 and Jimbow like this.
  15. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I'm glad here no one gets too feisty either way. One website I use to visit was horrible for attacking anyone who started a new thread if there was an existing one. Then turn around and ridicule someone for responding to an old thread.

Indiobravo likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

I know that website. They attacked and ridiculed everyone for everything...

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Funny , last year or so someone on the disboards asked a question about a commercial on a 10 year old thread, the OP came back on and the question had to do with what ever happened to the kid in the comercial, and the OP was that kid in the commercial. And had some puctures to prove it. Sounds like an urban legend but i belived it. What i am getting at, is if you dont ask you will never know.

Jimbow and neighbormike like this.
  18. Toedtoes

I think there is a difference between bringing up an old thread to offer a new solution or to ask a follow up question and bringing up an old thread to repeat what the prior responders said all that time ago.

With this thread for example, the answer that popups are not soundproof was answered. It was answered in the first two responses. Unless that answer has changed over the years, repeating what was said before doesn't really add anything for someone looking. And let's face it, some questions really are answered in the first response and the rest are just reiterating the first.

Now if someone came on now and answered the OP's secondary question "is there any after market sound proofing for a popup?", then that would be great. Maybe someone used car soundproofing material for window covers and found it cuts down on the sound intrusion, etc.

19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

20. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

We love going to sleep hearing those things as well, one place in particular is always reliable for whippoorwills. Southeastern portion of Minnesota. Also, like you said, not loud people or traffic. Hopefully things this year will quiet down in all aspects, especially outdoors.

Indiobravo likes this.