question about KOA Gettysburg, PA and alcohol policy

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jdefazio, Jul 22, 2015.

1. jdefazio

jdefazio New Member

I know when I was researching camp grounds in PA. The state run had and alcohol policy had to get a permit. Does the KOA's follow the same policy. Is it different because they are private camp grounds. Didn't know if it was state thing. I know in NY they have something similar for state camp grounds. They don't really enforce it. Unless your acting like an idiot.

2. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Don't know about that location specifically, but we've stayed at KOA's and have enjoyed alcoholic beverages at our campsite, and have never had any issue. Granted we don't set up a beer pong table or anything wild, and don't wander around the whole place carrying. But we don't go out of our way to hide it from staff either. Pretty sure that our state parks have the same policy, but IMO, if you are a person or group that can behave and enjoy a few drinks, you are unlikely to encounter any trouble.

Your mileage may vary, and all those other disclaimers go here at the end of the message.

3. jdefazio

jdefazio New Member

I just my wife and I and our dog. We won't be setting up and beer pong. Just have some cold ones and relaxing by the fire. Just wondering because My wife sister and nieces went to a camp ground in Mass. As soon as her niece of legal age crack a beer an officer came over an gave her a ticket. Like they were hidding in the woods watch.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

KOA in Georgia requires you pour alcoholic beverage in plastic cups. No problem here.

5. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Almost every campground I've been in has a no alcohol policy.

Its so they can easily kick you out IF you are causing problems.

Just don't cause problems.

If I don't have a lot of privacy, I pour my beer into a cup. Same for any booze. We keep the liquor bottles inside the camper or in the cooler and they only come out long enough to fill up a drink. We keep it quiet. No loud music. No shouting or yelling.

Don't give them a reason to bother you, and they won't.

Use black garbage bags, so a bunch of beer cans in the bag isn't obvious. Break down any cases.

Just don't be obvious.

Heck, we were camping at Dale Hollow last month, and I wanted to take some sippin' whiskey with me for while I was fishing. I rinsed out an empty can of rockstar that was in the van, filled it up and brought it with me. I sat at the fishing pier with my lines in the water for trout, sipping on Evan Williams and having a conversation with a DNR officer and he was none the wiser.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Gettysburg/Battlefield KOA
    Contact Information
    Info: 717-642-5713
    Email:gettysburgpa@mykoa.com

7. grnsourapple

grnsourapple "Time camping isn't spent, it's invested!"

Each KOA is run privately so the best resource for this is just calling the KOA directly. I just came back from the KOA in Myrtle Beach and they allowed alcohalic beverages. [:)O]

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

This! call them and ask what their policy is. I've stated at KOA's and they all allowed alcohol at the site. But each KOA is a franchise, privately owned and you need to ask each one their policy.

9. wusthof

wusthof Member

stay @ KOA in Lynden WA regularly and no probs there. if there's a policy about no booze, i ain't goin!

10. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Generally, private campgrounds have a less stringent policy regarding alcohol. But if you are being an a@@, then that is a different story. Most state parks have a no alcohol policy, but again if you are being an a@@ and loud and annoying to other campers, you can get kicked out. We have found that state parks with water access really enforce the no alcohol policy. That being said, DW and I can enjoy a beer around the campfire with little trouble from the rangers.

11. Groogrux

Groogrux New Member

My experience camping in PA is the privately owned CGs allow alcohol and the state parks do not. We prefer privately owned campgrounds for a variety of reasons, this being one of them. I'm not looking to get loud and rowdy, but I don't want to have to hide everything.

12. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

KOA in Hatteras actually sells it in the Office/Store... convenient!!

13. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

They sell wine at the Way Station store at the Big Meadows campground at Shenandoah National Park, another reason it is one of my favorites!

14. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

We camp in state parks all over Ma and that has never happened to us. We always figured it was an out to get rid of you if you were being rowdy, but not really enforced. I don't drink but most of the people with me do. They use infamous red cups.

15. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

KOA Copake NY sells it in the store, but they state very clearly in their policies about drunkenness and rude, loud behavior. It won't be tolerated. Like most have said, if I decide to have a cocktail or two at a campground (private or state) I am discreet. Gone are the days of getting hammered....