question about proper solar panel wiring

ricorob

Sep 11, 2014
Currently the +/- wires from the deep cell battery power everything in my popup camper. I've installed a 200w solar system. I've wired the system as show in the image except instead of the wires from the battery going to an Inverter, those 2 wires power the rv as normal. My question is should I power the rv only from the solar controller (ie remove the positive and negative wires from the battery and hook them up to the controller) or is it correct to have +/- leads going to the solar controller as well as leaving the exiting +/- leads that power the rv's systems?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/ricorob/_57_zps21cd318a.jpg

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
My question is should I power the rv only from the solar controller (ie remove the positive and negative wires from the battery and hook them up to the controller) or is it correct to have +/- leads going to the solar controller as well as leaving the exiting +/- leads that power the rv's systems?
NO do not go directly to the RV.
You must go from solar panel to solar charge controller to the battery in that order.
If you have a separate power line coming out of the solar controller then you can run a Inverter off of that.

ricorob

Sep 11, 2014
I've got +/- leads from the solar panels to the controller. +/- leads from the controller to my battery. Do I leave my existing battery leads that feed the 12v Dc to the rv on the battery or move them to the controller's DC output to power the existing electrical system?

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
ricorob said:
I've got +/- leads from the solar panels to the controller. +/- leads from the controller to my battery. Do I leave my existing battery leads that feed the 12v Dc to the rv on the battery or move them to the controller's DC output to power the existing electrical system?
Yes leave it as is.