question for the A-Liner crowd

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by bob barnes, Jun 19, 2017.

1. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

I am getting ready for another extensive back surgery only 5 hours this time. I saw a post somewhere regarding 12v lifts they are not very expensive!

Looking to the future I may need something like this anyone have a comment? Or do I need to start considering a used Casita?

2. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    bob barnes likes this.
  3. bob barnes

yep the camper jack is the one I sprung for!!

4. bob barnes

Erik I am now at the point I am spending the inheritance I now don't care much for saving money unless its a lot I got the lift off ebay for 84 bux! With the new back surgery this entails freezing more stuff and going up the spine cleaning out stuff plus for some reason a lot of damaged tissue go figure. As I ponder all this there may be a Casita in our future!

We would still boonedock without the stress of lifting anything like the A-Liner panels. I have 8 dics now fused I think he said at least 4 more 5 hour surgery this time. I will have a plan after July 20th life is still good I will be able to walk. Last week camping I feel over 3x and had to have help to get up this is no picnic in the park!

5. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Hope your surgery goes well, Bob. I had a herniated sciatic disc in my lower back about 30 years ago, had an experimental procedure that involved injecting a papaya enzyme into the disc to dissolve the bulging part of the disc. The enzyme is like what's in Adolf's Meat Tenderizer, and it worked great for me. However later I was told that the cure was outlawed as too many patients were paralyzed for life instead of cured.

One of my latest Aliner mods was to create some "wind poles" like the OEM Aliner ones - 1" square aluminum poles pivoting on a heim joint at the roof peak that swing over to the opposite panel to tie the two together. Those poles can also be used as assist poles to raise the roof. That might be an alternative to a powered lift.

WildmanWells and bob barnes like this.
  6. bob barnes

eric I had one of those way back when later I had an xray and it showed a black place where my disch should have been. Very weird! My new back guru wont show me my new mri s. I have always went to the orthapaedic group!

7. bob barnes

erik if you go to the f/r website they have quite a discussion on this plus f/r is using this same thing but they are having problems with their lift. People are getting I think a wind lift off ebay with a 30in lift. I think that is more than enough!

8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Eric,

I'd like to know more about your wind pole mods. We haven't added a wind kit and our monsoons are notorious for windy conditions. I've looked at buying the Wind Cheetah but its pricey.

Let us know what's clever ideas you've done. Post any pics if you have them too.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

9. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

It'll be over week before I can post any photos as we're a vacation that we flew to for a change...

I went to a hardware store and bought a couple of heim joints, sorta like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECON-5-16-x-5-16-24-MALE-RH-ROD-ENDS-HEIM-JOINTS-HEIMS-/390492334939

I found a local source for aluminum tubing, got two six foot sections of 1" square tube, like this https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18014&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1270&top_cat=60
    At the same place I bought a half foot of .75" square aluminum bar stock, sorta like this https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1115&step=4&showunits=inches&id=999&top_cat=60
    The bar stock was cut into 3" lengths with a hacksaw. A 3" piece was epoxied and pinned into one end of each long piece of square tube, after first drilling and taping the end of the bar stock to allow the heim joint to screw in.

The hard part was fabricating a bracket to attach the heim joint to which in turn fastened to the roof side of the Aliner with sheet metal screws. Here a photo would help. Sorry

I purchased a foot of 1.25" aluminum tubing, like this https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18015&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1270&top_cat=60
    That was cut into four 3" pieces. Then using a hacksaw and file I laboriously cut off one of the sides, so instead of four sided tubing I had three sided channel pieces that the long 1" tubing rods would slide into from the side. These were attached to the sides of the roof at the hinge ends of the roof with sheet metal screws. Then the channel pieces and the long rods were drilled together for pins like these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...ted-Round-Head-Wire-Lock-Pin-807468/204276210

Sounds like a lot of work, and it was. Probably spent two days and nearly $100 in parts.

The rods are attached at the top of the roof on front facing roof panel with the heim joints, at the bottom for traveling in the channel pieces at the front of the front roof panel. After the roof is erected the rods can be detached from the channel in the front roof panel and swung down and over to attach to the channels in the rear roof panel, thus tying the two roof panels together. The heim joint allows the rod to swing over and around the air conditioning unit on the door side off the Aliner.

As I noted above, it was a lot of work and not cheap, but looks pretty good, and should work well. The Wind Cheetah probably isn't much more expensive. Ditto for buying the OEM accessory from Aliner, but I like to make things myself.
    (The reason I didn't go with the Wind Cheetah is that it can't be used as an aid to raising the roof and I've heard some stories about the seat belt material flapping in the breeze. Not sure if that's when driving down the road or when set up, but the "fix" seems to be twisting the belt. I didn't want to mess with that)
    One final note - a lot of sheet metal screws were used to attach things to the side of the roof panels. The important thing here is to only screw into the top inch of the sides, so that you're screwing into the edge of the foam roof structure, not putting screws where they will be interfering with the overlap of the roof and sides.

Have fun!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  10. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

We have the Wind Cheetah. If the strap flaps while driving down the road, we don't notice. The flapping that bothered us occurred when the camper was up and it was windy. A single twist of the strap did fix the problem.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  11. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Thanks Erik & Sotovoce.

That's very helpful info. Both versions sounds promising. Last May, the walls were shaking from a wind & snow storm. I would of been more confident if we had something in place. But it was after midnight and we decided to deal with the issue in the morning if possible. And went back to sleep.

We were spared the trouble of having to take down the roof and wait out the storm.

I appreciate your help.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

12. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

One appeal of the Wind Cheetah was that it would hold the roof sections together while raising the camper in a windy condition. Another was that we would not have to take any action to make it work. When we raise the camper, we are pushing the back roof up until it clicks with the front roof. Apparently, pushing the front roof would work as well since the wind kit/roof assist pushes the front roof. I like the system Erik described but, unlike Erik, we were not going to make one ourselves. I also like the wind kit/roof assist CNW sells now, but CNW did not offer it when we bought our camper.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  13. KJ Knowles

KJ Knowles Member

Our Aliner Classic is still pretty new, but the gas strut assists it came with practically put the roof up by themselves. As soon as the roof is unlatched, the roof panels head for the sky. And that is with the added weight of the soft dormers.

I don't know if it would be possible to retrofit the struts, however. I'm also curious to see how long they last, but replacement struts are not terribly expensive. (Just don't buy them from CNW.) [;)]

KJK

14. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

KJ Knowles, it is good to hear how well the gas struts work. As we age, we are losing our upper body strength. When it gets too hard to raise the roof as it is, I hope to install gas struts. Somewhere I saw a guide to retrofitting.

15. bob barnes

The raising thing is good but when closing you will have additional pressure to close the roof!

16. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

I haven't had trouble closing the roof. I just grab the edge and hang on it. Being a light weight, I also sort of jump up and down, which must be fun to watch.

17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Hoping your surgery goes well... Never good to go under the knife I guess... I have never been to a doctor yet except for some pills and I know that is bad... We all do preventive maintenance on our RV's hehe... I think most of folks that come from the farm life kinda fit this scenario... When it hits me I will be one hugh basket case I reckon...

Hang in there Mr Bob...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

18. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

I sure agree with your post. Most people should be able to get by with 20 to 40 pound force gas springs. Aliners come with up to 120 pound gas springs as I understand it.

Before the low-force gas springs were installed, I needed assistance to raise the panel due to the factory-installed torsion springs aging and deforming under constant compressed force. I observed that this is a serious flaw with the A-Frame concept (except for Chalets). Chalet trailers have a coil spring solution that the mechanical engineer partner said should revolutionize the concept of raising A-Frame roof panels. When they include a tightening device to make up for aging of the coil springs, this would be the long-term solution for new A-Frame trailers. Someone posted that at one time Volkswagens had such a device for a coil spring in them.

Here is an article I wrote on installing them on your A-frame trailer:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/A-FrameTeam/files

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  19. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

I wrote an article on installing gas springs on an older A-Frame trailer. Since it was nowhere to be found on the web, somebody had to put it together and post it on the other A-Frame forums with Yahoo and Facebook. The file it too big to upload to this website so see:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/A-FrameTeam/files

. If the springs are installed ideally, there will be little effort required to raise or lower the roof panels. Note that the solution used for new A-Frame trailers is based on new internal torsion springs. For an older trailer with older torsion springs, more assistance is needed as the deformed torsion springs reach the point where they provide little uplift support. A slant the opposite of that used by Aliner would be more ideal for an A-Frame trailer with old, worn-out and deformed torsion springs. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    DiamondGirl likes this.
  20. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Brian, Just FYI I've tried the links in your various posts this morning and none have worked. Message:

Error occurred while downloading the file. Please click here to try again.