Question: How often do you repack wheel bearings on your pop up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by kmeece, May 9, 2013.

1. kmeece

kmeece New Member

I was told that you should repack wheel bearings every year. Is that true? Is it hard to do yourself?
    [MOD]

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

A lot of people do them every year but that may not be necessary if you only use it a few times a year on short trips. My TrailManor has 14" tires and the dealer said to do those every two years or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

3. turborich

turborich Active Member

How often do you repack the front wheel bearings on your vehicle? (assuming it has conventional wheel bearings) Every few years is fine and you put many more miles on your vehicle. I've repacked the front bearings on my 2000 Ford Expedition 2 times in 150,000 miles. Never had any issues.

I think the real problem is that many trailer axles come with very minimal grease at time of purchase. I've seen this several times.

Every two years or 12,000 miles as mentioned above by UT should be fine. Every year is overkill unless you really rack up the miles in a hurry.

4. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

The rule of thumb is 12k miles or two years. If you have grease fittings in the axles, give them a shot before every trip.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I'll do mine every year, but that is via the E-Z fill zerk fitting on the end of the axle. Just lift that wheel, pop off the cover, install grease gun and pump while spinning the tire. Clean up all the old grease that comes out the end of the axle.

I'll probably pull the bearings out every three years and do a check of the bearings/races/brakes and repack.

6. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

My trailer is about 3 years old. I've only had it a year, so i don't know how the PO took care of it. I recently had to take one side of the axle apart to fix a faulty brake wire that was shorting out against the backing plate. My bearings looked fine and had plenty of grease still all over them and this is 3 years we're talking. So as previously stated, a two year interval should be just fine. You don't have to disassemble them for greasing if you have a zerk fitting on the end of the spindle. You'll probably have problems with the brakes long before you have problems with the bearings. You'd be able to check the bearings easy enough when you service the brakes at that point.

7. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I havent done them since I have owned my trailer. Knock on wood no issues. I have taken it on many 500 plus mile trips and dragged it all the way across the country. I do need to do just haven't. Its not hard just a little messy.

8. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

I asked the PO of my new camper and he hadnt changed the tires or packed the bearings since he bouught it off a dealer lot used in 2004. Two days after I bought it, I ordered new tires and wheels, and last night I ordered new bearing kits.

9. No Place Is Home

No Place Is Home New Member

The smaller the tire the more revolutions it makes per mile- translating to more heat. If you are running 8" wheels it makes sense to do them every year. 14" or 15" wheels can be done every 2 years.
    Of course if you don't use it much it can be stretched to longer intervals but when you're stuck on the side of the highway with the trailer wheel rolling past you, you will wish you had done the maintenance at home.

10. T-Rex

T-Rex Jesus Saves!

If the wheel spins freely and doesn't make any noise, can I assume it's OK?

11. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

We do it every year. I'd rather be proactive and save myself headaches down the line.

12. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

A better way is too monitor the temperature on a trip. Old way, put your hand on the hub. New way, use an infared thermometer from Harbor Freight (very accurate BTW). After a few trips you know what's normal in different weather. If you use the "old way", be careful. You could get burned if they are running hot. But normally bearings don't just start running hot right away. You'll notice a gradual buildup over several trips. I usually check ours while making a gas stop.

13. T-Rex

T-Rex Jesus Saves!

That's a great tip thanks, ghacker!

14. Geordie

Geordie New Member

I use bearing buddies, a little messy but makes greasing a snap!

15. popitup84

popitup84 New Member

i also have bearing buddies...i'm am a little unsure on one thing....when do you know its time to re-lube? new b question probably i know but i've been curious...

16. T-Rex

T-Rex Jesus Saves!

17. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

The new new way is an air pressure monitoring system that also monitors the heat inside the tires. If bearing start to heat up, air in side the tire will also rise. I just purchased the Tire Minder system and will install it this weekend. Monitors both air pressure and air temp inside the tire. So if pressure is high and ok, and the tire starts to heat up, something is wrong.

18. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

19. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Bearing buddies on a PUP can fill the brake drums with grease .... a very bad thing. They are designed to force water out of the bearings, common problem on boat trailers, the grease then spins out all over the place. For those of you with bearing buddies, use caution. You may not have a problem but other may. We also always suggest the PUPs have brakes and they get used. Don't want to step on toes here. Sorry if I do, I am not doing it on to hurt anyone feelings. Just my 2 cents which isn't worth a nickel.

20. jackk

jackk Member

Just did mine for the first time. Pretty easy. Get yourself some latex gloves, it's pretty messy.