Question about wood rot

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by sdclaw, Aug 16, 2019.

1. sdclaw

sdclaw New Member

I grew up camping in pop up campers. So I have a fair amount of experience with the nuances involved. Wetcanvas wet floors being partially inside and outside all at the same time I am comfortable with. I have decided to take the plunge with two young kids 4 and 6 into the pop-up camping lifestyle. Recently I've come upon used pop-up at a dealership that would seem to fit our needs quite well. It has a slide out Dinette as well as a porta-potty shower option. It looks absolutely ideal for our needs. It is an 11 year old Jayco model. Two things concerned me when looking at it at the dealership. The first is the toilet when flushed occasionally discharges a black fibrous like material. The service tech thinks that the toilet wasn't used much and dirt and sediment has collected on the inside. Since that tank is separate from the fresh water holding tank as well as the water inlet for a city hose connection I'm not so concerned about the water quality as I am with the effects of gunky water running through the pump and lines might have. I'm concerned that within short order I will burn up the pump or a line will get clogged with that dirt and debris. The larger concern is water rot primarily at one corner of the roof. The other three sides look literally brand new. However the corner that receives the majority of the runoff from the roof bone and air conditioning unit has water right to the point where it's a little soft along the bottom Edge and the half inch piece of particle board that sits on top of the metal lift arm and attaches to the side panel of the roof is significantly rotted. It is to the point where I'm concerned it may not hold up to regular use of lifting and lowering the roof. The roof also has half-dozen patches from where it looks like a tree limb may have fallen on the top and punctured the roof. Although after crawling around it feels quite solid. Is this type of wood rot inevitable with the purchase of a 10 year old popup? The dealership has offered to reduce their asking price to $4,500 4 the Jayco 1206 model. They've also said that the side plywood could be replaced at the cost of $1,000 or less. Does anyone have any general thoughts regarding this damage, it's repairability, or the thought that some water rot on the roof is an editable when buying a used 10 year old popup which the salesman kind of indicated was the case.

2. sdclaw

sdclaw New Member

I should mention that the rest of the unit appeared to be in very good condition. The canvas was relatively free of any mold or mildew spotting had virtually no tears and everything else on the inside appeared to be in good working order. Had it not been for the water damage on the corner I would be pulling away with a popup in tow behind me right now.

3. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

I'd never pay $4500 for a massive roof project type of popup. You are talking weeks and potentially hundreds of hours of work. If you keep hunting I hope you will find something that is not a massive project to fix the roof. The roof is the most expensive problem you can have to fix.

xxxapache, Arlyn Aronson and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ill agree, find something with no rot. Older even ,as long as its solid.

For the tolet, just as a fyi, on my theford a gew gaskets degraded and the winterizing or other stuff the previous owner put in the tank solidified and gave the exact condotion you described. I took out the hand pump, and gasket, rinsed with a pressure wand, hose would work and flushed it out. No more atuff clogging the holes and line.

Arlyn Aronson and Raycfe like this.
  5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We all need to remember. You can either spend your summer repairing your camper, or buy one that doesn't need any or modest amount of repairs and go camping. Even at $2000 and you spend another 2K in parts and 200 hours repairing it. Its still not worth it in my book.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Had an old Jayco and the side particle board only got worse even after I stopped the leak. So it will have to be fixed sooner vrs later. For that major roof repair I wouldn't want to pay anywhere close to what they are asking. Dealers do have a tendency to over charge. Then again so do private sales too. I agree with the others, keep looking. You can find something in time.